1977 Bridgemen

Well. I read this and, I would have to say I am disturbed. Why the Regiment received special honor as "the" corps credited with the Bridgemens overage issue, is curious. If there were other corps, as the writer suggests, why weren't they listed?

There also appears to be an attempt at revisionist history.

To quote:

"At DCI Midwest Finals, the gap was closed to .75 behind the Regiment. The Regiment, exhibiting a level of class that was typical of their organization during that time period, opened all of their bus windows, shouting catcalls and obscenities at the Bridgemen as they left the parking lot."

Gee, I know I'm old, but I certainly don't remember that, and I was there.

Want more class:

Oh, the show? The Bridgemen beat Phantom by 1.05, vowing that they would keep these helmet-headed miscreants in the rear-view mirror for the rest of the year.

Yes, there was "tension" between the corps. Back then, that was nothing new, and it was certainly not one sided. They are not the "innocent victims" here.

Rocketman - setting the record straight

ampssuck

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"At DCI Midwest Finals, the gap was closed to .75 behind the Regiment. The Regiment, exhibiting a level of class that was typical of their organization during that time period, opened all of their bus windows, shouting catcalls and obscenities at the Bridgemen as they left the parking lot."

Gee, I know I'm old, but I certainly don't remember that, and I was there.

True, you were there but you may not have been on the bus that was shouting out the windows.

I've heard this story from many different Bridgemen and all conclude that there was a lot of tension between the two corps, that would go on for a few years to come.

I agree that the name calling thing, "helmet headed...." was childish but remember you guys (as well as I) were 20+ years younger then. B)

True, you were there but you may not have been on the bus that was shouting out the windows.

I've heard this story from many different Bridgemen and all conclude that there was a lot of tension between the two corps, that would go on for a few years to come.

I agree that the name calling thing, "helmet headed...." was childish but remember you guys (as well as I) were 20+ years younger then. B)

So, what this tells me is, they, the Bridgemen, paint the entire corps with a broad brush when, in all possibility, this was confined to a singular (probably the drumline) bus. Which could have been the result of the rocks flying in thier direction.

I don't recall if that was at Mid-west or not but, I know it happened. Though I will acknowledge that, by chance, though I believe it small, that the rocks could have been the result of taunting by that "one" bus. Considering we had a bunch of mid-west farm boys (drummers excluded), that wasn't on their nature.

Lastly, though the Bmen may believe this tension went on for several "years", that is not correct. In fact, I believe the "order" came from on high in 78 to resolve the differences. I distinctly recall at one show, wish I could remember which possibly DCI North in 79, where the two corps were hanging out together after prelims. In fact, many of us wanted to exchange uniforms for the night show.

I think it is important to note that, in the "corps" there was very little vitriol directed toward the Bmen. I believe what there was could probably be attributed to what the Regiment felt as, to use a current pharase, a "lack of love" for our corps.

Let's be honest, everybody loved the Bmen. I can't say that about Regiment. Sure we had our fans, but we didn't have the mass appeal of the Bmen.

Rocketman - truth seeker

ampssuck

• 2 years later...
So, what this tells me is, they, the Bridgemen, paint the entire corps with a broad brush when, in all possibility, this was confined to a singular (probably the drumline) bus. Which could have been the result of the rocks flying in thier direction.

I don't recall if that was at Mid-west or not but, I know it happened. Though I will acknowledge that, by chance, though I believe it small, that the rocks could have been the result of taunting by that "one" bus. Considering we had a bunch of mid-west farm boys (drummers excluded), that wasn't on their nature.

Lastly, though the Bmen may believe this tension went on for several "years", that is not correct. In fact, I believe the "order" came from on high in 78 to resolve the differences. I distinctly recall at one show, wish I could remember which possibly DCI North in 79, where the two corps were hanging out together after prelims. In fact, many of us wanted to exchange uniforms for the night show.

I think it is important to note that, in the "corps" there was very little vitriol directed toward the Bmen. I believe what there was could probably be attributed to what the Regiment felt as, to use a current pharase, a "lack of love" for our corps.

Let's be honest, everybody loved the Bmen. I can't say that about Regiment. Sure we had our fans, but we didn't have the mass appeal of the Bmen.

Rocketman - truth seeker

ampssuck

Tension reached it's high point at finals in 1978. There were members of Bayonne who were running up tp Phantom's

busses banging on their windows as they pulled out of the parking. There was another guy (hornline) who threw a mini champagne

bottle which cracked a window. Unfortunately the actions of a few grouped the rest of us as A-holes.

When we got back to our housing there was almost a major fight between the youngins who instigated and the vets who were ###### that it occurred.

Yes 1979 DCI North the tension was broken when Phantom offered water to us after prelims. The two corps hung out for while and one of our guys Larry (can't remember last name) and another from Phantom came out from behind the bus with each others uniforms.

1979 Bridgemen had a big turnover so not many were around and remembered 77.

Why for make time for discuss yellow bugle and drum band contreversy?

In U.S. and A., much to see and enjoy!

Why not for make time for chase women with large brests instead?

Is nice!

Best is to enjoy hobbies like women wrestling and truck monster rallies.

God is bless America!

- Borat

Make click.

Borat_smile.jpg

Tension reached it's high point at finals in 1978. There were members of Bayonne who were running up tp Phantom's

busses banging on their windows as they pulled out of the parking. There was another guy (hornline) who threw a mini champagne

bottle which cracked a window. Unfortunately the actions of a few grouped the rest of us as A-holes.

When we got back to our housing there was almost a major fight between the youngins who instigated and the vets who were ###### that it occurred.

Yes 1979 DCI North the tension was broken when Phantom offered water to us after prelims. The two corps hung out for while and one of our guys Larry (can't remember last name) and another from Phantom came out from behind the bus with each others uniforms.

1979 Bridgemen had a big turnover so not many were around and remembered 77.

That's how I remember it, too, Jim!

That was a very unfortunate incident after 1978 finals, and both corps made every attempt in 79, and 80, to smooth things over. What transpired during those two years, (my last two with the junior corps version of the Bridgemen), was a friendly, and respectful relationship between the two corps. In addition to Larry, ( he played baritone) and the individual from Phantom, exchanging uniforms at one of the shows, both Brad, Phantom's DM, (sorry, his last name escapes me, also), and myself, exchanged our hat/helmet, with each other, and a photograph was also taken, and placed on the front page of Drum Corps World!

After 1978, I believe we maintained a very good relationship with Phantom, at least while I was there.

I also agree with the post that Tom Kowalak made, earlier in this thread, back in 2004. Tom is a charter member of St. Andrew's Bridgemen, and has been a major catalyst for the Bridgemen, througout our history from 1965 until the present!

The events of 1977 were horrible for the Bridgemen. Please understand that mistakes were made, but please don't make us out to be something evil! As Tom stated, we were a bunch of kids, and we suffered through a very PAINFUL experience, that I wouldn't wish upon anyone. As I'VE stated before, most of us didn't even have a CLUE as to what happened, our average age was about 16 or 17 yrs. old!!! We just wanted to compete, and have fun!

*TO ROCKETMAN and ALL PHANTOM REGIMENT MEMBERS, PAST & PRESENT:

On behalf of the entire Bridgemen Family, I would like to apologize for the very classless, and insensitive remarks that were posted on that since-retired Bridgemen History page. The article was written by someone that was only affiliated with the Bridgemen for a very short time, and this person allowed their own, bitter, vitriol to be presented in a very juvenile, and hateful manner. Once we realized our mistake, the article was removed.

I can assure you, as Jim Dugan, and Tom Kowalak have already stated, that the animosity between the two corps was rectified about 28 years ago, and the Bridgemen, and our members, have a great deal of respect and admiration for the Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps!

Wishing you much continued success!

Yours in drum corps spirit,

Jim Jordan

Bayonne Bridgemen

77, 78, 79, 80, 05, 06, 07

Guys ... Help me out. There are a couple of things I just don't understand here ...

and just to go one step further on that supposed "history page"

it was not and has never been sanctioned as a view of history by our organization.

It is simply one individual's opinion...

Which is why it can be found on your website on the "History of the Bridgemen" page? I found it (as of today) at:

http://www.bridgemen.com/corps_history_recall.htm

And, according to this thread, you've had it on your site now for somewhere around 3 years, but it's not sanctioned by the corps?

*TO ROCKETMAN and ALL PHANTOM REGIMENT MEMBERS, PAST & PRESENT:

On behalf of the entire Bridgemen Family, I would like to apologize for the very classless, and insensitive remarks that were posted on that since-retired Bridgemen History page. The article was written by someone that was only affiliated with the Bridgemen for a very short time, and this person allowed their own, bitter, vitriol to be presented in a very juvenile, and hateful manner. Once we realized our mistake, the article was removed.

That's a very concilliatory apology that I'm sure will be taken to heart by everyone who reads it ... Particularly the Regiment people who seemed to take offense at your corps' web site. I applaud your forthright attitude and willingness to take responsibility on behalf of your corps.

The part that I don't understand is that the Bridgemen have published this essay on the history portion of the corps' web site that was written by someone you say was a short-timer in the organization, sourced from a web site that doesn't seem to exist any more. At the same time it's been on what most people would believe is the main marketing and information outlet for The Bridgemen for at least three years. It is offered on the site as a representation of events in the Bridgemen's history throughout the years. Now, suddenly, you make an announcement on behalf of your entire organization, past and present, renouncing the piece as vitriolic, hateful, and juvenile, and not representative of the Bridgemen Organization's true history or values.

Surely, after all this time, you have to expect people to wonder about the motivation for, what on the surface looks like, an attempt to distance yourselves from views and opinions promoted by the Bridgemen Organization for this long a period in time. Especially since the item in question is still on your web site?

Again, it's all very confusing. Sorry if I misinterpreted any of this.

By the way and for what it's worth ... I found the ending of the essay kind of touching.

No it is not.... and a certain someone's head is gonna be rolling down Broadway and Astor Place in about 15 minutes when I have to ask why this "opinion" just keeps finding its way back to our website!

There is the history of DC that has been written by three distinguished members of our organization. That is the story that "we" choose to believe. Unfortunately they keep being melded together.

I assure you this will be taken care of TODAY