The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes, but this sounds like another case of legitimate institutional culpability.  A company whose primary objective is to make money in the business of manipulating money had half a billion dollars in sanctions violations occur on their platform over a period of six years.

well...going back to an earlier post where someone said sexual abuse seemed to be a culture at Cadets. it appears the judge thinks there's a similarity. After all, Cadets were in it to make money and win trophies.

Edited by Jeff Ream

56 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Question. (raises hand from the back of the room) I was thinking statement #36 was just referring to GH as an agent or employee as a staff member.  Was GH in a leadership position in 1982? When did he become the director?

It seems like the judge overseeing the case may know the history of the Cadets since the events of 2018+ as well as the nefarious acts of the stated individual?     

GH first year was 1978 on drum staff.  IDK when he became director, but it was by mid 1980s.   And judge has access to depositions (I would be stunned if GH was not deposed in this case); the lawyers will ask questions in the depositions to bolster their case.  So past nefarious acts, of which GH was convicted, are part of the record.   As well as any other testimony made by him  or others (under oath) are part of the record.  

If/when the content of the depositions becomes public it will be an interesting read.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Stoopid autocorrect.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

So we have some common ground.

We do. but i'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on DCP. I don't even watch legal shows. and in this day and age, given the climate, the corps is probably screwed regardless of what we think.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Nothing galls me more about this whole thing than the old “It’s just George being George” trope they hauled out as a defense for their lack of reporting. 

well....one more thing to add to this:

since the issue came to light, everyone involved can't do enough to try and distance themselves from it claiming George being George, as opposed to saying "yeah, we ####ed up and enabled it because we wanted to win. We're sorry."

Nope, hey 1934, FHNSAB, maroon and gold etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Yup,  I get the sacrifice to make non profits work all too well.

Just... seems... all the more sad that time and energy wasn't taken to prepare. It's even been said in this thread. That more lawsuits were expected after 2018...

Edit to add: I welcome correction if they were preparing that whole time and I'm just not aware.

sadly, i think the entire focus was on finding a way to keep the corps going.

42 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Was GH in a leadership position in 1982? When did he become the director?

George Hopkins was the Director of the Cadets in 1982. He was Asst Director in 1981 and became Director in the Fall of '81 after Doc Santo retired. 

Edited by TonyM11th
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

GH first year was 1978 on drum staff.  IDK when he became director, but it was by mid 1980s.  

GH was still marching Crossmen in 1978.  1979 was his first year on Garfield drum staff.  1983 was his first year as corps director. 

I do not know precisely when the leadership transition occurred.  It was announced in a press release in a DCW issue mailed on January 17th, 1983, which also mentions a corps camp held the weekend of December 31 through January 2.  The annual corps awards banquet was held during this camp.

Edited by cixelsyd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

GH was still marching Crossmen in 1978.  1979 was his first year on Garfield drum staff.  1983 was his first year as corps director. 

I do not know precisely when the leadership transition occurred.  It was announced in a press release in a DCW issue mailed on January 17th, 1983, which also mentions a corps camp held the weekend of December 31 through January 2.  The annual corps awards banquet was held during this camp.

Was GH's first year as director 1983? I remember it being 1982. I'm sure a Garfield alum can clarify this!

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

well...going back to an earlier post where someone said sexual abuse seemed to be a culture at Cadets. it appears the judge thinks there's a similarity. After all, Cadets were in it to make money and win trophies.

I do not see the connection.  Sexual abuse does not make money for a drum corps, nor does it win trophies.

Is your subsequent post what you really meant?

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

since the issue came to light, everyone involved can't do enough to try and distance themselves from it claiming George being George, as opposed to saying "yeah, we ####ed up and enabled it because we wanted to win. We're sorry."