Brass Ensemble Amplification

1 minute ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Are people really complaining? I haven't seen it and it sounds almost as dumb of a thing to complain about as the uniform. It looks comfy as hell and probably feels great for this weather

Just like you said... it's almost as dumb as complaining about the uniform, but yes there are complaints about it. 

• Sad 1

this is an old discussion. there's a thread about it in the roundtable forum that started in 2011. 

balance is one of the most important elements of musicality for me, but dci hasn't cared about it one bit with anything A/E since it passed a couple decades ago.  if it's still on the rubrics then it's universally ignored when it comes to A/E even though it has a huge impact on a corps' sound.  

the discussion about micing sections/small ensembles/soloists is just an extension of it.   it will never go away, be curtailed in any way, or be taken into account on the rubrics dci corps come up with and judges use. be prepared for more of it, not less.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lance said:

this is an old discussion. there's a thread about it in the roundtable forum that started in 2011. 

balance is one of the most important elements of musicality for me, but dci hasn't cared about it one bit with anything A/E since it passed a couple decades ago.  if it's still on the rubrics then it's universally ignored when it comes to A/E even though it has a huge impact on a corps' sound.  

the discussion about micing sections/small ensembles/soloists is just an extension of it.   it will never go away, be curtailed in any way, or be taken into account on the rubrics dci corps come up with and judges use. be prepared for more of it, not less.

I understand, but I think with technology this has become more prevalent and hidden. 

30 minutes ago, DAvery said:

Or why not do the hard work and teach the players to play louder with a good sound. 

Why not both?

17 minutes ago, Lance said:

I can't possibly begin to explain to you how wrong this is. A/E balance is a CONSTANT on tapes.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DAvery said:

I understand, but I think with technology this has become more prevalent and hidden. 

I agree that's it's more prevalent, and like I said, expect that to increase.  It has since a/e passed.  You should have seen it on here when soloists first started getting mic'd.  Then pretty much every small ensemble.  And then somebody noticed that entire mello sections sound even better sustaining when they're strategically placed in front of mics, so that trend has grown and grown to where the biggest full ensemble music impact moments are wholly dependent on strategic mic placement. 

Hidden?  No.  They don't have to hide anything since it will never be taken into account with judging.  It's pretty blatant at this point lol.  

I don't think most people in the crowd care.  I hate it but I've gotten used to it, too.  Just part of what DCI has become.  Just gotta roll with it.  

7 minutes ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

I can't possibly begin to explain to you how wrong this is. A/E balance is a CONSTANT on tapes.

Interesting since "verrrrssssssshreechwombawombawombagoooooooooooooooooooooo" has taken me out of plenty of shows that scored the same or better than they did without it the night before.  

If it's a constant on the tapes, then the judges are incompetent when it comes to actually taking it into account with scores.  

46 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I've seen people complain about how quiet the Cadet's double tonging feature is. Well it's because they are going for good tone quality and timing amongst the ensemble. Playing a relaxed, comfortable level allows them to achieve that. 

Which should be awarded points.  

Teaching them to play it loud with good tone quality and timing amongst the ensemble without electronic amplification deserves more points. 

I love that soloists are mic'd now... Much better balance especially when the soloist is accompanied by the rest of the brass. But mic'ing individuals or lining the front sidelines with mics to amp the entire corps... I hate everything about it. And I say this knowing my favorite corps (BD) is doing it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1