DCI Judging - YT Video by Funliner Productions

11 minutes ago, spacewill said:

GE is by and far the one where we see the biggest swings and crazy shifts so why do we keep giving it the most weight?

Because an aspect of DCI that differentiates itself from other activities is the excitement and emotion it creates.

By weighting GE more heavily than other captions, DCI is encouraging the fielding of shows which create maximum appeal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 90svet said:

Because an aspect of DCI that differentiates itself from other activities is the excitement and emotion it creates.

By weighting GE more heavily than other captions, DCI is encouraging the fielding of shows which create maximum appeal.

I can see that.  But at the same time, we've seen GE can swing an entire competition because "one Judge" didn't get it.  So with it being so subjective, I just have a hard time it out weighing Music and Visuals.  But again, there is no perfect scoring system and when humans are involved there will always be controversy.  The only way to get rid of it is make everyone play the same music and march the same show and none of us, well none of us with good taste ( 🙂 ) want that!!!!

• Like 1

Ok finals week….so who wins? Well…..

4 effect judges. Add the total numbers up, divide by 2 and there’s your effect number.
Then visual proficiency, visual analysis and color guard….and their total numbers up and divide by 2. There’s you visual number.
Then brass, 2 music analysis judges and percussion. Add the 2 MA scores together and divide by 2, then add brass and percussion to that number and divide by 2. There’s your music number.
So add the effect number, the visual number and the music number and there’s your subtotal.
Subtract any penalties( usually due to electronic issues or warming up in no no zones. Oh and baby powder)
The final number, aka total after all of the above math, with the highest score wins. Congratulations to the tabulator you’ll call the show!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

As a BD fan regarding 2008, drums didn't step up to up plate, they picked the wrong night to lay an egg by BD standards. Phantom won fair and square no excuses. 

2015, it's my understanding Crown had a bad run finals night, coupled with BD laying down one of their best runs of the season. 

Whether for or against BD, I personally have no issues with the final results. 

spot on. 

31 minutes ago, 90svet said:

yes....and no.

effect is not just about appeal. it's about who puts together the best total package based on the criteria on the sheets. as drum corps has morphed into a true total show, effect is about how they communicate yes, but not just about burning babies being thrown.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

That doesn't make sense to me. You can go out and play a few major chords with perfect balance and sonority and get the maximum achievement from minimum content.

I thought the entire reason they went to a content/achievement system was to discourage designing content under the level of the corps so you can't go out with a simple show and win. 

I don't disagree with you. But, if you are designing at a lower level than your competitors, the scores will reflect that. They have to, based on the sheets, balance out. While the achievement score can outrank the content score, they will reflect one another. Like I wrote, if your content is being outscored by your achievement, it is time to go back to the drawing board. If it is not too late. 

Looking at you, Bluecoats and Crown. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ContraFart said:

That doesn't make sense to me. You can go out and play a few major chords with perfect balance and sonority and get the maximum achievement from minimum content.

I thought the entire reason they went to a content/achievement system was to discourage designing content under the level of the corps so you can't go out with a simple show and win. 

Again this is where your content holds back achievement because clearly your performers are capable of more. 

• Like 1

Then there is the Chumley rule…

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yes....and no.

effect is not just about appeal. it's about who puts together the best total package based on the criteria on the sheets. as drum corps has morphed into a true total show, effect is about how they communicate yes, but not just about burning babies being thrown.

Said another way....it's about how enjoyable a show is to watch.  Fans would rather watch a cohesive enjoyable show, than a disjointed mess.

So....yes....it most certainly is about much more than high level excitement.  I oversimplified it.  More broadly, it's about how enjoyable a show is to watch.

Crown's brass line could spend 12 minutes showcasing their talents, or BAC guard could do back-to-back tosses, but without an interesting show, drum corps would be less appealing.

in summary, reducing GE impact would ultimately reduce appeal of the activity.

8 hours ago, jsd said:

I don't disagree with you. But, if you are designing at a lower level than your competitors, the scores will reflect that. They have to, based on the sheets, balance out. While the achievement score can outrank the content score, they will reflect one another. Like I wrote, if your content is being outscored by your achievement, it is time to go back to the drawing board. If it is not too late. 

Looking at you, Bluecoats and Crown. 

You are right, if a corps has a 2.0 content and 10.0 achievement, that is not a competitive score. To me that doesn't change the fact that you can max out a really easy show.