Madison Scouts 2023

No one has mentioned a very important aspect of success. And that is finding and KEEPING a good staff. That’s beyond money. That’s creating a culture that people want to stay with. Many former Madison staff have talked about how insufferable and hard it is to work under CK. Several former BOD members and staff have been bullied or summarily fired for simply questioning him. The staff turnover rate is very high at Madison. It’s hard to build long term success when you have to start over couple of years. Someone said Alumni should donate more….that’s hard to do when you don’t trust how the leadership is handling that money. Aussies, spats and Malaguena have zero to do with it. That’s a flimsy straw man argument used to deflect criticism away from leadership. Blue Devils have some of the same staff for 30 years….that’s not just because BD has deep pockets….it’s because it’s a great place to work and their leadership has created a culture that people want to be a part of….every part of that organization screams excellence and consistency. 

Edited by Steven Rocco94
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Steven Rocco94 said:

Many former Madison staff have talked about how insufferable and hard it is to work under CK. Several former BOD members and staff have been bullied or summarily fired for simply questioning him. 

Yep, and this is why I’m so venomous. I just don’t want Chris K to have any type of success in any way, shape or form, because people like that do not deserve success. But, sadly, I don’t see anything changing. If finishing 17th in 2019 (Madison’s lowest placement in the DCI era) wasn’t enough, nothing will be. 

I just don’t know how any organization can operate this way. How do you have a total dictator running things? How are there no checks and balances? How is there not a Board in place that has some amount of power and authority? It’s really a disaster, but people will keep defending. We see it on this thread.

Edited by Vuitton

I would love to talk to some of the board members and ask them “are you truly happy and proud of where the organization is right now?….not just competitively, but in all areas?” I’m guessing a fair number of them would say no….but they’re too afraid of standing up to CK.

Edited by Steven Rocco94
  • Like 2

I am concerned about the future of the Madison Scouts, especially with the way this year has turned out.  I don't see MS having a great recruiting year due to the placement and toxicity.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

I am concerned about the future of the Madison Scouts, especially with the way this year has turned out.  I don't see MS having a great recruiting year due to the placement and toxicity.

Also, I just noticed that Madison will not be on the Big Live Loud broadcast on Thursday. The leadership says that competition doesnt matter. Here’s a case where low placement now impacts a powerful recruiting tool - national media coverage. How many potential members or supporters are watching that broadcast that will not get to see Madison? But good job leadership! Everything is wonderful!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Vuitton said:

Chris H is an avid support of Chris K and the leadership at Madison. I would take what he says with the smallest grain of salt.

What about Mason? Mason got the Scouts back into the top 8 in 2015 for the first time since 2005. I know he was not with Madison in 2015, but the foundations he laid paved the way to that 8th place finish. Mason had a proven track record of success. He was the best thing to happen to Madison in decades. If he were here and Chris K out, I have no doubt Madison would be a much for successful corps.

NOTHING is going to change at Madison until the Board and Chris are axed. But, that is never going to happen.

Ask yourself why board meetings are closed? It’s because it’s a fascist dictatorship and criticism ist verboten!

100% spot on accurate. 

55 minutes ago, Steven Rocco94 said:

No one has mentioned a very important aspect of success. And that is finding and KEEPING a good staff. That’s beyond money. That’s creating a culture that people want to stay with. Many former Madison staff have talked about how insufferable and hard it is to work under CK. Several former BOD members and staff have been bullied or summarily fired for simply questioning him. The staff turnover rate is very high at Madison. It’s hard to build long term success when you have to start over couple of years. Someone said Alumni should donate more….that’s hard to do when you don’t trust how the leadership is handling that money. Aussies, spats and Malaguena have zero to do with it. That’s a flimsy straw man argument used to deflect criticism away from leadership. Blue Devils have some of the same staff for 30 years….that’s not just because BD has deep pockets….it’s because it’s a great place to work and their leadership has created a culture that people want to be a part of….every part of that organization screams excellence and consistency. 

What you described is the result of Insecure paranoid leadership at Madison.

Fire this regime. 

Edited by TenHut
  • Thanks 1

Largest part of success, they are on the field this year unlike some others.

• Like 1

The show is not good. Fire Jason Robb and Bellamy, replace them with experienced designers and you'll see a lot of problems fix themselves. It ALL comes down to staging and design. 

That color guard number could be points better with a quality product. 

Edited by MM2006
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, bluecoats88 said:

The People of Madison

And what does that mean as a brand or identity? The People in the actual city of Madison are anything but a cohesive group of individuals coming together with a common goal and an agreed-upon way to reach that goal.

The leadership that's been in place for 40 years has made decisions that have led to the demise of a once great, safe, and quirky city. The leadership has turned Madison into a mediocre, unsafe, and awful haven for the homeless and criminal elements, all the while telling the long-term residents of Madison that their opinion is useless and unwelcome because they are trying to hold onto a version of Madison that has long since died.

We moved away because being one of the People of the City of Madison was no longer enjoyable, and our quality of life took a dump. Will 17th place in Semi-Finals be considered Scouts taking a dump? (SCV would have smoked Scouts, so make that 18th.)