Brass Ensemble Amplification

1 minute ago, valjean said:

well back in the day it's because those were the limits of the activity, lol. 

for the record you can still have sultry restrained moments without mics. what you want is something very specific. that's fine, we're all entitled to our preferences, but the vast options afforded to designers with all this tech ironically stifles creativity. What is the saying, necessity is the mother of invention? 

i am having a hard time finding a way in which having the option to use microphones can stifle any creativity? for the student being mic'd encourages you to play with good tone without worrying about volume. for the corps directors it opens up more possibilities for selections and sounds. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ashontheinternet said:

i am having a hard time finding a way in which having the option to use microphones can stifle any creativity? 

*pre mics*
"we need our soloist to be heard"
"well we had better arrange intelligently and with good balance to make it so"

*mic era*
"TURN IT UP TO 11!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, valjean said:

*pre mics*

*mic era*
"TURN IT UP TO 11!"

now this is fair, lol. i think a careless corps may think this way, but if you look at corps like crown who value volumetric tone, they still can arrange and teach good balance while keeping the soloist on the forefront. one of my favorite things from crown last year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, valjean said:

*pre mics*

*mic era*
"TURN IT UP TO 11!"

You aren’t forced to mic though. Designers now have that option which wasn’t one prior to amplification. Creativity isn’t stifled by providing another option in your playbook even if most corps don’t mic anymore.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wilme861 said:

You aren’t forced to mic though. Designers now have that option which wasn’t one prior to amplification. Creativity isn’t stifled by providing another option in your playbook even if most corps don’t mic anymore.

of course you're not *forced* to but the option allows for carelessness. 

Just now, valjean said:

of course you're not *forced* to but the option allows for carelessness. 

That’s on the designer. They aren’t restricted to using the mic although most probably think they don’t have a choice.

I went to see Chicago in concert a couple winters ago and not only was every horn set up with a separate microphone,  but the program even touted the fact that every instrument had its own "Provider Series Mic Kit"....and Provider Series is one of their tour sponsors. 

The venue was 1/20 the size of Lucas Oil.  Also, at least in the top 15 corps, nobody is having to hide weak players anymore with the way auditions go.  That hasn't happened in years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilme861 said:

That’s on the designer. They aren’t restricted to using the mic although most probably think they don’t have a choice.

I agree. And if smart arranging isn't reflected (rewarded) on the score sheets, what incentive would there be to do things the right way? 

4 minutes ago, valjean said:

I agree. And if smart arranging isn't reflected (rewarded) on the score sheets, what incentive would there be to do things the right way? 

What’s the “right way”? There have been plenty of corps that use mics pretty well if not perfectly and blend the ensemble perfectly. Others don’t necessarily nail it or have a bad night. And I know the arrangements are definitely reflected in the music sheets. I’ve heard plenty of judges comment on the arrangement (positive and negative).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

What’s the “right way”? There have been plenty of corps that use mics pretty well if not perfectly and blend the ensemble perfectly. Others don’t necessarily nail it or have a bad night. And I know the arrangements are definitely reflected in the music sheets. I’ve heard plenty of judges comment on the arrangement (positive and negative).

🙄 not really my point