Phantom Regiment 2023

Phantom is doing a great job this year.  And I appreciate how they have evolved over the past few years.  That being said, they remind me of the Scouts last year.  Other than the closing minute, there is limited drill where the people actually moving are the ones playing.  I know that is not something that is necessarily needed now, but, too much of having one section standstill and play while others move or just simply being silent while running into the pre-designed circular tarp is just disappointing for me from Phantom.  But, I have not seen them live, so I reserve my right to change my mind.

13 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

Phantom is doing a great job this year.  And I appreciate how they have evolved over the past few years.  That being said, they remind me of the Scouts last year.  Other than the closing minute, there is limited drill where the people actually moving are the ones playing.  I know that is not something that is necessarily needed now, but, too much of having one section standstill and play while others move or just simply being silent while running into the pre-designed circular tarp is just disappointing for me from Phantom.  But, I have not seen them live, so I reserve my right to change my mind.

I think a lot of it boils down to them recognizing that most of the members learned or are learning a completely new, historically polar opposite marching technique this season. IMO, it’s just a conscious design choice they’ve made for this year to maximize visual proficiency scores as they transition to the bent leg technique. Same goes with the skirts and some other components of the show. In all honesty, we gotta remember how new this design staff is to Phantom and where Phantom was two competitive seasons ago haha.

FWIW, Phantom’s made it pretty clear that they want a demanding drill program to be part of their identity going forth. With a really great drill writer like Estudillo and the SCV/Cavies visual staff, I don’t see that not happening.

Edited by college-phan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, college-phan said:

I think a lot of it boils down to them recognizing that most of the members learned or are learning a completely new, historically polar opposite marching technique this season. IMO, it’s just a conscious design choice they’ve made for this year to maximize visual proficiency scores as they transition to the bent leg technique. Same goes with the skirts and some other components of the show. In all honesty, we gotta remember how new this design staff is to Phantom and where Phantom was two competitive seasons ago haha.

FWIW, Phantom’s made it pretty clear that they want a demanding drill program to be part of their identity going forth. With a really great drill writer like Estudillo and the SCV/Cavies visual staff, I don’t see that not happening.

Thank you for the additional context.  I just hope it is not visual demand in drill in the absence of actually playing.  SCV did some great drill, but they also had a handful of players on a platform stationary while everyone else moved.  I am sure Phantom will find the right balance.  They usually do!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PR90 said:

Any word on a rehearsal site for the Murfreesboro show?

Siegel HS

12 hours ago, Tony L. said:

Tony, I somewhat agree! The way I look at this is that Phantoms Team is almost there in terms of design and execution. The cleaning I would like to see is in two places...Since there is so much follow the leader in the drill, members should not miss their marks.

Secondly, more attention needs to be paid to members playing...Release issues, and a few members overplaying distract from their musical execution and G.E. After last year's cleaning before finals, I expect the same this year.

I expect this show to be in the top five come finals night. 

Finally, I think Phantom is on the verge of getting back to being a top 3 contender.

College-Phan Thank you for the video...I would love for the powers that be have a camera low and close on the 50. Gives that feeling I had when I marched...Felt like I was part of the show.

Great video!

Edited by Phantombari1
  • Like 1

Thanks to Flo, I have been able to see this year's show several times this season.  Musically it is pure Regiment.  Dark colors and massive ensemble presentations.  Visually, it's another animal.  Possibly the most aggressive approach ever by this team.  I love it!  I was fortunate to adjudicate & teach many DCM & DCI groups from 1986 until 2004 when DCM finally crumbled.  This is a good year.  The activity has certainly changed but I think the members are the ones who have benefited from that change.  The top 15 groups play and march better than ever.  The instructional staff members are more competent.  The combined demands of music and marching are sometimes a bit scary.  My hat is off to them and I look forward to Championship week.

• Like 1