Posted from Reddit

1 hour ago, wolfgang said:

OP here. I don't know, just copied/pasted from something on Reddit for discussion.

If I were the one doing the timing, though, big fat no. No credit should be given for simultaneous moving/playing if the section actually playing is not moving.

Amazingly enough, I believe the most simultaneous demand was on the Tuba section!  It was very apparent in person, even though they had people marching with horns up while not playing.  Baritone do not make trumpet noises. 

10 hours ago, Tony L. said:

My main issue with Phantom's show this year was the lack of marching while playing.  They did the same thing Madison did last year:  the section actually playing is stationary while the other member march/move.  

To the OP, was this type of movement included in the time marching while playing?  

It’s referred to as staging for a reason. I think Regiment played a lot whilst moving, they just didn’t parlay that movement into “drill” per se. They did a lot of scatter drill which I hope they address in 2024.

3 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

It’s referred to as staging for a reason. I think Regiment played a lot whilst moving, they just didn’t parlay that movement into “drill” per se. They did a lot of scatter drill which I hope they address in 2024.

You must be a Phantom Fan.

Interesting. 

I would like to see how Crossmen  fit into this category this year. That was a show that tended to be, as Rondinaro said at Prelims, about as drum corps and less prop as drum corps and less prop could be this season. 

And ironic, Troopers take the top spot this year. In my opinion, their show was a refreshing attempt of theme/ brand/ book and demand. Especially in the opener, which was incredibly well done to the demand of brass book and marching/ playing demand. 

So using this calculation, (whatever it may be to measure moving and playing), what shows come to mind that clock the highest amount of playing/ moving demand? 

This list is simply based on my viewing them over the years. I may get around to a stopwatch to time the movement and playing at some point. Especially those Cadet years where they are playing the

1. 1988 Cadets- Symphony #2 / Copland 

2. 1992 Cadets - To Tame the Perilous Skies - Holsinger 

3. 1991 Cavaliers - The Cavalier Anthems, an Advent Collection 

4. 1990 Star of Indiana - Belshazzars Feast 

5. 1987 Cadets - Appalachian Spring 

6. 1985 Cadets - Jeremiah, Make our Garden Grow, Candide 

7. 2009 SCV -Appalachian Spring  ( really, any of the Pete Webber years, 2007-2012). 

8. 2006 SCV - Moto Perpeto 

9. 2003 Cavaliers - Spin Cycle 

Edited by Dmlkmen

2 hours ago, Dmlkmen said:

I would like to see how Crossmen  fit into this category this year. That was a show that tended to be, as Rondinaro said at Prelims, about as drum corps and less prop as drum corps and less prop could be this season. 

For even less props, look at Genesis.  Or Guardians.  Is there a new state law about this?

10 hours ago, Tony L. said:

You must be a Phantom Fan.

Huzzah! Give Tony a cigar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1