DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

6 hours ago, skevinp said:

The Cut Throats?

Ok. This is my nomination for Best Comment Ever. BAHAHAHA. I'm GAGGING!!!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Every year y’all get suckered into believing BD can be beat. It’s so fun to observe. I look for BD’s spread over 2-4 to actually get bigger. 

Exactly. I finally learned my lesson in 2017. 

All you have to do is look at last night's recap to see there is absolutely no path to a BD loss. There just isn't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

Looking at the recap I just can't agree with this. BD was 1st and 2nd in almost all subcaptions (with only three 3rd place finishes (two in achievement and one in content). That means across the board the judges are seeing more content in all facets of BD's show other than percussion (3rd) and that greater content being executed at a greater level.

Crown had several 3rd, 4th and 5th (percussion only) finishes across the subcaptions.

Bluecoats had several 3rd, 4th and 6th (percusson only) finishes across the subcaptions.

Boston had several 3rds and a crap ton of 4ths across the captions.

I've been saying all season that BD's consistency across all captions is going to bring them the title and Bluecoats, Boston and Crown are going to prevent Bluecoats, Boston and Crown from catching BD, because they are all knocking each other down in various captions. 

At this point, I believe Crown to have the best chance, but I just don't see it happening because of BD's consistency. 0.7 is a HUGE gap today. Vanguard was a heck of a lot closer than that to BD for almost the entire season in 2017 and never managed to beat them once.

That's fine, I can appreciate how you come to that conclusion, but I disagree. A lot of the disagreement between judges is in the GE caption. Bluecoats had each of the 4 judges put them at 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively. Crown had 1, 2, 3, 3. If the finals panel has more agreement and all 4 put Crown or Bloo, or BAC on top, then the entire game shifts. 

Also in music, BD only won 1 of the 4 music captions but still won music because of the disagreement as to who was in first, and because of the spread by that one judge. Crown was 1st in 2 of those captions, but was dumped by the other MA judge. If the Saturday music judges come to a consensus, then again the entire game shifts. 

20 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I like the way they frame the art at the end with four tarps. And I never like marching on tarps. But the run to the front and move around as you play fff is really old now.

Is the Crown set old? Phantom kick out? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I'd agree...looking at the recaps, the judges are definitely not in full agreement about BD. 

• 2 of the 4 GE judges had them in 2nd. 
  • 1 of the 2 music analysis judges had them in 3rd.

Dude, you can't use the smallest amount of a recap to claim there is a path to BD losing without putting in recap information about Boston, Bluecoats and Crown that clearly shows there is no path to any of them winning.

Edited by Vuitton

Just now, MikeRapp said:

Is this now what BD does in every single show? 

That’s what you said, yes? 

3 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I know, I love how even the discussion of weaknesses in the sub captions is considered heresy. 

But there isn't weaknesses. They finished 1st and 2nd in almost all subcaptions, with three 3rds. That isn't weakness. Placing in the top 3 in all captions is absolute strength and dominance. 

• Thanks 1