What are very specific things you like to see in drum corps?

- Color guard members who do flips/cartwheels

- Those props that look solid but can break apart (like mandarins and phantom this year)

- when they begin playing the original version of a song, then the corps finishes it off

- when they spread out/cluster together to make it look like there's more or less people in the corps

- the color guard features where they line up, and when person 1 catches, then person 2 starts throwing and so on

What are some very specific things in drum corps you like? These are some of mine, I don't know if there's terms for these

Mass unison flag work.  

Troopers and Crossmen have some super effective moments doing this.  

If it's interspersed with other equipment work, it can be even more. Crossmen's work during Funeral for a Friend a few years back with the umbrellas and flags was an amazing visual moment.  Too bad music sync rights meant it got cut from the BlueRays... 😞. I don't think I've ever found it online either. 

• Like 1

There are certain "only in drum corps" things that you see from time to time.

2019 Crown snare line at tacet, turning to face the horn line, then bending backward in the wash of the wall of sound. It was brief, it was subtle, it was not the focal point (the brass was!), and it was totally drum corps.

I love stick flashes in the battery. Troopers do the 11 over the cross sabers in every season in every show. You learn to look for it. SCV has their trademark "muscle" flash. Etc. Totally drum corps.

Bones.

• Like 2

I think it was Troopers that did 8 counts of real, honest-to-goodness high mark time last night— goosebump moment.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TRacer said:

I think it was Troopers that did 8 counts of real, honest-to-goodness high mark time last night— goosebump moment.

They did!   And it was sharp!  My heart soared and I commented on it.   

New uses of common items.  Props that integrate as a moving entity with the show.  (less stuff on the field but more conscientious use of that staff)  Thematic idea carried through every component. Electrics which don’t feel forced. 

brass that play in tune, in time, in style. Trombones not constricted to standing still and making slidey noises. 

Members treated well.