Phantom Regiment 2023

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

Absolutely not. This year's show is far more sophisticated than 2022, and it's on the path to what they need to be doing. 

I alluded to this in the Allentown show thread, but I don't think the corps should be shouldered with unrealistic expectations from fans. Someone in this thread in the last couple weeks suggested top 4. Seriously?!?

I'd like to see Regiment in the top 6, but I'm far more interested in competence, and they have that in spades after years without it. Also, if they wind up in 7th, that means Mandarins made the top 6 for the first time ever, and Cadets are in the top 6 for back-to-back seasons for the first time since 2016. Both of these feats would be remarkable.

Also, let's not act as though they didn't beat Cavies in 2022 by essentially a rounding error. They easily could've been 9th last year.

Also, the difference between 5th and 7th this season is going to be essentially nonexistent. It will just come down to judge panel preferences 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Just read that. I believe they are trying to move in directions that take some of the financial burden off the corps and its members. If the corps wants to continue to improve placement it will require a significant monetary commitment. I would assume that means more organizations that cost the participant, and outreach/community programs that are grant-worthy. Phantom needs to become more than just a drum corps that supports some small side projects. That is definitely what some of the top tier DCI groups are doing to support their corps. 

Edited by PRomoter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After all of these years, I still don't quite understand why corps are not eligible for state and federal performing arts grants. Or maybe they are and I just don't know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

After all of these years, I still don't quite understand why corps are not eligible for state and federal performing arts grants. Or maybe they are and I just don't know. 

Imagine what drum corps and other youth arts organizations - and the arts in general - could be if this country supported the arts...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Hear hear!

Does anyone know where Phantom is practicing this week? I would love to see them before the Finals

17 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

They tend to close practice during finals week.

I've never had a problem with getting in, other than when they had covid concerns