DCI Judging - YT Video by Funliner Productions

9 hours ago, ContraFart said:

That's not even my point. 

A triple toe loop is a triple toe loop, every judge is going to know the relative difficulty. They can have different tolerances in height, arm position, skate position, etc.

How do you define differences in difficulty in drum corps when one corps does kaleidoscopic drill at 200 bpm and another corps does not even write drill?

but...going into that toe loop...what preceded it? how did they launch? from what i read when you last brought up this strawman there's no universally agreed upon definition of the exact physical movements to be done to go up in the air. how about how they landed? same thing. no universally defined terminology for what the landing should look like.

it's the same with drum corps. i know you'll die on this vine, but i beg you...go to a judging clinic. i think it would remove a lot of angst from your life as well as give you insight you refuse to listen to when it's out on here

• Like 1

What you think he gives 20s at prelims?

not that i found when did the research a few years ago

What's your point? 

What's your point? 

it proves my previous post about the triple axel to a T

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

but...going into that toe loop...what preceded it? how did they launch? from what i read when you last brought up this strawman there's no universally agreed upon definition of the exact physical movements to be done to go up in the air. how about how they landed? same thing. no universally defined terminology for what the landing should look like.

it's the same with drum corps. i know you'll die on this vine, but i beg you...go to a judging clinic. i think it would remove a lot of angst from your life as well as give you insight you refuse to listen to when it's out on here

I live in FL. You need to be a music educator to be a judge through FBA or FCCC which I am not. 

Then why is every critique of a judge based in the idea that he can't be everywhere at once or that judge may have not heard the same thing as you? The fallibility of a judge seems to be their biggest defense from criticism.

I never said that there are 0 objective comparisons, but when you get to a level where you are splitting hairs, those objective comparisons become less and less and you can only rely on subjective comparisons.

And your beloved figure skating judges don’t split hairs?

8 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I live in FL. You need to be a music educator to be a judge through FBA or FCCC which I am not. 

Sorry to hear that. I’m sure you could reach out to someone to possibly get an explanation or even sit in and learn. My first judges clinic I attended out of curiosity with no intention of judging. But I was fascinated by it all and dove in

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

And your beloved figure skating judges don’t split hairs?

When figure skating judges split hairs, they are all looking at the same general thing. A DCI field judge could be sampling side B and miss a huge tear on side A

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

When figure skating judges split hairs, they are all looking at the same general thing. A DCI field judge could be sampling side B and miss a huge tear on side A

Are they though? Ones not looking at upper body while another’s focusing on lower body?

you continue to create arguments for the sake of arguments with people trying to help you in good faith and every time your argument is rebutted or countered you shift to a new argument. It’s clear nothing said will ever satisfy you

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

there is some truth to it....the last time this came up i went digging through old recaps and show the number of times going back a few years now BD got a 20 on whatever sheet he was on at finals and i believe a semis too

What logical sense is there for the judge to give “automatic” 20s at finals but not even a first place ordinal at prelims? 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

What logical sense is there for the judge to give “automatic” 20s at finals but not even a first place ordinal at prelims? 

Maybe he knows he is a meme now, who knows? Who cares?