Ticket Prices

Ok, so full disclosure I haven't been to a show since 2015, and haven't PAID for a show since 2003 in the pocket between when I marched and when I started teaching...

...but I had the urge to look into seeing a local show this summer, and was shocked that a show with 6 corps is $55-$75. 

HAS THIS BECOME NORMAL? I can see a popular band at Roadrunner or MGM in Boston for that amount. I paid only slightly more to see the Postal Service and Death Cab when they were here in the fall. I'm seeing a slough of shows this Spring with popular groups and NONE of them even are that amount. 

Needless to say, I'll catch the show online. Just kinda baffled at how crazy prices have become for a non-regional, small show. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac

like everything in life, ticket prices have gone up. why? venue costs have gone up. staffing costs have gone up. a Penn State Hockey game was $99 a seat and in abuilding that only holds 5500, and we weren't sitting by the boards. 

I'm happy to pay to see the shows. I really enjoy seeing the corps. Not only do I personally get much enjoyment from a live show but I'm helping to develop young musicians minds and helping them to create memories that will last a lifetime. 

Unlike seeing a rock or pop artist live, the quality of the performance live is so much better than recorded. 

I can think of a few years I was working alot and didn't make it to a show, and I am always sad that I wasn't able to see those shows live. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

like everything in life, ticket prices have gone up. why? venue costs have gone up. staffing costs have gone up. a Penn State Hockey game was $99 a seat and in abuilding that only holds 5500, and we weren't sitting by the boards. 

I mean, sure. Everything is more expensive. It just seems like another indicator that the DCI business model isn't exactly working anymore. That cost is prohibitive. 

I'll stop complaining about the Stanford show (DCI West). I splurge on the box seats that comes with a BBQ, and I think last year they were $125 or so. Snacks and drinks in the box (nothing amazing, chips and cookies and sodas, but still something), and easy access to the restrooms plus the views from the box with all seats more or less no farther out than the 25yrd. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I mean, sure. Everything is more expensive. It just seems like another indicator that the DCI business model isn't exactly working anymore. That cost is prohibitive. 

Harken back to where drum corps started from (out of the locations of VFW's and American Legions) the activity still hasn't exited out of that. While the production has expanded beyond John Philip Sousa and symmetrical formations, the audience is not. Who the activity sell tickets to has not expanded. 

Yea $50+ for a show where maybe ONE corps will be worth sitting through if you are not a parent or fan really can sting. 

20 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I disagree. Last season I attended the Mason OH show and it was sold out. Granted, there were 4 top 12 corps at that show. Perhaps the prices should vary more to reflect the number and caliber of the groups performing. My biggest gripe is when the ticket prices are high and the shows are rained out. I wish there was a way to get a credit to a future show.

• Like 1

I paid $5 for a pretty good seat at DCI Finals in 1972.  That's about $38 today. I wish that were the case. 

I have no issues with the current show prices, particularly at local shows.

Remember,  the host corps gets 100% of the gate at these shows, which means that money goes directly toward feeding, housing, and taking care of the members.

Secondly,  the $55-$75 seats are probably high up in the center.  There are still alot of seats much less than that, and there is nothing wrong with sitting on the 35.  You don't have to be sitting in the GE judge's lap to enjoy the show.

Please God,  let's not start in on high ticket prices being caused by uniforms,  props, electronics,  or "dancing and prancing"...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, craiga said:

I have no issues with the current show prices, particularly at local shows.

Remember,  the host corps gets 100% of the gate at these shows, which means that money goes directly toward feeding, housing, and taking care of the members.

Secondly,  the $55-$75 seats are probably high up in the center.  There are still alot of seats much less than that, and there is nothing wrong with sitting on the 35.  You don't have to be sitting in the GE judge's lap to enjoy the show.

Please God,  let's not start in on high ticket prices being caused by uniforms,  props, electronics,  or "dancing and prancing"...

At this particular show, $55 are the lowest tier.