Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

Just now, DSpruce said:

I’m just a random person. Sorry not sorry to trolls. 

So are you saying “random stakeholders” aren’t owed that much money or “random stakeholders” don’t deserve much of an explanation (of what is going on).

Trolling no, pointing out imo disrespect to supporters…

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So are you saying “random stakeholders” aren’t owed that much money or “random stakeholders” don’t deserve much of an explanation (of what is going on).

Trolling no, pointing out imo disrespect to supporters…

I mean, folks have suggested that withholding their donation is supposed to exercise special leverage on the org, and that that sort of donation is not sufficient in quantity to exercise the sort of leverage supposed. How do you support the org specifically?

1 minute ago, DSpruce said:

I mean, folks have suggested that withholding their donation is supposed to exercise special leverage on the org, and that that sort of donation is not sufficient in quantity to exercise the sort of leverage supposed. How do you support the org specifically?

Only leverage I see is people wanting to know wth is going on as there are many questions. When I see posts saying “I want to make sure I’m not throwing my money away by donating” that’s something that should be listened to. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DSpruce said:

I know stuff about the audits status as well but holding back because I don’t want to be picked apart within an inch of my life. they are fine. They don’t owe random “stakeholders” all that much. The donations being withheld are tiny. 

I think you have mentioned that you have supported SCV financially and put in volunteer time, which I wholly respect. My guess is you did these things out of affection for the organization, respect for its mission, and a belief it would put those resources to good use, not because it would get you the ear of leadership. It is probably the same for most small donors, and it is for me. 

P.S. You may have donated a ton of time and money - I don’t mean to suggest you are a small donor.

Edited by lawdn
Clarification

9 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

How 'bout those Detroit Lions!  Someone on here lives in the Motor city?  Was it @Jurassic Lancer:whistle: 

Edit for topic: would love to see the Premiere return to Ford Field (or Indy) & SCV perform in 2024... 

How about those Lions!

Yup, I live in Motown! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lawdn said:

think you have mentioned that you have supported SCV financially and put in volunteer time, which I wholly respect. My guess is you did these things out of affection for the organization, respect for its mission, and a belief it would put those resources to good use, not because it would get you the ear of leadership. It is probably the same for most small donors, and it is for me. 

P.S. You may have donated a ton of time and money - I don’t mean to suggest you are a small donor.

Accurate

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

When I see posts saying “I want to make sure I’m not throwing my money away by donating” that’s something that should be listened to. 

This extends to time and expertise donated too, as there will always be valuable stakeholders who cannot donate money.

But the real point here is that many healthy nonprofits have a salaried volunteer/alumni manager and salaried development/donor manager for good reasons. These responsibilities must be cautiously monitored, otherwise you encounter situations like what we find here in this thread and serious concerns raised herein and beyond.

For examples within the drum corps world, SoA has an alumni director and BD has a development coordinator. Leaving all this to volunteers is super risky.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DSpruce said:

I know stuff about the audits status as well but holding back because I don’t want to be picked apart within an inch of my life. they are fine. They don’t owe random “stakeholders” all that much. The donations being withheld are tiny. 

To quote the SCV 2024 announcement:

“As we look forward to the future, we do so with a spirit of honesty, transparency, and a deep commitment to learning from our past.”  

So, I suppose what matters is how you define honesty & transparency with regard to “random “stakeholders””. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4