Your Favorite 2023 Shows

I really can't get a read on all the visual aspects of the shows just yet. In fairness many of the corps still have a lot of cleaning to do and some have big changes to make. So from a music perspective here are my favs:

1. Boston & Carolina - these 2 have my favorite music books of the top 4 corps. Immensely challenging and incredibly well crafted. Very little dead weight. 
  2. The Cadets - a classic Jay Bocook brass score with amazing percussion writing. Not an overly contemporary book so those that prefer something more contemporary will have plenty of choice this summer. 
  3. Blue Devils and Phantom Regiment - BD's book is more straight forward and melodic. The ballad and ending will be fantastic but I love the whole book. Phantom is rocking some incredible stuff. A mix of contemporary writing and classic PR melodies with great development. The ballad will pull at the heart strings. 
  4. Bluecoats - a real treat and I honestly need a few more reads on this. It could move up. The charts definitely groove hard with Doug's classic arranging style that often incorporates minimalist-style treatment of rhythms/motifs that repeat as other elements get layered on. The trombone section feature is nasty in the best sense and absolutely draws you in. 

As for the others I have not really heard anyone that I feel has a bad music book. I need more of a listen to Mandarins, Blue Stars, Cavaliers, Troopers, and Colts. I think Colts opening selection is wonderful. I like Madison a lot. Can't wait to hear BK, Crossmen, Spirit, Pacific Crest, Academy and others.  I spent some time listening to the Cavaliers show this after while at work. It's a complex cocktail, if you will, of themes and motifs. All of this is intended to celebrate their 75th Anniversary. I think they have chosen some excellent charts and if they can fine tune and finesse this music book to perfection they will easily become a favorite for many fans. 

• Like 2

Phantom, BAC, Crown, Cadets line the way for a really solid 2023 showing for DCI this year. Bloo is an interesting watch as well.

My top 3 favorite shows so far:

1. Bluecoats 

2. Troopers

3. Blue Stars 

Edited by Tupid_06

I'm into eclectic jazz, classic rock, and cinematic scores widely ranging from Abba to Zimmer, naturally I'll go with Troopers (how can anybody not be into Morricone esp. if you were into spaghetti westerns), Cadets (Corynorhinus > Not Saving The World, the former more subtle, latter too bold), BD (Joni Mitchell is this generation's Joni Mitchell; Cody Fry's Caves; Graettinger, JoJo), and Mandies (Simone, Cole, Marsalis oh my). They're all equally compelling to hear in DCI.

• Like 1

My favorite show musically is the Cadets' hands down...Since marching is no longer given priority over dancing/body movement etc., my opinion on movement and props will be reserved for future reference...The big Four (BC, BD, Crown and BAC) have amazing field presence and I expect a close race through finals...With PR and Mandarins ever improving, this feels like an anything can happen year...peace

• Like 1

I watched the Bluecoats show for the second time and I amend my previous post by saying:''  The Bluecoats are playing their ##### off "Still love Cadets but BC is sooooooGood !

On 7/3/2023 at 10:13 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

I guess I am in minority, but after Cadets on Flo last night I was ‘meh’.  They performed well, but it didn’t ‘do’ anything for me  

As an aside, they seem to have a smaller horn line than others.  Quality not quantity perhaps?

Sadly after seeing Cadets live I agree. The Brass is being OVERAMPLIFIED. Setting up 5 field microphones from 30 to 30 is unnecessary. Miking soloists I can live with but the whole brass line? What are you trying to hide or overcompensate for?