DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

I audibly gasped when Cavaliers played the Niagara Falls riff at the end, then was immediately shaking my fist at the screen when it just ended there

• Like 3

BD not blowing anyone out of the water. That lead looks comfortable, but only because they edged someone by a hair in 6 of the 11 judges. 2 of those slip and it’s going to be TIGHT.

Finals panel looks a bit friendly for Crown, right? I still take BD, Bloo, and the Crown, but it’s going to be tighter than I’d thought.

• Like 1

1.     Blue Devils (handedly) 97.688  I guessed they would win relatively big.  I found myself head nodding on many of their tunes, what a groove they have.  They sounded great on the big speakers tonight. 

2.     Bluecoats 96.688 * (3rdI was not an early fan of that off-beat show but I am now as this show has really grown on me.  I had them in 2nd tonight.

3.     Boston Crusaders 96.3 * (4th) I thought I heard some sections where the horns and drums did not sync well which I thought put them in 4th.  The snares sounded crisp!

4.     Carolina Crown 96.975 * (2ndLush horn line and I think I am beginning to follow what the prancing guys are doing.  BTW, I thought King Arthur got stabbed, but he seemed to be OK by the Crown set.  Can somebody tell me the story?

5.     Cadets 93.688  I love the opening hit and ballad.  Their opening circle drill had two lines which merged while circling finally had some coherence so you could see what they were trying to do.  That had to help them with GE.  Drums and horns are my favorite of 5-6-7 with the ballad being my favorite.

6.     Mandarins 93.363  Fantastic show, I thought they might have won this block for the night.

7.     Phantom Regiment 92.675  Splitting hairs of course but I thought what they lacked were big moments.  Lots of great chords, almost a little too much and I never thought I'd say that about a drum corps show.

8.     Cavaliers 91.788  This is another show that has really grown on me.  The secret that everybody knows is that Cavies percussion is king of the hill.  I don't know if anybody predicted that coming into the season.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

To have Cadets 5th? I'm actually surprised Mandarins were so close. To me, Cadets were clearly the 5th best corps tonight, but I'm not a judge. Love Cadets, Mandarins and Regiment. All three have great shows.

Agreed. Also LMAO your pfp 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I audibly gasped when Cavaliers played the Niagara Falls riff at the end, then was immediately shaking my fist at the screen when it just ended there

I just laughed with joy...we played that show my freshman year of high school. So awesome.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

1.     Blue Devils (handedly) 97.688  I guessed they would win relatively big.  I found myself head nodding on many of their tunes, what a groove they have.  They sounded great on the big speakers tonight. 

2.     Bluecoats 96.688 * (3rdI was not an early fan of that off-beat show but I am now as this show has really grown on me.  I had them in 2nd tonight.

3.     Boston Crusaders 96.3 * (4th) I thought I heard some sections where the horns and drums did not sync well which I thought put them in 4th.  The snares sounded crisp!

4.     Carolina Crown 96.975 * (2ndLush horn line and I think I am beginning to follow what the prancing guys are doing.  BTW, I thought King Arthur got stabbed, but he seemed to be OK by the Crown set.  Can somebody tell me the story?

5.     Cadets 93.688  I love the opening hit and ballad.  Their opening circle drill had two lines which merged while circling finally had some coherence so you could see what they were trying to do.  That had to help them with GE.  Drums and horns are my favorite of 5-7-7 with the ballad being my favorite.

6.     Mandarins 93.363  Fantastic show, I thought they might have won the night.

7.     Phantom Regiment 92.675  Splitting hair of course but I thought what they lacked was big moments.  Lots of great chords, almost a little too much and I never thought I'd say that about a drum corps show.

8.     Cavaliers 91.788  This is another show that has really grown on me.  The secret that everybody knows is the percussion is king of the hill.  I don't know if anybody predicted that coming into the season.

For crown: have you not watched Shrek 3??? He should’ve gone for the head🙃🙃

19 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

There goes Blue Stars dropping another spot with troopers only .2 behind.  What going on with them?

Technically the Troopers beat the Blue Stars in their last head to head in Allentown, so the Blue Stars beating Troopers in prelims wasn’t a drop. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Carolina Crown 96.975 * (2ndLush horn line and I think I am beginning to follow what the prancing guys are doing.  BTW, I thought King Arthur got stabbed, but he seemed to be OK by the Crown set.  Can somebody tell me the story?

oh it’s just a flesh wound

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Waxman said:
15 minutes ago, MarkHornGA said:

DCI won't load. What was the top three in percussion?

Cavaliers, Boston, Blue Devils

I thought Bostons snares were really together tonight.  I could really hear their great sound from the home theater speakers.

• Like 2