Sinning in Sactown (Capital Classic, July 10, 2023)

Judges put a bit of “ a hold “ on BD recent score increases tonite . Overall up .just .650 tonite . Lowest score increase from last night of any of the 9 Corps in the show . That’s interesting , imo . Mandarins for just one example are up more than double that ( 1.450 ) tonite in this show . 

Edited by Boss Anova

7 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

BDB, Gold, and Impulse all beat BK in CG for the 2nd straight night. 

That's a little shocking. Not knocking any of the open class corps, they're great.. but still o_o

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brass of the South said:

I expect a whole new BK color guard after some needed cleaning before Drums Along The Rockies. 4 straight show days with extensive travel doesn’t help.

True. But every WC corps they have competed with also had four straight show days with extensive travel. They all had to deal the rigors of traveling back and forth between NorCal and SoCal. 

• Like 4

Just got home from the show, and I’m still riding high on Mandarins breaking 80 before leaving California. The cool thing is that the corps was still on the field (having just finished their encore) when the scores were announced, so they got to let out a huge celebratory yell in front of a very appreciative hometown crowd. 

Some takeaways/final thoughts:

1) BD is unreal. I mean, when you’re a consistent champion, you’re going to get the best of the best clamoring to join, so clearly BD knows how to pick their MMs from among all their auditioners. 

2) Mandarins have a confidence and swagger with this show that screams “we are to be taken seriously.” I love it. I’m so proud of them and the step up that this year’s program has taken in just about every way. 

3) PC, BK, and Academy all had enjoyable shows that I MUCH preferred to any of their 2022 offerings. So bravo to their design teams for that. 

4) I will always have so much respect for Open Class (having grown up marching in Div. II/III), so bravo to Impulse, Golden Empire, BDB, and Gold. California has so many wonderful programs for students to choose from if they want to march drum corps. 

5) I don’t know what it’s going to take, but the quality of audio that we get from Flo streams not only doesn’t do justice to these corps—it almost feels like the stream is deliberately lying to us. Stick-outs, thin and unbalanced sound, and all the other stuff that makes a corps’ performance sound extremely rough—that is NOT what it sounds like live. I mean, there was never a question that live would be better. But right now, live isn’t anywhere close to how these corps are being represented audio-wise on Flo. It’s really a dang shame. 

Edited by brassboy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Thank you all so much for the updates @brassboy and @Photographer Jim!

Really cool Mandarins got to celebrate their score tonight. This is a fun drum crisp season with so many good things happening.

Side notes: I know the sentiments about Flo and their issues and the sound issues. And I’ll admit the sound this year has been an issue and often sounds muffled at times. But we do have to remember they’re trying to record and live music event where the sound center is constantly moving and changing coming from all sorts of directions. It’s never going to be what it is live. And with all the corps using speakers and full sound boards now, mics just aren’t going to catch the ensemble sound the way the corps is trying to present it. At least for a niche activity live stream. I try to cut Flo some slack.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

True. But every WC corps they have competed with also had four straight show days with extensive travel. They all had to deal the rigors of traveling back and forth between NorCal and SoCal. 

This is true. These World Class Corps from Cali 9 ( and the Northwest) have to be given credit to for being national traveling corps too. They are not regional corps.  ( nothing wrong with being strickly a regional corps if thats the choice in these challenging economic times ) But these National Corps will come to the midwest, then come east from California and the Northwest, ie BD, Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Gold, Seattle Cascades. Mandarins will even come to New England from California to compete in shows. Kudos to all of them for choosing to do so., and being able to.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Thank you all so much for the updates @brassboy and @Photographer Jim!

Really cool Mandarins got to celebrate their score tonight. This is a fun drum crisp season with so many good things happening.

Side notes: I know the sentiments about Flo and their issues and the sound issues. And I’ll admit the sound this year has been an issue and often sounds muffled at times. But we do have to remember they’re trying to record and live music event where the sound center is constantly moving and changing coming from all sorts of directions. It’s never going to be what it is live. And with all the corps using speakers and full sound boards now, mics just aren’t going to catch the ensemble sound the way the corps is trying to present it. At least for a niche activity live stream. I try to cut Flo some slack.

I agree to cut flo some slack but I have to amp up my speaker system to 38 when I listen to flo and when commercials come on they blast our windows out (little exaggeration).  The typical volume for any other show or stream on the high end is 20.  So it makes you wonder why what they are streaming on flo with the show is 1/2 the volume of any other stream or commercial.  I am sure they can push that volume up a little bit to help with those at home and maybe that helps with how we perceive their sound.

• Like 4