Ageout Numbers??

12 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

Crown just posted their ageout photo and I counted 46, which seems pretty good for a top tier corps. They should be solid next year if most of their corps returns.

Your count is correct.  Here’s the breakdown of number of ageouts and their no. years with Crown:

26 first year with Crown ageouts

10 second year

5 third year

2 fourth year

3 fifth year ageouts

• Thanks 3

On 8/15/2023 at 1:31 PM, BlueStainGlass said:

Did he get a ring is the question 

On 8/15/2023 at 3:23 PM, KVG_DC said:

And if so, does he count as the first Boston member to get a ring?   Or do we ask Dan Potter for an asterisk? 😉 
But seriously, that's a cool thing between corps.

On 8/15/2023 at 4:19 PM, Chief Guns said:

Or what if Boston had gotten the silver or bronze medal.............would he have received both medals from BD and BAC?

On 8/15/2023 at 6:42 PM, 84BDsop said:

And what a show to perform!

So, this transfer happened after BD had yet to be beaten and the mm probably knew they had a great chance to three peat.  I imagine alternates earn a ring if their corps wins.  But he goes to Boston so he could march during his final year.  Helll yes he should get something.  DCI's first Alternate of The Year Award has a nice ring (:thumbup:) to it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Metalbinky said:

Your count is correct.  Here’s the breakdown of number of ageouts and their no. years with Crown:

26 first year with Crown ageouts

10 second year

5 third year

2 fourth year

3 fifth year ageouts

So this is surprising to me and I'm curious why so few returning ageout vs rookouts? I get COVID year but they still had a crown season so it seems weird that a destination group and not a stepping stone group has that much turn over. I'd lose track of how many people march Blue Stars and then go to Bluecoats (alot of old Bluecoats teched at stars atleast in my time) but then they age out at coats after a couple seasons. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

So this is surprising to me and I'm curious why so few returning ageout vs rookouts? I get COVID year but they still had a crown season so it seems weird that a destination group and not a stepping stone group has that much turn over. I'd lose track of how many people march Blue Stars and then go to Bluecoats (alot of old Bluecoats teched at stars atleast in my time) but then they age out at coats after a couple seasons. 

The top corps will almost always have more first year age outs than the rest just because they are a top corps and some kids are looking to finish their DCI careers in a top group. It's more rare to see the 3+ year age outs just because there aren't many 18 year olds or younger that can make these top groups. For this year specifically, for percussion anyways, I don't remember seeing a single returning member in the battery this year. I'm pretty sure it was a rookie Crown line but almost everyone (if not everyone) marched DCI before or at the very least a WGI world line. But they had 3 age outs in the battery so all were "rookouts" with Crown. Young line otherwise though so could get a few 3+ year vets on there if they keep coming back (didn't hear anything from any of the guys saying they wouldn't be looking at coming back either).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

From what I read, all but only a couple of Crown's percussionists were new to Crown this year. I imagine there were a lot of first year Crown ageouts in their percussion section.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I think it speaks to how difficult it is to make a top 4 corps.   There are very few younger members that will make these corps, and even fewer that will march until their ageout.  Most will need to go through the vetting process of marching at lower competitive corps.

1 hour ago, Metalbinky said:

I think it speaks to how difficult it is to make a top 4 corps.   There are very few younger members that will make these corps, and even fewer that will march until their ageout.  Most will need to go through the vetting process of marching at lower competitive corps.

Even Brandon Olander had to go through the vetting process. He went to Academy in 2013 before BD took him in 2014. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, wilme861 said:

The top corps will almost always have more first year age outs than the rest just because they are a top corps and some kids are looking to finish their DCI careers in a top group. It's more rare to see the 3+ year age outs just because there aren't many 18 year olds or younger that can make these top groups. For this year specifically, for percussion anyways, I don't remember seeing a single returning member in the battery this year. I'm pretty sure it was a rookie Crown line but almost everyone (if not everyone) marched DCI before or at the very least a WGI world line. But they had 3 age outs in the battery so all were "rookouts" with Crown. Young line otherwise though so could get a few 3+ year vets on there if they keep coming back (didn't hear anything from any of the guys saying they wouldn't be looking at coming back either).

#6 bass drum for Crown was a high school kid from Vista Murrieta high school. He just started his senior year last week. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

#6 bass drum for Crown was a high school kid from Vista Murrieta high school. He just started his senior year last week. 

I remember hearing that. Also even more impressive since he joined the line after spring training as a replacement for an injury to the original bass 6. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wilme861 said:

I remember hearing that. Also even more impressive since he joined the line after spring training as a replacement for an injury to the original bass 6. 

Drove past Vista Murrieta high school yesterday on my way to the crib. Band was on the field rehearsing, he was out there.