The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

16 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I appreciate your clarifying the strictness of the language in the case.

I'll acquiesce to say I'm clearly trying to draw some connections here regarding motivation like everyone else. I'm merely hypothesizing that perhaps plaintiff isn't merely trying to get money out of Cadets or destroy them, but like most in her position, want other things. Like acknowledgement, the opportunity to contribute to overall positive change, a public record. Again, never speaking for others, though, just providing another perspective. But some of these go a long way to quiet the adverse outcomes of abuse. That's priceless.

Seeking meaningful change and acknowledgement from the org is good and well. However, based on the statement released from The Cadets board, that doesn’t seem to be the case here. This is monetary, the board is aware it’s monetary. They have tied their current financial situation to the case which means they know they will have to pay and the plaintiff is seeking compensation. You don’t walk into a mediation without already knowing the demands of the other party. 

The writing is on the wall and this is the destruction of the Cadets. 

Edited by TheOneWhoKnows
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Seeking meaningful change and acknowledgement from the org is good and well. However, based on the statement released from The Cadets board, that doesn’t seem to be the case here. This is monetary, the board is aware it’s monetary. They have tied their current financial situation to the case which means they know they will have to pay and the plaintiff is seeking compensation. You don’t walk into a mediation without already knowing the demands of the other party. 

Exactly, I really don't think the Cadets have the financial resources to pay out enough make a positive dent in the lives they have negatively altered AND still go forward with existence. It's not about the money. The money is the means to the end result. 

I will admit, when I get push back and ostracized from my own alumni group of enablers it steels my resolve. I can only imagine this group of victims fury now fueled with NJ laws, and a realization the "gangsta" like intimidation being thrown their way is merely from a group of band nerds who's lives never advanced much beyond the success of their marching days. 

If all that comes out of this is the attorneys actually get all the money and nothing is left but a path of destruction then so be it. 

34 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

and a realization the "gangsta" like intimidation being thrown their way is merely from a group of band nerds who's lives never advanced much beyond the success of their marching days. 

Project much?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I never said I thought money wasn't a part of it. I said what if it wasn't only that.

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I never said I thought money wasn't a part of it. I said what if it wasn't only that.

I get that. But the complaint filed in itself clearly states the accuser is seeking compensatory damagers. It doesn't state that the accuser is seeking acknowledgement and correction. This is purely about money. 

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

but the corps name is. and thats where i believe the issue lays

And the exodus from Cadets begins. Brian Murphy now working with Academy on their design team.

1 hour ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I get that. But the complaint filed in itself clearly states the accuser is seeking compensatory damagers. It doesn't state that the accuser is seeking acknowledgement and correction. This is purely about money. 

Acknowledgement and correction sometimes only happen with compensation. Often in our cruel world, it's the only way.

Some of us fighting for acknowledgement and correction feel we may never get either, especially not without court involvement. So we do what other things we can, like supporting other victims.

I don't think I have enough evidence to know whether it's all about the money. That the defendant said that isn't really enough. I tend to want to hear from the victims before assuming I know motivation. Sounds like what she sent through was pretty bad.

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Acknowledgement and correction sometimes only happen with compensation. Often in our cruel world, it's the only way.

Some of us fighting for acknowledgement and correction feel we may never get either, especially not without court involvement. So we do what other things we can, like supporting other victims.

I don't think I have enough evidence to know whether it's all about the money. That the defendant said that isn't really enough. I tend to want to hear from the victims before assuming I know motivation. Sounds like what she sent through was pretty bad.

The court documents say enough to know motivation. The plaintiff seeks compensation. It's there in writing. If that is not the desired result, there were other avenues. All those victims that came out in the article against GH certainly affected change. Point being, this is about money and we will now be losing a drum corps in the activity because of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

The court documents say enough to know motivation. The plaintiff seeks compensation. It's there in writing. If that is not the desired result, there were other avenues. All those victims that came out in the article against GH certainly affected change. Point being, this is about money and we will now be losing a drum corps in the activity because of it. 

I don't think our legal system is set up to reveal the full motivation here. Complaints have to fit within the courts' scope of practice. Why would any court claim to be able to provide acknowledgement and improvements as a result of a case? Those are outcomes that are out of their control, AFAIK. But we can agree to disagree.

Other avenues aren't always available or are deeply flawed. I never said change can't be influenced in other ways, merely that it can be difficult or inaccesible. That leaves the courts.

This just sounds too proximal to victim blaming for me to agree. Concensus in the SoA thread was that pinning victims for the loss of an org/the activity is akin to victim blaming. While there are differences between the two cases, they aren't so stark as to make this aspect wholly different.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I don't think our legal system is set up to reveal the full motivation here. Complaints have to fit within the courts' scope of practice. Why would any court claim to be able to provide acknowledgement and improvements as a result of a case? Those are outcomes that are out of their control, AFAIK. But we can agree to disagree.

Other avenues aren't always available or are deeply flawed. I never said change can't be influenced in other ways, merely that it can be difficult or inaccesible. That leaves the courts.

This just sounds too proximal to victim blaming for me to agree. Concensus in the SoA thread was that pinning victims for the loss of an org/the activity is akin to victim blaming. While there are differences between the two cases, they aren't so stark as to make this aspect wholly different.

I'm not victim blaming. I'm merely stating facts. This case is seeking compensation. The organization simply doesn't have the funds to be paying out compensation. Therefore, the organization will have to file bankruptcy and fold. It's simple facts. 

• Like 1