It's time to wake up this Open Class Forum!

The good news is that from all reports, the remaining Open Class corps will all be larger in size this year.  They have found a way to recover from the Covid downtime and the increase in corps size to 165 last year - the upper World Class corps seemed to be the beneficiary of this increase in 2022.  That was a double whammy for Open Class in 2022.  Add inflation to that, and OC took a big hit.

The bad news is that we lost 3 Open Class corps in the last year (SCVC, Louisiana Stars and Legends) and BDB will no longer be coming to Championships.  Heat Wave has also decided not to come in 2023. That leaves us with only 11 entries in Open Prelims (last year there were 14), so everyone makes OC Finals this year.  Eclipse is listed on the DCI website, but they are probably in exhibition since they are a SoundSport team.  Here are the OC corps attending Championships in Indy:

• 7th Regiment - New London, CT
  • Colt Cadets - Dubuque, IA
  • Columbians - Tri-Cities, WA
  • Gold - San Diego, CA
  • Guardians - Houston, TX
  • Les Stentors - Sherbrooke, QC
  • Raiders - Princeton, NJ
  • River City Rhythm - Anoka, MN
  • Southwind - Mobile, AL
  • Spartans - Nashua, NH
  • The Battalion - Salt Lake City, UT
  • Eclipse - Indianapolis, IN (exhibition?)

The good news for 2023 is that all OC corps will a be much improved over last year, but the top 6 OC corps should be especially strong and very entertaining (Columbians, Gold, Guardians, Southwind, Spartans, The Battalion).

Hopefully, next year a few groups emerge from SoundSport and apply for OC membership in 2024 or 2025 (Memphis Blues, Eclipse, Gems, etc.), or a couple of other OC corps decide to make the trip to Championships in 2023 (Heat Wave, Vessell, Golden Empire, Impulse).  For now, we don't know what the impact will be when All Age comes to Indy.

We all need to support Open Class more than ever!  Cheer loudly for them when they are at World Class shows, attend Open Class shows, send each of them $10, volunteer, or buy a tee shirt. 

• Thanks 1

considering open class get $0 per performance in OC shows, and the majority of their operating budget comes from tuition alone, I'd say we're lucky there's 11 left. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Open class predictions

1.    Spartans

2.   Gold

3.   Battalion

4.   Columbians

5.   Guardians 

6.   River City

1-6 Larger open class corps seem to be rebounding nicely.

7.   7th Regiment 

8.   Raiders

9.   Southwind

10.  Les Stentors

11.  Colt Cadets

On 6/15/2023 at 10:51 AM, C.Holland said:

considering open class get $0 per performance in OC shows, and the majority of their operating budget comes from tuition alone, I'd say we're lucky there's 11 left. 

I hear that 2 of the OC groups will be requesting to move to World in 2024 for that specific reason.

8 hours ago, fsthnds said:

I hear that 2 of the OC groups will be requesting to move to World in 2024 for that specific reason.

It’s a nicer take home at the end of the season, but the approaches fees still barely fill a diesel tank.  It’s a long game to move up, and a gamble.  Like moving up to premier league futbol, it can be both a blessing for the rewards and support, but hell in the process to have to spend significant amounts of cash to get to that point, with the gamble being you’ve spent and spent, and you’re no better now than you were before.

16 hours ago, fsthnds said:

Which two are thinking of moving up?  I haven't heard anything about that.

1 hour ago, sanjoseDCfan said:

Which two are thinking of moving up?  I haven't heard anything about that.

If I had to take a guess and this is indeed factual, I would say Spartans and Gold.