Bluecoats, BD, and SA (TW: Sexual Assault)

Reading that is painful. It sounds like they were four to a room. Perhaps to minimize the number of rooms to spend on?  I don’t know what the protocol is for corps in hotels 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

They were not sharing rooms.  

Ok so “while other members were in the bed next to us”. Yeah. There’s room hopping going on here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Someone who marched Bluecoats last year has recently shared that she was SA’ed in her hotel room last year during finals by another member.  

That member is now marching Blue Devils.  

I wilL not share more details, but the first-hand account is available on Twitter.  

I have shared this information with BD’a ethics hotline because I am concerned about the safety of their members.  

We cannot let this get swept under the rug.   

PROTECT MEMBERS!  

Did this just come out like this week or was this reported last year?

I’ve always wondered the logistics of chaperoning something like that many people in a hotel. Aside from making arrangements for having two adult teams to camp the hallways 24/7 there’s gonna be room hopping.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Grandpa Joe said:

Room hopping or they were allowed to room together. Either way, not okay.

I’d agree. Policing that is harder logistically than “trusting the kids not to do it”. 

A night check or something could be done. But it’s likely they’d have to have an agreement with the hotel for access and or wake all the kids in the night at check times defeating the purpose of rest. 

I get why corps do hotels but it’s a logistical and liability nightmare 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

I’ve always wondered the logistics of chaperoning something like that many people in a hotel. Aside from making arrangements for having two adult teams to camp the hallways 24/7 there’s gonna be room hopping.  

Having dealt with large high school programs, it's actually quite manageable. You basically explained it for yourself in your second sentence. One male and one female adult staff member and/or parent, stationed at either end of the hall, tape on the doors to ensure the noticeability that someone has opened the door, hourly patrol sessions. It's not hard. Yes, they're dealing with "adults" in drum corps, but the same thing could be done to ensure things like this can't happen in hotel rooms of all places.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

Having dealt with large high school programs, it's actually quite manageable. You basically explained it for yourself in your second sentence. One male and one female adult staff member and/or parent, stationed at either end of the hall, tape on the doors to ensure the noticeability that someone has opened the door, hourly patrol sessions. It's not hard. Yes, they're dealing with "adults" in drum corps, but the same thing could be done to ensure things like this can't happen in hotel rooms of all places.

Between have chaperones patrolling all night in all the gyms during the entire summer too. 

• Like 1

From the Twitter post, it sounds as if the two were a couple at one time.  

(he) also cheated multiple times and gaslighted/mainpulated me into believing that he treated me so poorly because my love was overwhelming

Sexual assault is obviously disgusting, but before passing judgment there needs to be a full investigation.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6