Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

14 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Interesting as saw RB one year at Annapolis for DCA getting into the VIP van to go to the show. Other people talking to each other and he just sat there with a blank look staring ahead. 🤔

sounds like his trips to Williamsport

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

You still pay maintenance costs, it is factored into the rent.  No such thing as a free lunch.  

yes, but thats something you budget and often don't pay the full cost.

10 hours ago, TOC said:

This thread gives me a feeling like we've been here before.  GH had his supporters no matter what and SCV might be getting the same type of support.  Maybe G. Royer's will had a message for DCI.

what did the will say?

2 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

It's a family business, as far as he's concerned. So no.

he will give up power the same way Jerry Jones does.

granted, not the happiest thoughts for fans of either to hope for but......

15 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

They've been enduring challenge after challenge since before I marched. I'm immensely grateful they're still around... and also, I'm still seeing too many red flags. And also feeling bittersweet toward all my fellow alum who endured these challenges and nonetheless fielded powerful shows.

They are around because of Bingo. Sooooooo much Bingo they can squander millions of dollars a year and still put on corps (well, they use to be able to do that).

In 1992 I marched in Vanguard with the son of the "volunteer" that ended up going to jail over stealing from bingo that I uncovered in 2005/6. That's how long this stuff has been going on. They were members when Vanguard started. The husband of the thief that went to jail was on the payroll as well as the facilities manager.

The General Manager of the time that was their friend did not disclose the multi million dollar fraud in the annual registration to the state via form RFF-1 that explicitly asks if there had been any illegal conduct or misappropriation of funds. He too was a member of Vanguard when it was started. 

When the General Manager of SCV during the bingo fraud was eventually let go he found himself at the Sacramento Freelancers until they invariably were finished off. 

Vanguard continues to exist despite it's operational transgressions because Bingo brings is soooooooooo much money...................

I think their biggest challenge now is that with an entire year of actually not spending any Bingo money on any corps it's a hard discipline to actually now spend all that money on something other than their personal enrichment. 

This is why Vanguard Cadets is NEVER COMING BACK. That's just too much money to stop spending on themselves and put on the field.

Edited by Richard Lesher
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

sounds like his trips to Williamsport

Just gave me the creeps… must have been van going to Finals. Everyone else talking and looking around. There RB is… just.. looking… straight… ahead with a blank look. Like he was above acknowledging the people around him or wth?

If we ever get to see a FY2023 IRS 990 it will be a beautiful thing. 

100% of the expenses are operating overhead. We get to see without any comingled expenses in individual line items that are potentially from the corps. 100% of it is just people working on staff and facility operations. Oh, and guess it will be MUCH easier to estimate how much goes into Bingo Payroll as well. 

Additionally............. the Bingo Manager salary by itself is disclosed on the 990 as a regulatory requirement. So that means if on the 990 that all other income sources outside of bingo are not greater than his salary then 100% they are paying bingo salaries with Bingo revenue. 

I highly doubt they are making $100K+ of revenue without the corps and no tours from "other revenue" because remember, they can't solicit for donations. They didn't even net $100K from souvenirs (NET) when they were touring. 

FY2023 990 will be a beautiful thing.  

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If someone is willing to take over will RB be willing to give up the reins….

I stay in touch with a former staff member from Pioneer and occasionally get some insight into current happenings.  It's basically a waiting game for RB to either pass away, or reach a point where he's physically unable to run bingo and any other programming that Pioneer might be engaged with.  The rest of the family has implored him to give it up sooner, but so far there hasn't been a compromise reached that would allow that to happen.  In the meanwhile, they continue to maintain their property in the Milwaukee area for use by other community organizations.  I know Les Stentors practiced there last summer during their tour, and I believe other corps/bands have used the facility at times.  There's also supposedly some engagement with other non-profits in the community, but I can't find any evidence online to actually support that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1