FloMarching: Video Quality Question

Hi all.  Generally speaking, this has been FloMarching’s best year thus far with regard to video and audio quality and consistency.  That being said, there is still one defect that needs to be fixed/improved.

it seems like every 2 seconds of so, there is a pulse where the background gets fuzzy for a brief moment, then flickers back to being fine.  It is sort of like a compression artifact that pulses every 2-3 seconds.  It is really noticeable it you look at the backfield stands when the camera is still.  

This effect is present in every show, and on every device I’ve watched it on.  My Internet speeds are gigabyte on my wired devices and over 500 Mbps on my wireless devices, so I don’t think it is an Internet speed issue.

For general watching, it’s not too bothersome.  However, since DCI is no longer producing Blu-rays, screen captures of these FloMarching shows are the best we’ll have to watch back for years to come and I want the quality to be as good as possible.

I see the same effect on every Flo video that ends up on YouTube, so I’m sure it’s not just me.  Does anyone know what may be causing it and what we can suggest Flo do to correct it?

Edited by DrumCorpsNutt
  • Like 1

I'm no expert, but someone mentioned in a show thread this week if you're using a laptop/desktop, to set their resolution to 1080 instead of auto.  I've started using Roku & only had a glitch issue on one of the rebroadcast.  Their app on Roku seems to work smoother than my laptop.   They also mentioned 'reboot'.       

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

1 hour ago, DrumCorpsNutt said:

Hi all.  Generally speaking, this has been FloMarching’s best year thus far with regard to video and audio quality and consistency.  That being said, there is still one defect that needs to be fixed/improved.

it seems like every 2 seconds of so, there is a pulse where the background gets fuzzy for a brief moment, then flickers back to being fine.  It is sort of like a compression artifact that pulses every 2-3 seconds.  It is really noticeable it you look at the backfield stands when the camera is still.  

This effect is present in every show, and on every device I’ve watched it on.  My Internet speeds are gigabyte on my wired devices and over 500 Mbps on my wireless devices, so I don’t think it is an Internet speed issue.

For general watching, it’s not too bothersome.  However, since DCI is no longer producing Blu-rays, screen captures of these FloMarching shows are the best we’ll have to watch back for years to come and I want the quality to be as good as possible.

I see the same effect on every Flo video that ends up on YouTube, so I’m sure it’s not just me.  Does anyone know what may be causing it and what we can suggest Flo do to correct it?

I have the same issue. I exclusively watch the high cam feed every show. I saw once in a thread that it was not an issue for the multi cam feed, but I haven’t tried it to verify. 

58 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I'm no expert, but someone mentioned in a show thread this week if you're using a laptop/desktop, to set their resolution to 1080 instead of auto.  I've started using Roku & only had a glitch issue on one of the rebroadcast.  Their app on Roku seems to work smoother than my laptop.   They also mentioned 'reboot'.       

Selecting 1080p instead of auto makes no difference...the same "pulsing" occurs either way.  It isn't an issue or glitch with the app used, I believe it is a transmission/compression issue. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, brassboy said:

I have the same issue. I exclusively watch the high cam feed every show. I saw once in a thread that it was not an issue for the multi cam feed, but I haven’t tried it to verify. 

The same thing happens with the multi-cam, it's just not as noticeable during scenes when the camera is moving around or zoomed on a smaller section of field.  If you pay attention a plain green grass portion of the screen, you can still see the pulsing.  When they show the high cam view during the multi-cam broadcast....the same pulsing occurs as well.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DrumCorpsNutt said:

Selecting 1080p instead of auto makes no difference...the same "pulsing" occurs either way.  It isn't an issue or glitch with the app used, I believe it is a transmission/compression issue. 

It's a video compression artifact. In order to stream 1080p60, you need a LOT of compression. I'm sure if you could get your hands on the original file (assuming it's archived in ProRes or something similar), it would look fine. It would be nice if, after the season, there would be "high quality" option to download rather than stream.

7 minutes ago, On the 50 said:

It's a video compression artifact. In order to stream 1080p60, you need a LOT of compression. I'm sure if you could get your hands on the original file (assuming it's archived in ProRes or something similar), it would look fine. It would be nice if, after the season, there would be "high quality" option to download rather than stream.

Yes, it makes sense that it is compression.  I guess my question then is...what causes it to pules every 2 or so seconds, rather than every frame being equally compressed?  It can be very distracting.

3 minutes ago, DrumCorpsNutt said:

Yes, it makes sense that it is compression.  I guess my question then is...what causes it to pules every 2 or so seconds, rather than every frame being equally compressed?  It can be very distracting.

Well, it's quite complicated, but has to do with how compression is done. Instead of encoding all of the information in each frame (uncompressed), there is a reference frame every so often, and subsequent frames are compared to that reference. In high efficiency compression codecs, I believe over 95% of the original uncompressed information is thrown away. That doesn't happen without a cost.

Here's a more detailed explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding

• Like 1

i get the same about half the time no matter if i'm using app, my pc, my laptop, and whether or not if it's wired or wifi.  I have 200 down and 100 up and stream a ton in 4K from a bunch of providers flawlessly, so that's not the issue either. 

Edited by Lance