Madison Scouts 2023

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Hostile? Ummm…. Doxxing for sure wasn’t cool

You can get the information the OP posted directly from the Forward Performing Arts website, so it's not like he shared any information that isn't easily accessible. However, I wouldn't have posted it.

40 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

You can get the information the OP posted directly from the Forward Performing Arts website, so it's not like he shared any information that isn't easily accessible. However, I wouldn't have posted it.

Then if you are so inclined you know where to go get the information. DCP is not the place for whipping the pitchfork brigade up into a frenzy. If that is the sort of thing you are into might I suggest RAMD as that is probably more your speed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

In Bb as Hy Dreitzer intended 

Excuse me Jeff... ( quiet sob)..I get a tad emotional when I see Hy's name...He was my ONLY horn instructor..thanks for the memory...peace

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cainan said:

Then if you are so inclined you know where to go get the information. DCP is not the place for whipping the pitchfork brigade up into a frenzy. If that is the sort of thing you are into might I suggest RAMD as that is probably more your speed.

I understand, and I apologize.

2 hours ago, Gantang said:

FOR THOSE ACCUSING TOXIC MASCULINITY

I urge you to learn about the Madison Scouts by watching Scout's Honor: Inside a Marching Brotherhood. If, after viewing that movie you still think Madison wasn't "inclusive" and was an environment that creates toxicity, you may need to look inside yourself. 

Yup. 100%. 

• Like 1

I've seen four performances now since the preview, all the way through Rockford, and here's my judge tape no one asked for:

Strengths

• Horns. Say what you will about old vs new Madison, but one thing they haven't lost is the ability to blast the bleachers with a good power chord. Boerma's score is really pushing them in a good way, and passages that were muddy in June now have daylight you can drive a truck through. So that's progress.
  • Percussion. Battery seems very tight this year, and I wish they'd showcase them a bit more. Perhaps passé and revealing my age, but I long for the old days where the drum feature would have the snares playing on the marching cymbals and doing drum to drum. An old fart can dream. Still, they're crisp and the playing is uniformly strong both visually and sonically. Front ensemble is on fire too, especially during the closer.  

Challenges

• Design. I'm optimistically hoping they plan on doing some progressive disclosure with the ball this week heading into the Southwestern conference. Make it bloom, pull silks out across the field during the closer like how the Troopers pulled out all the black "oil" from the derrick last year. I actually saw the ball up close and there are little recesses in the speaker cones where they could totally hide balls of fabric. I mean, I'm no David Copperfield, but sometimes you gotta pull a quarter out of a field judge's ear.  
  • Soloists. I have no doubt these players will one day be monsters, but the relative youth of the corps seems to really come out in the intonation struggles on some of these key parts, especially at the beginning. They need to really lean into what the late Ray Baumgardt would always call "intestinal fortitude" (said while pushing his fist into your gut). They actually nail some of them, and it does sound phenomenal when they do. Maybe just trim around the beginning, or phrase the opening section differently.

Those are my thoughts from the armchair. Best of luck to the Scouts as they hit the swamp tour this week.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1992AllOverAgain said:

I've seen four performances now since the preview, all the way through Rockford, and here's my judge tape no one asked for:

Strengths

• Horns. Say what you will about old vs new Madison, but one thing they haven't lost is the ability to blast the bleachers with a good power chord. Boerma's score is really pushing them in a good way, and passages that were muddy in June now have daylight you can drive a truck through. So that's progress.
  • Percussion. Battery seems very tight this year, and I wish they'd showcase them a bit more. Perhaps passé and revealing my age, but I long for the old days where the drum feature would have the snares playing on the marching cymbals and doing drum to drum. An old fart can dream. Still, they're crisp and the playing is uniformly strong both visually and sonically. Front ensemble is on fire too, especially during the closer.  

Challenges

• Design. I'm optimistically hoping they plan on doing some progressive disclosure with the ball this week heading into the Southwestern conference. Make it bloom, pull silks out across the field during the closer like how the Troopers pulled out all the black "oil" from the derrick last year. I actually saw the ball up close and there are little recesses in the speaker cones where they could totally hide balls of fabric. I mean, I'm no David Copperfield, but sometimes you gotta pull a quarter out of a field judge's ear.  
  • Soloists. I have no doubt these players will one day be monsters, but the relative youth of the corps seems to really come out in the intonation struggles on some of these key parts, especially at the beginning. They need to really lean into what the late Ray Baumgardt would always call "intestinal fortitude" (said while pushing his fist into your gut). They actually nail some of them, and it does sound phenomenal when they do. Maybe just trim around the beginning, or phrase the opening section differently.

Those are my thoughts from the armchair. Best of luck to the Scouts as they hit the swamp tour this week.

Thank you for the brief but comprehensive assessment! 

• Thanks 1

Ruh roh. If SCV were active Madison would be sitting in 17th place after tonight and Spirit is in the rear view mirror and closing fast. Did they make changes since the last show??

• Like 1

Spirit is no longer in the rearview mirror.

If SCV were marching, Scouts would be fighting for Semis.

For those who still claim nothing is wrong with leadership, Prelims are in 22 days and the corps is slipping behind others. How long will that be acceptable before a change is made? Boards fired Stewart, Wall, and Salas for not being competitive (and other reasons), so there is a precedent.

Low placements  = fewer quality auditionees. Lower quality auditionees = lower placements, and the circle continues. 

THE Madison Scouts will take the field in San Antonio nearly 6 hours before BD. When they're performing the majority of ticket holders will still be on their way to the stadium.

I applaud the member for pushing every day to correct the flaws that are pointed out by the techs. I sincerely wish those young men and women had people at the top who pushed as hard to correct their flaws which are being pointed out by "techs" only to be told, "I'm doing it right." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spirit will definitely beat them, then we have to worry about Music City and Genesis.

Semifinals is 25 corps, so the Scouts will no doubt be there, but this is most likely going to be a drop in placement from last year. 

And, again, nothing will change.

• Like 1