Phantom Regiment 2023

4 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Agreed! Regiment designers may be well-served to help us out with this.

It's, of course, still early, and they may have more info releases planned. The first vid, however,wasn't helpful.

Maybe this will help?

https://mailchi.mp/regiment/introducing-exogenesis?e=72095a330d

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I got that email too and already fully wigged out. I'm excited to drive down to EIU on the 19th because I have literally heard NOTHING of the show this year already... I usually go to at least one camp each off-season, and I did this year, but that was only to talk to Robert Cawthorne. I didn't hear any of the music because I didn't exactly know where in the school rehearsal spots were...

On 5/25/2023 at 8:38 PM, Sutasaurus said:

You and I don’t agree on many things and we probably won’t going forward. No problema. I didn’t miss your point …thank you.  I don’t think people need to be spoon fed concepts.  Let your imagination take over and let the season play out. When did folks get so lazy that they have to be “instructed” on what a show is all about? No disrespect to BAC’s vid but I don’t see it as a trend setter for the 2023 season.

My money is on how a show engages the audience and not what “armchair critics” like ourselves have to say about a program.

Flame on….

Spot on. How did people manage to enjoy shows back in the day before the internet, when they simply heard a show title or the songs being played as a corps was coming onto the field?

Abstract and non-literal themes can work just fine. 

Also, I may not know every DCI book JD Shaw arranged, but I feel safe in saying I haven't met a JD Shaw book I didn't like. Therefore I'm not worried about Regiment 2023.

If I may add to you your post... 

My money is on how a show engages the audience and not what “armchair critics” like ourselves have to say about a program, ESPECIALLY WITHOUT SEEING A PERFORMANCE. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, RebelGTP said:

I got that email too and already fully wigged out. I'm excited to drive down to EIU on the 19th because I have literally heard NOTHING of the show this year already... I usually go to at least one camp each off-season, and I did this year, but that was only to talk to Robert Cawthorne. I didn't hear any of the music because I didn't exactly know where in the school rehearsal spots were...

You'll be in the wrong state if you take merch to EIU on the 19th. You're going to Evansville, IN on the 19th 😉

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 7:34 AM, gak27 said:

For some reason, the video segment for "Supremacy" (in conjunction with the show title) made me think of this:

video.yahoomovies.com@d6c620d8-87ba-3d23

Perhaps intended or unintended by the show designers, these open interpretations of a show by each audience member are fun! Making connections to other forms of media (image from 1982's Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan) or personal experiences can make this show and every show unique to each individual watching the performance, as we can all take away something different.

The connection and imagery shared between the show and the Genesis planet from Star Trek...definitely on to something. Thanks for sharing! 

1 hour ago, rcawth said:

You'll be in the wrong state if you take merch to EIU on the 19th. You're going to Evansville, IN on the 19th 😉

I thought I was told EIU but I'll be going anywhere you tell me...

Edited by RebelGTP
Semantics

21 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

And for the record, I'll bet 99% of those people don't know what the #### "Exogenesis" is either.

I have never heard of "exogenesis" prior to the show announcement myself, and I am also a new listener to Muse thanks to this as well. From the basic limited Google-searching I did, and I am by no means an expert, I was able to gather these scientific theories that attempt to answer the question: "Where did life come from?".

There are of course other theories and beliefs that attempt to answer this question as well, and respectfully I only included these to stay as close to on topic of discussion about Regiment's show title and theme as possible.

Biogenesis: the development of life from preexisting life. Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/biogenesis

Abiogenesis (spontaneous generation): the origin of life from nonliving matter, specifically : a theory in the evolution of early life on earth: organic molecules and subsequent simple life forms first originated from inorganic substances. Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abiogenesis

Exogenesis (credit to @Sutasaurus for sharing this first as well): the hypothesis that life originated elsewhere in the universe and was spread to Earth. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exogenesis 

I found limited research and information on exogenesis (oddly enough not in Webster's dictionary), however a book published by Bruce R. Fenton seems to specifically cover this topic in depth for those interested:  https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/50915551

Obviously not the first time drum corps has performed shows and told stories about the cosmos and the journey of life and death. If Regiment intends to tackle these concepts visually and musically, this has the potential to be one of the most fascinating and cerebral shows they have ever produced! Side note, curious that Regiment did not select musical selections from Muse's Exogenesis: Symphony, although it may have potentially served as inspiration for the show. 

Are most fans going to read THIS much into it and research this stuff, probably not. All open to interpretation, and I do look forward to hearing what others take away from the show this season!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, billj said:

Spot on. How did people manage to enjoy shows back in the day before the internet, when they simply heard a show title or the songs being played as a corps was coming onto the field?

Abstract and non-literal themes can work just fine. 

Also, I may not know every DCI book JD Shaw arranged, but I feel safe in saying I haven't met a JD Shaw book I didn't like. Therefore I'm not worried about Regiment 2023.

If I may add to you your post... 

My money is on how a show engages the audience and not what “armchair critics” like ourselves have to say about a program, ESPECIALLY WITHOUT SEEING A PERFORMANCE. 

No one’s seen any performance yet! Exactly! I’m definitely looking forward to how this, and many shows this year are gonna turn out, while a stellar performance probably won’t uplift a meh design too much(maybe it might for some!), a meh performance of the most fine art design known to man most certainly won’t be well-received either🤷‍♂️ Enjoy the performances!!

2 hours ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

No one’s seen any performance yet! Exactly! I’m definitely looking forward to how this, and many shows this year are gonna turn out, while a stellar performance probably won’t uplift a meh design too much(maybe it might for some!), a meh performance of the most fine art design known to man most certainly won’t be well-received either🤷‍♂️ Enjoy the performances!!

there's online chatter about the closer being a hit with the MMs. closers are tricky, they should grow out of everything that came before, but also be different from everything that came before. And a wrong-footed closer could (but usually not) ruin an otherwise brilliant show. Cant' wait to see it IRL

• Like 3