The Staff Merry-go-round

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I see that Crown has been holding spring training at Gardner Webb in 2007. Phantom Regiment started holding spring training at Rockford College in 2003 and did so for a number of years thereafter.

Ahem...

"Crown adopted Phantom Regiment's spring training regime (i.e., move in to a small remote college, live in the dorms).  I see posts from Crown fans bragging about all this but it's just an exact copy of what Regiment did for several years at Rockford College.  I mean it makes sense because it works well but it's just exactly the same setup as that team had at Regiment."

Do I believe this? Of course not. It's as silly as the post I'm quoting.

Only makes sense if you read the original posts from the Boston fans (which actually did make it sound like it was something they invented).  Anyway you are correct (and kind of making the point I was making if in a more round about way.  Very silly indeed.

9 hours ago, karuna said:

Not sure why you posted all that… pretty much everyone is over the Potter team leaving.   My one and only comment here was that Boston fans just can’t stop bringing up Crown.  The rest of it is old news.   No one cares.  

then why do poaching comments continue to come from one side?

3 hours ago, karuna said:

Boston adopted Crown's spring training regime (ie move in to a small remote college, live in the dorms, etc...  I see posts from Boston fans bragging about all this but it's just an exact copy of what Crown has done for many, many years at Gardner Webb.  I mean it makes sense because it works well but it's just exactly the same setup as that team had at Crown  (4) It's funny as hell .  How's that for a start?

Boston Crusaders have been doing move in preseason training at ( your words ) " small remote colleges, living in dorms, etc  " for more than 20 years.  Before Vermont , some were  Roger Williams College in Rhode Island,  Cushing Academy, Ashburnham, Ma., ( couple of hours west of Boston in Central Ma.),  New Hampton Prep, New Hampton, N.H. among others.

Here is verification of any mistaken ( and rather silly ) belief that Boston Mgt is following what Crown Mgt does. Boston Crusaders trained for 3 years, 2006, 2007, 2008 at New Hampton Prep, New Hampton, N.H. Boston Crusaders do not " brag about this " as near as I can tell anyway,  as they have done pre season move ins like this for decades now.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/community/announcments/free-drum-and-bugle-corps-performance-at-new-hampton-school-at-wednesday-evening/article_5232f790-0c09-59d4-8ce5-09c2801a1ca8.html

Edited by Boss Anova

7 hours ago, Liahona said:

I know you were not talking to me specifically. I have been accused of having the mob mentality from Boston on many occasions in the past from Crown fans, so I will chime in here.  Some (not all) Crown thread posters are toxic towards others who come into their little thread and read posts. Their negative angst is very apparent and quite vocal. So as far as some of the Crown fanbase is concerned, they are irrelevant IMO. I will continue to enjoy Crown from a competitive standpoint, but definitely not some of their fans.

North End mob or Winter Hill?

7 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

If everyone is over the Potter team leaving, why does Crown-North keep popping up in the Crown threads?

The South isn't over losing the war.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Literally no Crown fan has used that word in more than year.  It's mostly Boston folks who use it.    Man do facts SUCK!  

The Staff Merry-go-round
Jeff Ream replied to DCI-86's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

28 minutes ago  1,004 replies
kdaddy
 The Staff Merry-go-round
kdaddy replied to DCI-86's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

...There was no talk of poaching, as far as I can remember. Even as SCV passed Regiment competitively, I don't remember any ill will. Just one anecdote, but it has parallels Crown/BAC in some ways (e.g., Regiment was pretty consistently top six at that point and only 2-3 years removed from a title, wh...
 11 hours ago  1,004 replies 
Jeff Ream
 The Staff Merry-go-round

...and " poaching" is such a #### word to use...staff have left to go other places since the bgeinning of time. But i'll ask again....if things were so great where someone was....why would they leave? trust me, my employer sucks some days to the point of wanting to dust off the resume. but, despite off...
 13 hours ago  1,004 replies 
Jeff Ream
 The Staff Merry-go-round

...since the " poaching" in 2017, both sides are fixated on each other. after all....do they go to each others home shows? it's kinda stupid. remember for designers and staff....it's a payday. and if you're offered a better payday someplace other than where you are, would you turn it down?...
 Sunday at 11:30 PM  1,004 replies 
Thanks
Weaklefthand4ever
 Year 3 Update: Introducing Performing Arts Access, Safety and Inclusion Network, Inc.
Weaklefthand4ever replied to DCP NewsFeed's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

...access to it would typically also be restricted to avoid content poaching. That's how I would, and still do it in corporate setting.
 September 8  3 replies 
Thanks
fighterkit
 The Staff Merry-go-round
fighterkit replied to DCI-86's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

... Poaching/stealing was a very common word used when the staff came over. It’s become a sore spot for a lot of us because it undermines the organization and the members.
 September 6  1,004 replies 
TOC
 The Staff Merry-go-round
TOC replied to DCI-86's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

...submitted his post about using the word " poaching." I'm guessing someone else was using it, maybe about what happened with the Crusaders in 16. They may have kept poking Waldo with the word, so Boss A. just poked them back.
Boss Anova
 The Staff Merry-go-round
Boss Anova replied to DCI-86's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

My sarcasm and calling such a term as " poaching " a " silly term " above, seems to have missed the mark as intended. I chuckled at the term, but it does appear to make a handful of DCP'ers really angry, so henceforth, I promise never to use this pejorative and angry term on here again. Promise. No...
HockeyDad
 The Staff Merry-go-round
HockeyDad replied to DCI-86's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

...One persons poaching is another’s leaving voluntarily because it’s a good career move. In the very same way, one person’s toxic is another’s critique of poor performance.
Haha
Boss Anova
 The Staff Merry-go-round

...that would replenish any " juice " the merri go round " poaching " thread might need at the moment, Joe😊.
 September 5  1,004 replies
Boss Anova
 The Staff Merry-go-round

...Sacktig is probably a better example of immediate season to season " poaching ", which is what I think you are looking for here😊.
Haha
Jeff Ream
 The Staff Merry-go-round

It’s not poaching if the staff decided where they were wasn’t in their best interests and I think all can look at cadets 16 to see why people left
Boss Anova
 The Staff Merry-go-round

...His role at Star in that " poaching " is secondary, albeit I agree in retrospect that he served in Mgt there when he first came on at the end of 1984.. Kerchner was there when Mason arrived. Mason, Prime later took over brass writing there. Zingali was " poached " originally by the Cadets from 27...
musicteacher
 The Staff Merry-go-round
musicteacher replied to DCI-86's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

...I don't know if you could call them landing in Star a poaching. I believe they left of their own accord from Cadets. Brubaker wrote for Star early on.
Boss Anova
 The Staff Merry-go-round

...But some recent alums/ fans seemingly prefer to use the pejorative " poaching " when staffs leave and decide to go to another Corps. Its kind of silly, imo, but maybe we can stick with this silly word this off season if some are so inclined.😊
Jurassic Lancer
 The Staff Merry-go-round
Jurassic Lancer replied to DCI-86's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

...I would say it is only considered poaching if the migrating staff is from Crown. No one even remembers the recruitment from Cadets. Why isn’t Boston called Cadets of New England?
Thanks
Haha
Boss Anova
 The Staff Merry-go-round

The best at the practice of “ poaching “( dislike that word , but some New Kids on the Block like to use this pejorative these days I guess , so why not ) was the Star of Indiana . The Star of Indiana set the standard for making attractive contract and freedom of creativity outreach to who they wa...
craiga
 The Staff Merry-go-round
craiga replied to DCI-86's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

...you must realize that it is only considered " poaching" of the staff in question go to BAC. In fact, some people here actually still refer to Boston as "Crown North", some 8 years after that staff move. I still haven't recovered from BD " poaching" Jay Murphy from us in 1981.
Haha
Boss Anova
 The Staff Merry-go-round

...5th this year is the Official " Poaching " Announcement Day ( OPAD ). Let the " poaching " announcements begin ! 🐓 😀
Haha
IllianaLancerContra
 The Staff Merry-go-round
IllianaLancerContra replied to DCI-86's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

Hire them full-time like they were at SCV- keeps another Corps from poaching them.
 August 13  1,004 replies 
Vidal28Rdg
 DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023
Vidal28Rdg replied to DrumManTx's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

...I have no doubt there’s a lot of caption poaching amongst the corps on the score sheets tonight👀
 August 10  1,501 replies
Jurassic Lancer
 Carolina Crown 2023
Jurassic Lancer replied to MadisonBandMan1's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

...and I am sick to death of hearing the poaching mantra from Crown enthusiasts. If anyone would want BAC to fail relative to their corps, you would think it would be me. But no. I greatly admire how BAC has built their organization, and hold them up as a model on how other corps should do it. A...
 February 4  2,733 replies 
LabMaster
 Carolina Crown 2023
LabMaster replied to MadisonBandMan1's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

...Boston lost staff through they years and never cried “ poaching”. I don’t recall other corps slamming a corps for poaching. Only Crown supporters. As far as money, it took Boston years to build the foundation they currently have. Most of the Crown folks that slam Boston have no idea at all how l...
 February 4  2,733 replies 
Thanks
LabMaster
 Carolina Crown 2023
LabMaster replied to MadisonBandMan1's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

...Certainly not poaching or any similar notion. Best of luck to Crown this year. Support them and for once drop the concern with BAC. It’s been 6 years for gosh sakes.
 February 3  2,733 replies 
Thanks
LabMaster
 Carolina Crown 2023

...They actually can’t articulate exactly how poaching is applicable whenever anyone moves to another corps. Just think of all recent moves and these would be poaching by their definition. From brass and percussion moves right on up to leadership positions.
 February 2  2,733 replies 
 Carolina Crown 2023
BWise replied to MadisonBandMan1's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

...That pretty much is poaching. And frankly the first three years honestly I did not even know the staff had left Crown and I kept saying .., why does Boston look just like Crown .. down to even the small stylistic body movements. Even down to their show graphics and social media packaging. it’s a...
 February 2  2,733 replies 
Haha
Boss Anova
 Carolina Crown 2023
Boss Anova replied to MadisonBandMan1's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

Well if someone utilizes the phrase “ poaching “ marchers and staff from other corps , then it’s kind of silly not to expect to receive at least a little pushback on that .. especially when marchers and staff have been moving between Corps since even BEFORE DCI was founded . It’s a common practice...
 January 29  2,733 replies
LabMaster
 Carolina Crown 2023

...But make it a legit criticism and not the same old cry of “ poaching”! If you even know what poaching is. Some one leaving a corps because they aren’t wanted or they want a new experience and there is a place for them with another corps and they move to another corps, isn’t poaching. So enough wit...
 January 29  2,733 replies 
LabMaster
 Carolina Crown 2023

Aagghh more of the dopey poaching baloney. So are all new crown staff poached from elsewhere? Same logic, right. Staff moving from one corps to another isn’t poaching. It’s staff moving to new gigs. For a variety of reasons. Some self directed, some disinvited. Let’s finally end the poaching co...
 January 28  2,733 replies 
Thanks
madisonsmiley
 Madison Scouts 2023
madisonsmiley replied to bobjective's topic in DCI World Class Corps Discussions

..." Poaching" staff isn't going to help the Scouts given their organizational issues. Komnick got into some type of pissing match with Jim Mason, who produced a DCI championship corps, was fielding a product for the Scouts that continued to improve, was a very generous donor, and fired him. How d...
 November 24, 2022  933 replies

Literally no Crown fan has used that term in more than year.  It's mostly Boston folks who use it (Craiga, Labmaster, Barneveld).    Man do facts SUCK!  In fact it looks like YOU are the most frequent user of the the term "poaching" in the past year ! I saw only 3 or 4 posts by Crown fans  in the results for the past 5 years!    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karuna said:

.  It's mostly Boston folks who use it (Craiga, Labmaster, Barneveld).    

The “ poaching “ pejorative is in the domain of Crown fans as many of them have used it frequently since 2016 , 7 years ago . It has been utilized by Crown fans on Reddit as recently as this summer . It’s a silly and ridiculous term and even most Crown fans have finally come around to the conclusion that to continue to utilize it after 5-6 years does invite some chuckles and harmless playfulness with Crown fans use of it . It in that context then that Boston Alums/ fans like Craiga , Labmaster , Barneveld have utilized in tongue in cheek . Crown fans that used the term , used it in a serious , pejorative manner . These 3 you mentioned utilized it in response to that in a playful , tongue in cheek manner 😊

Edited by Boss Anova

7 hours ago, karuna said:

if you read the original posts from the Boston fans (which actually did make it sound like it was something they invented).  

The Boston Crusaders did not “ invent “ the pre season May Move In concept where marchers practice at schools and sleep in the dorms . I have never heard such claims uttered by the Corps  , nor give off that impression , No one I know there “ brags  “ about the concept . Carolina Crown did not “ invent “ the concept of pre season practice on school grounds and marchers sleeping  in school dorms either. The concept predates their start up as a Drum Corps , and goes back at least as early as the 1970’s .
    For just one example , a couple of  DCI Drum Corps from Canada in the 1970’s  would bring their corps together in preseason and practice at schools and colleges and marchers would sleep in dorms there before heading out on tour .The De LaSalle  Oaklands at  DeLaSalle University come to mind for just one example . BD has brought their Percussion section in , in preseasons ( and even earlier ) to Riverside Community College in Calif , where they sleep in dorms there ( or in apartments nearby  ) and have done do for many many years .
    I’m sure other fans of other Corps on here can point to examples where their Corps utilized this practice and housing accommodations, and well before 2016 too . No Corps , Boston Crusaders included , took this preseason practice and housing accommodation concept from Carolina Crown either. 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

North End mob or Winter Hill?

Ahhh, the old WInter Hill Gang.  James"Buddy" Mclean, Howard "Howie" Winter.  Then the more famous guys.  Whitey Bulger, with sidekicks Cadillac Frank Salemme; Jim & John Martorano, Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi, and Kevin Weeks.