Or 85 Suncoast B)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to watch the best of the 80's you can't leave out 82 bridgemen and 84 suncoast - by far two of the best shows of the 80's
Or 85 Suncoast 

Or 86 Suncoast! :)

this is a little off topic... and i know this is an "historical" forum, but i really wish i had seen scouts 95... the crowd response alone makes me think that this is the one show that i wish i had seen live...

B'sides, you guys all HAVE a ring!!!

Yeah, but you know........

The ring represents a moment in time. It doesn't put a smile on my face as much as reading somebody elses impressions of our performances......whether we won or lost.

Oh, I know...losing by 1/10th doesn't wipe away 9 months of memories of the best musical group I ever played with...living out of the attic in the bingo hall for 2 months, sharing our apartment with a dozen or so other dudes, how often Andy Hedein was late to practice (EVERY DAY!!), watching Scott and Jake golf at every opportunity, etc.

On the BD board there's a thread about Dave Fowler meeting Scott Heffle (84Cadet & bluestars80)...Fowler made the mistake of mentioning the ring, and the thread kinda got hijacked...we're discussing the 84 version of La Fiesta right now!

If it makes you guys feel any better, in my opinion (and believe me, I'm not the only one) BD won in '84. Now I don't say this to try and #### anyone (Garfield) off, but I can honestly say in the 25 years I've been involved with Corps, I've never witnessed a show that had more drive, energy, talent, sophistication and pure in-your-face Drum Corps than that show. All I know is anytime I introduce Corps to someone, '84 BD is the first thing they hear, and thanks to you guys who put it out there. Rich

Edited by RichCranford82

Well, we all know it was Sam's fault that BD came in second in '84.

B)

B'sides, you guys all HAVE a ring!!!

Yeah, but you know........

The ring represents a moment in time. It doesn't put a smile on my face as much as reading somebody elses impressions of our performances......whether we won or lost.

Oh, I know...losing by 1/10th doesn't wipe away 9 months of memories of the best musical group I ever played with...living out of the attic in the bingo hall for 2 months, sharing our apartment with a dozen or so other dudes, how often Andy Hedein was late to practice (EVERY DAY!!), watching Scott and Jake golf at every opportunity, etc.

On the BD board there's a thread about Dave Fowler meeting Scott Heffle (84Cadet & bluestars80)...Fowler made the mistake of mentioning the ring, and the thread kinda got hijacked...we're discussing the 84 version of La Fiesta right now!

If it makes you guys feel any better, in my opinion (and believe me, I'm not the only one) BD won in '84. Now I don't say this to try and #### anyone (Garfield) off, but I can honestly say in the 25 years I've been involved with Corps, I've never witnessed a show that had more drive, energy, talent, sophistication and pure in-your-face Drum Corps than that show. All I know is anytime I introduce Corps to someone, '84 BD is the first thing they hear, and thanks to you guys who put it out there. Rich

Gee thanks from me too. In the three years I marched nothing was as intense as the 84 finals' show. Most of the people I've talked with who marched that year have a similar experience. One thing that seems to come up is that the concentration was so focused that many only remember playing bits and pieces of the first two tunes (Bacchanal and Latin Implosion). And the highlights of that show was the crowd response after La Fiesta and the closer. So gee thanks again for the comment

And the highlights of that show was the crowd response after La Fiesta and the closer.

Oh my God, YES!!!!! Still to this day, man...

Randy....as a matter of fact I DID spend the entire bus ride back from Atlanta wondering what I did to cost of the show.

Jerry, you remember be marching the drill solo at our housing site the daye after finals? I did the entire show....visuals and all...Stymie asked me if I won after I came off the field.

Rich, like Jerry, my sincere thanks! And BTW....Garfield thought they'd LOST the show! According to Dave Fowler, they felt Prelims was a better performance.

If there had ever been a good time for a tie for 1st it was 1984! I was there, and I still consider it one of the best World Championships I have ever attended!

A belated "thank you!" to the Blue Devils and the Garfield Cadets!

...and SCV...and the Phantom Regiment...and the Madison Scouts...and the Spirit of Atlanta...and Suncoast Sound... and The Freelancers...and...oh, you get the point! :P

Edited by DonPRBari

If there had ever been a good time for a tie for 1st it was 1984! I was there, and I still consider it one of the best World Championships I have ever attended!

A belated "thank you!" to the Blue Devils and the Garfield Cadets!

...and SCV...and the Phantom Regiment...and the Madison Scouts...and the Spirit of Atlanta...and Suncoast Sound... and The Freelancers...and...oh, you get the point! :P

Funny thing was, duringour warm up for prelims (when it was raining....anyone remember SCV huddling under a tree?), I asked Todd Swanson, the 83 DM who was on staff in 84, what happened if there was a tie!

Little did I know it would happen to ME 2 years later in the UK...whilst wearing a BD style uni and playing West Side Story!!

And the highlights of that show was the crowd response after La Fiesta and the closer.

Oh my God, YES!!!!! Still to this day, man...

Randy....as a matter of fact I DID spend the entire bus ride back from Atlanta wondering what I did to cost of the show.

Jerry, you remember be marching the drill solo at our housing site the daye after finals? I did the entire show....visuals and all...Stymie asked me if I won after I came off the field.

Rich, like Jerry, my sincere thanks! And BTW....Garfield thought they'd LOST the show! According to Dave Fowler, they felt Prelims was a better performance.

I don't remember much the next day, I had the most massive headache from the night before and all I wanted to do was sleep most of the day.

Just a note: for me 84 finals was a much better experience than 83. In 83 I was in SCV and we had gone from first place to third and experienced a very negative crowd reaction. After retreat the corps was lectured by Gail for the incident (but that's been discussed in other posts)

Edited by jbl