SCV Decades Project: 2003, Pathways

7 hours ago, Vuitton said:

it doesn't matter. If I had to sit behind the stage to see U2 or Bob Dylan, I would do it. People fill the cheaper seats behind the symphony at the San Francisco Symphony just to see the concert. The point is there should be enough fans that people are willing to get cheap tickets in the end zones and at the back stands just to be there. In the 80s and 90s as a poor college student I would have paid to sit in the back stands at finals rather than not be there. Now, that I have money, I won't even both to go to a drum corps show today. It's not worth it to see 1-2 shows that are actually good and entertaining. Much of the front sideline is full of the corps that performed earlier in the week and family members of all those corps. Joe Blow off the street just isn't walking into Lucas Oil to see the show. 

Well if you mic every performer in a drum corps and plus it into the house sound, that’s a valid comparison 

4 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

What boggles my mind is that attendance was highest around the time of my birth, the 80s, before the interwebz could be used to share the artform widely.

By the time I marched Pathways, we'd barely recovered to the 20k mark.

That's a quandary only my elders could really begin to reflect and respond to. I'm stumped. Unless AL/VFW and the mid 20th century wars/required enlistment played that big of a role in drum corps recruitment?? Or am I way off base?

Pathways was quite the departure from drum corps's militaristic roots... artistically anyway...

Society changed. Alumni didn’t follow with the passion previous generations did, especially as corps folded. Fewer shows to go to. And in some cases design turned people off. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 8:06 PM, Jeff Ream said:

Well if you mic every performer in a drum corps and plus it into the house sound, that’s a valid comparison 

I think it's valid regardless.

On 4/21/2024 at 8:08 PM, Jeff Ream said:

Society changed. Alumni didn’t follow with the passion previous generations did, especially as corps folded. Fewer shows to go to. And in some cases design turned people off. 

All valid points, and all big big big problems. There's a lot I love about modern drum corps (electronics, props, uniforms, body movement, and trombones) but to me it's not very entertaining from a musical and visual perspective. I think that is the biggest problem. The shows aren't written for the paying audience, they are written purely for the judges and the sheets. It's all a big technical exericse, and that's quite boring. I've probably liked 5 shows in the last 10 years and loved much fewer. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vuitton said:

The shows aren't written for the paying audience, they are written purely for the judges and the sheets.

My wife and I attended DCI Finals for the first time ever last year. We had the time of our lives, and judging by the multiple standing ovations the corps got from the majority of fans in attendance, I would say they would be inclined to agree with me. 

Maybe i missed it, but I don't remember seeing or hearing anyone demanding their money back. 

In fact from what I saw, most people where doing what I was doing, and that was ordering their 2024 Finals packages from their phones on the spot. 

And as bad*** as last year was.......2024 will be even better. Can't wait. 

Edited by Chief Guns
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2024 at 9:31 PM, Chief Guns said:

My wife and I attended DCI Finals for the first time ever last year. We had the time of our lives, and judging by the multiple standing ovations the corps got from the majority of fans in attendance, I would say they would be inclined to agree with me. 

Maybe i missed it, but I don't remember seeing or hearing anyone demanding their money back. 

In fact from what I saw, most people where doing what I was doing, and that was ordering their 2024 Finals packages from their phones on the spot. 

And as bad*** as last year was.......2024 will be even better. Can't wait. 

That's great for you and all the fans in the stands. I'm glad you enjoy it so much. I do not.

And, the shows ARE written for the sheets. That cannot be denied. The judges are what's important to the corps, not the fans.

Edited by Vuitton
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1