DCI Judging - YT Video by Funliner Productions

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

That's not even my point. 

A triple toe loop is a triple toe loop, every judge is going to know the relative difficulty. They can have different tolerances in height, arm position, skate position, etc.

How do you define differences in difficulty in drum corps when one corps does kaleidoscopic drill at 200 bpm and another corps does not even write drill?

???? Really? Okay you tell me what’s harder: throw a 6 on a rifle stationary in second or throw a 6 on a rifle with a triple turn underneath and catch it behind your back.

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You’re hilarious 😴

I like to think I could get a few chuckles 

3 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

???? Really? Okay you tell me what’s harder: throw a 6 on a rifle stationary in second or throw a 6 on a rifle with a triple turn underneath and catch it behind your back.

What's your point? 

Just now, ContraFart said:

What's your point? 

You said you can’t determine difficulty in DCI. That’s my point. We continually answer your questions and comebacks and you continue to move the goal post. Thread after thread. You don’t like the judging system, we get it. But that doesn’t make it useless. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, TheOneWhoKnows said:

You said you can’t determine difficulty in DCI. That’s my point. We continually answer your questions and comebacks and you continue to move the goal post. Thread after thread. You don’t like the judging system, we get it. But that doesn’t make it useless. 

I am trying to challenge the meta philosophy of judging art. You say you keep answering my questions but you don't. You just fall back on excuses. 

There is no way you can accurately compare the relative difficulty between the spatial demands of the Bluecoats show and the technical brass demand of Crowns show. There is nothing objective to compare. 

Yes I am challenging the blind faith in the judging system. I will continue to do so to at least get people to think about why they think the way they do. I do it knowing full well that there is no such thing as a perfect system. Engage with me or don't, but don't treat me like I am approaching this in bad faith.

• Haha 1

Just now, ContraFart said:

I am trying to challenge the meta philosophy of judging art. You say you keep answering my questions but you don't. You just fall back on excuses. 

There is no way you can accurately compare the relative difficulty between the spatial demands of the Bluecoats show and the technical brass demand of Crowns show. There is nothing objective to compare. 

Yes I am challenging the blind faith in the judging system. I will continue to do so to at least get people to think about why they think the way they do. I do it knowing full well that there is no such thing as a perfect system. Engage with me or don't, but don't treat me like I am approaching this in bad faith.

You are approaching it in bad faith when you claim answers and explanations are just “excuses”. You don’t want to be proven wrong. Or even be open to the idea that there are a lot of objective things to compare. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, TheOneWhoKnows said:

You are approaching it in bad faith when you claim answers and explanations are just “excuses”. You don’t want to be proven wrong. Or even be open to the idea that there are a lot of objective things to compare. 

Then why is every critique of a judge based in the idea that he can't be everywhere at once or that judge may have not heard the same thing as you? The fallibility of a judge seems to be their biggest defense from criticism.

I never said that there are 0 objective comparisons, but when you get to a level where you are splitting hairs, those objective comparisons become less and less and you can only rely on subjective comparisons.

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

Then why is every critique of a judge based in the idea that he can't be everywhere at once or that judge may have not heard the same thing as you? The fallibility of a judge seems to be their biggest defense from criticism.

I never said that there are 0 objective comparisons, but when you get to a level where you are splitting hairs, those objective comparisons become less and less and you can only rely on subjective comparisons.

And you bring up figure skating so often. You mean to tell me it’s “impossible” for a judge to miss something in figure skating? No it’s not. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

And you bring up figure skating so often. You mean to tell me it’s “impossible” for a judge to miss something in figure skating? No it’s not. 

I bring up figure skating because it's easier to find objective comparisons. A triple toe loop is a triple toe loop, even with minor variations it's still a relative marker that can be directly compared. Also a judge is not going to miss a jump because he is looking at the opposite side of the rink. No human is perfect, I know that but missing someone fall on side A because you were looking at side B is a hole in the concept.

Drum corps does contain any required technical elements. I am not saying that's a bad thing, I am saying that no 2 corps do the same thing so you can never have a specific apples to apples comparison. 

Edited by ContraFart

9 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Keep moving the goalposts, love. 

there is some truth to it....the last time this came up i went digging through old recaps and show the number of times going back a few years now BD got a 20 on whatever sheet he was on at finals and i believe a semis too