What's Your Favorite Horn Lick?

FarmerFred

At the moment, Bluecoats this year when they come to the front in that tight little block. Awesome! Best brass moment this year.

well for me it's boston crusaders solo feature off the line 1969 --off the line NY KINGSMEN (MALAQUANIA) 1967-off the line (MAN OF LA MANCHA) NY WARRIORS 1970- 1969 Blessed sacrament Golden Knights entire show 1974 Hawthorne Muchachos- and of course 1976 Blue Devils entire show. I have to say that there are to many other Corps to numerous for me to list. But to end it the 2008 Phantom mid range section is absolutly Phantastic :ph34r:

At the moment, Bluecoats this year when they come to the front in that tight little block. Awesome! Best brass moment this year.

well for me it's boston crusaders solo feature off the line 1969 --off the line NY KINGSMEN (MALAQUANIA) 1967-off the line (MAN OF LA MANCHA) NY WARRIORS 1970- 1969 Blessed sacrament Golden Knights entire show 1974 Hawthorne Muchachos- and of course 1976 Blue Devils entire show. I have to say that there are to many other Corps to numerous for me to list. But to end it the 2008 Phantom mid range section is absolutly Phantastic :ph34r:

Phantom's soloist is awesome

my personal fav.....

84 BD....that backfield solo....it's short, simple, but Awesome! i just love how it echoes off the back bleachers. Kudos to that soloist

The one at the end of Latin Implosion? Steve "Stymie" Leanane....he who accidentally had "upper lead soap" on his member jacket!

A sroty about how that backfield got put in. We were at a weekend rehearsal at Pleasant Hill HS (don't remember the time of year, but it was before the show season). Brass was in sectional for a bit and we played the ending...Stymie decided to fool around and play a bit of "One More Time, Chuck Corea" at the end....Wayne looks at him, cocks his head in thought.

"Yeah....let's keep that."

A great example of how the staff listened to the members sometimes...a good idea can come from anywhere...even a rank amateur. The horn visual in La Fiesta where we pointed at the soloists was my idea...one of the staff listened to it an they incorporated it.

2003 Madison Scouts. The trumpet/mello jazz small ensemble with the contras right up front was so ########.

Freddie ?? I don't know his last name! Before he played solos for the Guardsmen and then Madison, did an AMAZING job on the old Doc Severinson feature "Celebration Suite" with the Fox Valley Raiders!!!! late 70's.

00 cadets, you know what im talkin about...

and pretty much any scouts solo, especially the screamers. yea i know cheesy, but hey i play trumpet and are probably trying for them next year, and i know i cant hit that. so maybe its more envy?

While I am a bit bias, 2003, 2004 and 2006 Cabs had some sick licks through out the entire show. Key Poulan arranged some crazy mello parts. Very honored to have been part of those productions. And not to leave out just about anything the drumline has done since 2003 to present.

2003 - specifically the opening statement. Cabs 2003

2004 - Well pretty much the entire show! Cabs 2004

2006 - The opener was pretty incredible - Cabs 2006

The one at the end of Latin Implosion? Steve "Stymie" Leanane....he who accidentally had "upper lead soap" on his member jacket!

A sroty about how that backfield got put in. We were at a weekend rehearsal at Pleasant Hill HS (don't remember the time of year, but it was before the show season). Brass was in sectional for a bit and we played the ending...Stymie decided to fool around and play a bit of "One More Time, Chuck Corea" at the end....Wayne looks at him, cocks his head in thought.

"Yeah....let's keep that."

A great example of how the staff listened to the members sometimes...a good idea can come from anywhere...even a rank amateur. The horn visual in La Fiesta where we pointed at the soloists was my idea...one of the staff listened to it an they incorporated it.

I was responsible for many great ideas, too.

Many the time, we'd be on the practice field and our drill instructor, Ralph Pace and horn guy, Tony Yaklich, would be trying to figure out what to do at a certain point in the show. As they stood amidst us on the field, I would offer up my suggestion and then they would do the exact opposite. Problem solved!

I was happy to help.

Freddie ?? I don't know his last name! Before he played solos for the Guardsmen and then Madison, did an AMAZING job on the old Doc Severinson feature "Celebration Suite" with the Fox Valley Raiders!!!! late 70's.

:tongue:

FRED BELL!!! :grouphug:

Felt bad for the guy..left Guardsmen to go to Madison only to have his old corps knock them off in '79..

I remember they were the 1st corps to break 80 that year, but because they didn't have 4000 decibels in the horn book..they never got the scores a lot of us thought they deserved.

I thought "Celebration Suite" was just with the Guardsmen..but I see that BOTH corps did it with Fred..FVR in '77 and Guardsmen in '78..That's a bit different.

Pat