It's time to wake up this Open Class Forum!

2 hours ago, sanjoseDCfan said:

Raiders (and Surf) debut today at a DCA show and Guardians debut at Little Rock DCI show.  Best of luck!

I'll be there later today, and I'm looking forward to seeing them.

A previous individual brought up the old Garden State Circuit. I was involved with them for a couple of years in the mid-nineties. Most of the corps were basically youth outreach organizations and did a lot of good for their performers. Many were Boys and Girls Club affiliated, like Kips Bay out of the Bronx. Spirit of Newark, Quest, the Musical Youth out of Mount Vernon, Phoenix, Southern Illusion were examples of those kinds of organizations. The Raiders and Surf were somewhat different animals in that they had the funding and other things that enabled them to compete on a national stage and were there mainly to show the flag and support the other organizations and the circuit, which they did admirably.

The problem hit when certain elements of the rest of the circuit were somehow convinced somewhere that they should all adapt the national touring model along with other things. The circuit collapsed within 2-3 years after that leaving pretty much Surf and the Raiders along with a couple on life support that disappeared later.

It was a shame in that had the circuit stayed the way it was and within its means and capabilities, a lot of youth were given positive opportunities to learn and grow. In a lot of urban school districts in the NE, Instrumental Music Education's been in trouble for decades and been underfunded and under-supported. I know. I've been there. The circuit gave the chance to play to a lot of deserving kids. To me, it's all a shame in the end what happened there.

• Sad 1

Not that it's particularly additive to the discussion, but for those who are numbers geeks and curious like I am:

I pulled all corps data from 1995, condensed it down to corps with placements next to their name, then removed duplicates and filtered out DCM Senior/DCA corps. That left me with 105 total junior corps receiving scores in 1995, of which 18 were in Division 1 prelims, leaving ~87 Division II/III junior corps competing in 1995.

Using the same method, I get 117 junior corps and 93 Division II/III in 1991. 

For 1985, it's 144 junior corps and 107 Division II/III.

I only pulled those three years. I assume it's possible we broke 100 in the 1990s, but either way it's pretty darn close. Certainly in the 80s.

• Like 1

The East Coast portion of the Open Class tour resumes July 21 (PA), July 22 (NJ), July 23 (CT), July 25 (NH). and July 26 (NY).  All OC corps will be out by then except for Columbians who debut 7/28 (PA).

On 6/15/2023 at 9:51 AM, C.Holland said:

considering open class get $0 per performance in OC shows, and the majority of their operating budget comes from tuition alone, I'd say we're lucky there's 11 left. 

Yup

• Sad 1

I believe Surf is still World Class, and they were extremely entertaining at the Buccaneer Classic. The Raiders should be fine and I think got off to a reasonable start there. I'm thinking with a show under their belts and some hard rehearsals this week, they'll show everyone something at Dover, PA on Friday. I just got my ticket. I hope I have a good experience Friday. I'm feeling very, very out of place in the DCA world.

6 hours ago, BigW said:

I believe Surf is still World Class, and they were extremely entertaining at the Buccaneer Classic. The Raiders should be fine and I think got off to a reasonable start there. I'm thinking with a show under their belts and some hard rehearsals this week, they'll show everyone something at Dover, PA on Friday. I just got my ticket. I hope I have a good experience Friday. I'm feeling very, very out of place in the DCA world.

I just finished my review of the show for Drum Corps World, and I had a lot of great things to say about both corps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kevingamin said:

I just finished my review of the show for Drum Corps World, and I had a lot of great things to say about both corps.

Kevin, if you ever read what was on my notebook about my state of mind and my feelings about going to that show before Surf took the field about how I pretty much felt... Surf was a bright point. As I said, they made me smile. When I finally get to the end of my review- That's a huge deal. I'm frankly scared to show ANY reactions at a DCA regular season show for fear of getting dirty looks from the Aunt Mabels and Uncle Clems. 

Edited by BigW

Nice video of Southwind on YouTube.  Entertaining show concept in my opinion.  Small but mighty!