DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

13 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

As a BD honk, I agree with you that the door is open, especially based on the Finals panel. But I can also tell you that BD’s staff isn’t talking about other corps at all. BD competes against themselves, not other corps. 

When you win every night, that’s the only way to think about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Great, so you agree there is ambiguity at least somewhere. 

Me not knowing anything about percussion and ambiguity are too different things.

We can talk in "what if's" until we are blue in the face, but there is no point because those "what if's" are not plausible.

Enjoy the show.

Just now, Vuitton said:

Me not knowing anything about percussion and ambiguity are too different things.

We can talk in "what if's" until we are blue in the face, but there is no point because those "what if's" are not plausible.

Enjoy the show.

Really, because one music judge disagreed with the others last night, and changed who won the music caption. 

All 4 GE judges disagreed last night. 

Colorguard judges have disagreed all season. 

Percussion judges have disagreed all season. 

All of those things are possible.

You notice I'm not talking about visual...because BD is going to win visual hands down. There is no other option, they will win visual (but maybe not guard). 

GE, Music, Percussion, Guard shifts are all possible AND plausible. That's the difference. 

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

And many still argue that Phantom should not have won the gold medal, that it violated the understood rules of DCI scoring as I described above.

I could argue that Regiment should not have won the gold medal, but I could also argue that Devils rightfully didn't win the gold medal.

I could argue that we rightfully won in '88 and I could also argue that Vanguard should have rightfully won in '88.

In close seasons like '88 and '08 (and many others) the winner wins because the numbers worked out in their favor and that is it. I have never kidded myself about that. We won a numbers game, not a show. Do I think we deserved to win in '88? Absolutely. Had Vanguard won would I think they deserved it? Absolutely. If BD won in '08 I wouldn't be arguing the shouldn't have either.

This year is not one of those close years IMO. This year there is a clear winner.

3 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Really.

Yes, really. 🙂

14 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

Blue Devils don't need a special show to win. Everyone else needs a show like '08 Regiment, '11 Cadets, '13 Crown, '16 Bluecoats and '18 Vanguard to win, and IMO no one has a show like that this year.

Am I the only one who sees an issue with that statement? One corps only needs status quo to win, while anyone else needs an exponentially special year? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Am I the only one who sees an issue with that statement? One corps only needs status quo to win, while anyone else needs an exponentially special year? 

Thanks Fart 🙂

I didn't mean status quo. BD consistently puts out well design and great shows. It takes a herculean show and effort to beat them. That is what I meant. 

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 1

Just now, Vuitton said:

Thanks Fart 🙂

I didn't mean status quo. BD consistently puts out well design and great shows. That is what I meant. 

I dont know. When I hear that, I just think nobody else consistently puts out well designed and great shows. I think Bluecoats and BAC put out magnificent shows. Crown also puts out great shows, but I can give you a point on the lack of consistently. 

• Like 1

Just now, ContraFart said:

I dont know. When I hear that, I just think nobody else consistently puts out well designed and great shows. I think Bluecoats and BAC put out magnificent shows. Crown also puts out great shows, but I can give you a point on the lack of consistently. 

Yes, you are correct and this is a fair statement.

I think a lot of corps put out magificant shows. BD is never one of my favorite shows. I like Crown, Bluecoats, Boston, Cadets, Regiment, Mandarins, Colts and Blue Stars best this year.

I'm not saying none of these corps put out great shows. They do. I am saying it is extremely difficult to beat BD because not only they are consistant and really don't have any weaknesses, but their staff designs shows that the judges reward more than any other corps does. If this weren't true they wouldn't have been in the top 2 for the past 16 years.

• Like 1