What's Your Favorite Horn Lick?

FarmerFred

Cadets '00: At the end of the playing-of-the-neighbors-horn part, the mellophone note at 10:22. Dear God, that's awesome.

Cavies '04: The mello trill at the end. Wow.

Phantom '08: The entire mello book. Phantastic.

Cadets '08: The last minute and a half, when the are in the "volcano form" in the front of the field and do the crazy runs and such...nice.

Cadets '00: At the end of the playing-of-the-neighbors-horn part, the mellophone note at 10:22. Dear God, that's awesome.

Cavies '04: The mello trill at the end. Wow.

Cadets '08: The last minute and a half, when the are in the "volcano form" in the front of the field and do the crazy runs and such...nice.

Agreed. The sustain right after the runs...Oh yes mellophones.

89 Phantom Regiment: ("Judges are you watching?!") to the end.

96 Phantom Regiment: I just love that show.

91 and 93 Star mello sections. (and I j***ed in my pants...)

2000 Cadets... everything. But especially the overhyped horn snap by that soprano at the end of the show. That will never get old for me! :worthy:

2004 BD pedal sustain. I love it!

plus for some more recent history: "The Boxer" Shout Chorus and 2007 Bluecoats contra/tuba book...pre-watered parts. (I always like to root for the home team) Phantom's "Spartacus" mello soloist, Crown's opening statement after Candide.

John Simpson, 1962 'Rhapsody In Blue'

OK.... I'll show my age

Many interesting replies to this topic. North, South, East, West.... Screaming Sops, Trumpets, Tuba Licks's..... Everone is going to have their favorites but, there is one which stands out in my mind. After some 49 years in Drum Corps, as one of the greatest's performances I have ever had the pleasure of hearing. Timeless ! Not to be duplicated or out done in some 47 years to date. John Simpson's ( BHOF / WDCHOF ) 1962 Solo rendition of 'Rhapsody In Blue' stands alone.

Let's not discuss his age at the time ( 20 ), Talent ( Sky Ryders, & USAF D&B Corps ), or the fact that the piece was played on a Getzen Single Valve G/D Baritone with a single slide. This performance was so amazing that John's Solo,

( not even a member of the NY Skyliners ) was included on the 1962 Skyliners 'Portrait In Brass' Fleetwood Album. I lost count of how many copies I wore out. I had studied Trumpet since age 5 but, became a Baritone player in 1963. That's 'Impact'.....

How about sop line from Geneeseo Knights 81/82 not sure which year tune was Russia Ludmilla?

OK.... I'll show my age

Many interesting replies to this topic. North, South, East, West.... Screaming Sops, Trumpets, Tuba Licks's..... Everone is going to have their favorites but, there is one which stands out in my mind. After some 49 years in Drum Corps, as one of the greatest's performances I have ever had the pleasure of hearing. Timeless ! Not to be duplicated or out done in some 47 years to date. John Simpson's ( BHOF / WDCHOF ) 1962 Solo rendition of 'Rhapsody In Blue' stands alone.

Let's not discuss his age at the time ( 20 ), Talent ( Sky Ryders, & USAF D&B Corps ), or the fact that the piece was played on a Getzen Single Valve G/D Baritone with a single slide. This performance was so amazing that John's Solo,

( not even a member of the NY Skyliners ) was included on the 1962 Skyliners 'Portrait In Brass' Fleetwood Album. I lost count of how many copies I wore out. I had studied Trumpet since age 5 but, became a Baritone player in 1963. That's 'Impact'.....

Now that you've opened the flood gate on a solo player to this topic, I've got to add that 5 years later in 1967 a kid (perhaps 16 years old at the time if that) named Ruben Ariola of the 1967 St. Joseph Patron Cadets hit the field with the lead Euphonium solo in Minnie the Moocher.

He is not yet a current member of either Hall of Fame (but heck, Dy Drietzer and Pepe Notaro didn't get inducted to the Bugler's Hall of Fame until 2007!)

You might have heard Ruben play the great solo in 1975 within Hy's adaptation of There's A Place For Us from Buddy Rich’s famously over the top West Side Story charts as a member of the Skyliners.

He's out there as an St. Rita's & Sky Alum and still kicking butt and taking names.

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

Now that you've opened the flood gate on a solo player to this topic, I've got to add that 5 years later in 1967 a kid (perhaps 16 years old at the time if that) named Ruben Ariola of the 1967 St. Joseph Patron Cadets hit the field with the lead Euphonium solo in Minnie the Moocher.

He is not yet a current member of either Hall of Fame (but heck, Dy Drietzer and Pepe Notaro didn't get inducted to the Bugler's Hall of Fame until 2007!)

You might have heard Ruben play the great solo in 1975 within Hy's adaptation of There's A Place For Us from Buddy Rich’s famously over the top West Side Story charts as a member of the Skyliners.

He's out there as an St. Rita's & Sky Alum and still kicking butt and taking names.

Puppet

Ruben's work in "Jim on the Move" wasn't too bad either.

OK.... I'll show my age

Dennis, I take it that's from the USAF Bolling Field recordings. Have a copy myself and great stuff the whole way thru. Anyone who wants to hear what could be done with horns that were not all valves should take a listen. Should give the younger set a bit more respect for DCs past. (Hint: Check out Franks Ds' "Off the Record".)

Coming from the Senior (IOW - before "All Age :smile: ) the first thing I thought of was 1980 RI Matadors with the fanfare of "Rocky". Fanfare was played by three sops playing into large megaphones which gave a unique pitch to the sound. The three worked up to doing triple tonguing runs which was real WTF for the day. You can even hear the crowd roar on the recording. Heard it live for the first time at DCA Prelims and my first thought was "Wow... in a few hours I can hear it again...".

Edit: Sop solo at end of "Elks Parade" doesn't matter if Sky or Cadets (but favor my Senior/All Age roots :worthy: ). Also heard mid 60s Sunrisers "Sing Sing Sing" intro from "Off the Record" and couldn't get it outta my head for days. :smile:

PS - Cool thread even if I haven't heard most of the shows ( I walked away from DC in 1992/1993 but partially came back 2003).

Edited by JimF-3rdBari