When you wish upon a Star

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's SO wonderful to read through this thread extolling the efforts and accomplishments of Star.

I was a DCI participant in 1985-1989 when Star was born and came of age. I adored them - their sound, their music choices, their uniqueness - and was always STUNNED at the level of hatred and disgust what was thrown their direction.

I remember sitting in the stands in '93 with the full awareness that a real contributor to the activity would more than likely not be back. Here it is TEN years later and people still get upset when you mention Star, despite the fact that their general financial management model (and I don't mean corporate sponsorship) is now practiced by most solvent corps and so much of what they were blasted for in '93 (music selection, horn player movement) is now a staple of the activity.

In a lot of ways DCI wasn't worthy of Star, but boy I'm glad they were around. I still miss them at finals.

To this day my favorite Star show was '85. Winning didn't matter. Playing more notes than everyone else didn't matter. Marching 300 pages of drill really really fast didn't matter.

Entertaining the audience while having fun did matter.

If only they would have remembered that in the 90's...

Hey Mike Chromik,

It's not funny to post a trivia question and not follow up... I'll give you until the end of the day before I spill the answer.

The funniest thing is that the announcer made the same mistake all night, going on, coming off and at retreat when the score was announced! 3x in one night, despite the crowd correcting him! :huh:

Ok, since Mike's not going to answer it, I'll fill you all in.

The announcer at our first show in Normal, IL said:

"on the starting line, from Bloomington, Indiana, the Star of INDIA!" :lol:

Before we even had a chance to debut, we had suddenly been renamed after one of the largest sapphires in the world!! Star of India

Despite the crowd later yelling at the press box "Star of Indiana!!" the announcer repeated himself as we passed in review and even later at retreat. :lol:

He must've had curried chicken on his mind! :huh:

Edited by StarContra4-85

Funny, in '93, the last year for Star, the scoreboard at the Preview of Champions prelims show said the same thing. :D

Funny, in '93, the last year for Star, the scoreboard at the Preview of Champions prelims show said the same thing. :D

Nice way to bookend the corps!

FYI, the Star of India is also the name of the world's oldest wooden hulled sailing ship that is still seaworthy...been tied up in San Diego for years.

Did someone say "tied up"?

Oh Kelli!!!!! B)

Nice way to bookend the corps!

FYI, the Star of India is also the name of the world's oldest wooden hulled sailing ship that is still seaworthy...been tied up in San Diego for years.

And it's reported to be haunted...maybe that was foreshadowing as well.... :sshh: