Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

3 hours ago, lawdn said:

If I were a parent of a potential MM, I would be doing a lot of due diligence on the corps my kid was interested in marching, especially if I were providing financial support. If one of those corps had not filed a 990 for periods after October 2020, I would be strongly discouraging or vetoing my kid from marching there, and if they did it anyway, I would have an extraction plan ready. But by disposition, training, and experience I tend to have backup plans for backup plans.

What @DSpruce says about audited financials being completed gives me hope that the ship is being righted, and it would be fantastic to see the late 990s filed and VMAPA return to good standing as a CA nonprofit. That should be key information for potential MMs and their financial supporters as stakeholders, as it would be for any corps, especially any returning after an absence from competition.

i am hopeful what Dpsruce offers is true...since as they are always quick to claim they get it 3rd hand. but from the people that know 1st hand, we get sunshine and roses and deleted social media posts questioning the organization.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

i am hopeful what Dpsruce offers is true...since as they are always quick to claim they get it 3rd hand. but from the people that know 1st hand, we get sunshine and roses and deleted social media posts questioning the organization

If by social media you mean fb, I’ve explained how that all works and sunshine and roses is a cynical exaggeration. If you mean insta, I have no idea.

3 minutes ago, DSpruce said:

No it isn’t. the distinction is what does it mean to proactively ask. Nobody implied (the word is implied, not inferred btw) that DCI ok is the only ok needed.

so per lawyers SCV can't solicit, but if someone donates just because, then it's ok? thats very murky

Just now, DSpruce said:

If by social media you mean fb, I’ve explained how that all works and sunshine and roses is a cynical exaggeration. If you mean insta, I have no idea.

social media is any form of social sight, including this. and from what i have seen, i'm far less cynical than reality

• Like 2

Unless DSpruce is a board member, or a close friend/partner of a board member, it doesn't matter what they say because they 100% don't know the full story. 

The organization is not known for its transparency, and unless they/their source is actively involved in the actual process, they don't know what is actually going on. 

Also, just to be fair, they raise a lot of red flags in terms of general social awareness and communication... So, I would take whatever they say with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Unless DSpruce is a board member, or a close friend/partner of a board member, it doesn't matter what they say because they 100% don't know the full story. 

The organization is not known for its transparency, and unless they/their source is actively involved in the actual process, they don't know what is actually going on. 

Also, just to be fair, they raise a lot of red flags in terms of general social awareness and communication... So, I would take whatever they say with a grain of salt. 

Re grain of salt yeah that’s what *I’m* saying with the qualifiers, the very qualifiers that Ream seems to make fun of above, you’re agreeing with me. There’s nothing wrong with those actively involved knowing more than those who aren’t however ominously it is stated.

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Then surely you must realize what breathtakingly awful PR it is for VMAPA to preach spirit of honesty and transparency while spending a full YEAR purposefully silent about the audit issue.

Having the org recover and not be dominated by online negativity sure seems to taste salty to some. Gio said that in her statement as I recall, she’s expressing her views as director. Nobody has preached. 

FYI just looked at SCV webpage and saw nothing on donations. Ads for bingo and clothing but no donate pages or links. 
edit: I only looked at the support page. Didn’t check the drop down menu in the top right 🤦‍♂️

Edited by JimF-LowBari