Real ideas for sustainability & revenue

LabMaster initiated this thread to brainstorm some revenue sources and strategies with the hopes of hearing some fresh ideas.

Instead, we once again find ourselves up to our ears in nostalgic time travel by some people. 

Do you guys not get it? Neighborhood drum corps sponsored by churches and VFW posts went away 40 years ago. The activity and society in general has changed and is not going back.

Yet, drum corps is still a wonderful activity for young people and adults alike.  We just need to figure out how to make the finances better for all.

And one more time, for the record, neither Spirit nor SCV nor Cadets opted to take a summer off because they ran out of money.  In each one of these cases, their misfortunes can be directly traced back to bad behavior....in one case, decades ago.

Now...back to revenue streams.....

19 minutes ago, craiga said:

LabMaster initiated this thread to brainstorm some revenue sources and strategies with the hopes of hearing some fresh ideas.

Instead, we once again find ourselves up to our ears in nostalgic time travel by some people. 

Do you guys not get it? Neighborhood drum corps sponsored by churches and VFW posts went away 40 years ago. The activity and society in general has changed and is not going back.

Yet, drum corps is still a wonderful activity for young people and adults alike.  We just need to figure out how to make the finances better for all.

And one more time, for the record, neither Spirit nor SCV nor Cadets opted to take a summer off because they ran out of money.  In each one of these cases, their misfortunes can be directly traced back to bad behavior....in one case, decades ago.

Well, actually, Cadets BOD member did say they pulled out of 2024 because of finances. And he didn’t say it’s because of the lawsuit. Just sayin’

I get that you don’t see the activity in dire financial circumstances.  But some of us disagree. That’s cool, right?

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The answer is always ‘No. Cannot possibly work’. 

Didn’t say no. Pointing out the challenge. Just doing it the old way isn’t the solution. There may be a solution that has some old and current together but just turning back the clock isn’t the answer 

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I anticipate more corps “taking a year off” to deal with finances as time marches on.  We are lemmings and …. Hey is that a cliff I see ahead of us?

The problem is the history isn’t the quick fix everyone thinks. Times have changed. Can parts of history be blended with the current times? Possibly. But just turning the clock back to 1968 won’t work 

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, actually, Cadets BOD member did say they pulled out of 2024 because of finances. And he didn’t say it’s because of the lawsuit. Just sayin’

I get that you don’t see the activity in dire financial circumstances.  But some of us disagree. That’s cool, right?

I see an activity which has immense financial challenges requiring innovation in terms of funding. 

Suggested that corps shouldn't travel more than three hours to a show so they can "go home" each week is neither innovative nor responsive to this threads intent.

46 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Obviously they would have to re-work transportation agreements. If something isn't done to curb this expense, either more corps will go SCV 2023, or tour fees would have to increase substantially.

Yes, non-local membership has increased the cost of the activity dramatically. This just means that drastic measures need to be taken to remain viable.

If you can only travel 3 hours from home, that's what you do. The bottom line is, we can't continue the current trend of ever-increasing expenses and hope the money is there to pay for it. 

Honestly that’ll turn kids off and away. And that will kill the activity faster than bus fees. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Didn’t say no. Pointing out the challenge. Just doing it the old way isn’t the solution. There may be a solution that has some old and current together but just turning back the clock isn’t the answer 

Oh c’mon now Jeff, you’re better than this. Don’t be so dismissive and handwave this off like everyone who thinks cost containment is necessary wants to go back to 1968.  I think a Nittany Lion can come up with something better than that!

BTW I prefer 1976. 

Edited by HockeyDad

29 minutes ago, craiga said:

And with fewer corps it makes going back to the regional model unsustainable. And unless there’s several billionaires out there with cash to start new corps up to fill in the gap, it’ll never go back.

4 minutes ago, craiga said:

I see an activity which has immense financial challenges requiring innovation in terms of funding. 

Suggested that corps shouldn't travel more than three hours to a show so they can "go home" each week is neither innovative nor responsive to this threads intent.

And in several corps cases, there aren’t enough shows within 3 hours to even go to. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Oh c’mon now Jeff, you’re better than this. Don’t be so dismissive and handwave this off like everyone who thinks cost containment is necessary wants to go back to 1968.  I think a Nittany Lion can come up with something better than that!

BTW I prefer 1976. 

1976 isn’t the solution either because there’s still not enough corps in every region. 

or 1986

or 1996.