DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

Just now, MarimbaManiac said:

You have a very interesting definition of the word "fact." I'd be happy to send you a dictionary if you think that will help.

And tomorrow I can show you a dose of reality when the recap comes out. 

Just now, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Like I said they could definitely win, but it's going to depend on the specific panel. You clearly haven't looked at last nights recap and ran the numbers, so why would you look at tomorrow's?

It seems to be hurting your feelings that people are being realistic about what the numbers say. You having a hard day? It's really not that deep kiddo.

11 hours ago, 27Socal said:

That's true.  That's what drum corps is really supposed to be about.  I wouldn't be where I am today without drum corps.

There's SO much negativity posted about Drum Corps on this website, and while we know those things can and do happen there's another side to the story that's not being told enough.  After Finals, I'd like to start a thread for us to share how the activity has benefited us and what we learned and carried over into life after aging out.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Yes. It's like some people haven't been paying attention the last 16 years.

2 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Like I said they could definitely win, but it's going to depend on the specific panel. You clearly haven't looked at last nights recap and ran the numbers, so why would you look at tomorrow's?

It seems to be hurting your feelings that people are being realistic about what the numbers say. You having a hard day? It's really not that deep kiddo.

Well seeing as I am a judge and have been trained by judges who are on the finals panel tomorrow night and I understand the philosophy behind the judging system, yeah I can say BD is going to win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

You're not hurting anyone's feelings. What you're doing is making us all believe you really don't understand how this activity is judged, what separates a championship show from a 2nd place show, and what it takes to beat BD.

I would love nothing more than BD NOT to win, but after 2017 and being outraged yet again that they won, I decided to put all my bias's behind me, actually learn, and start becoming a fan of the activity (from a competitive standpoint). I sought out people who knew more than I and I learned a lot, and it really has given me great insight into why BD always wins.

Edited by Vuitton

Just now, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Well seeing as I am a judge and have been trained by judges who are on the finals panel tomorrow night and I understand the philosophy behind the judging system, yeah I can say BD is going to win.

Congratulations, as a former judge, designer, instructor, and manager of various programs with more than one world championship under my belt from various activities, I can say that the door is open. 

Sorry if that hurts your feelings. 

1 minute ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Congratulations, as a former judge, designer, instructor, and manager of various programs with more than one world championship under my belt from various activities, I can say that the door is open. 

In todays drum corps, their spread over Crown last night is too big to overcome on finals night. With judges being able to use the lovely .05, it takes a lot to make up that spread and it just won’t happen. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I do enjoy your contributions here, but let's not go there. TheOneWhoKnows is a fanastic contributor here and he has been nothing but kind in telling you why you are wrong.

3 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

You're not hurting anyone's feelings. What you're doing is making us all believe you really don't understand how this activity is judged, what separates a championship show from a 2nd place show, and what it takes to beat BD.

I would love nothing more than BD NOT to win, but after 2017 and being outraged yet again that they won, I decided to put all my bias's behind me, actually learn, and start becoming a fan of the activity (from a competitive standpoint).

I mean to be fair I don't really care what you (or others) think, other than to point out when people are using absolutist language erroneously. The facts are what they are. Swap out 3 or 4 judges on last nights panel and it would have swung a different way. That's just the numbers. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac