drum judge on dvd's

Jeff Ream

What's everyones take? I have only listened to 2 corps, but the guy pretty much called a spade a spade, was good at giving it up when it needed to be done, and giving everyone a fun tape that wasn't "tick tick tick"

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think that Alan did a pretty job on finals night.

• 3 weeks later...
I think he blew the BD quad solo.  Kinda fuzzy, a few rims, but he went bananas.

Otherwise, he called out some stuff I totally missed, which was enlightening.

B

agreed! :)

the snare solo was worse <**>

Edited by Gbassman5

i'm not a percussionist and I love listening to that guy while watchin the DVDs. It was also cool that since i'm not a percusionist, when you turn it on and he's in the drumline that soudns stands out more and I can really hear whats going on. I love it.

It just amazes me how things have changed! I can still remember running home from school in the late 70's hoping that the new albums had shown up that day in the mail! And then giving my dad a hard time because he wouldn't take the time to record them on cassette and me be worried that I would never be able to listen to the albums when I got older because they would be all scratched up. Now we are listening to the judges while we listen and watch that kind of quality. Unreal.

I got my DVD's today and after only one run through of the top 6 I realized a few things.

1) BD's bassline was nuts....the whole show was amazing from a bass drum standpoint.

2) Cavaliers had a very good tenor line. They had some really nice stuff going on.

3) I am now a believer that Cadets should have won drums. When I saw them head to head with SCV at Murfreesboro, SCV had them beat...but not by years end. Their pit was amazing. The snare line was playing alot more notes than I gave them credit for. Oh, and there is one snare roll that is so clean I about dropped my coke. I was very impressed.

4) It was nice to actually hear Phantom's percussion. When I saw this show live I can honestly say I didnt notice the line for the most part because of the absolutely stunning horn parts. I definitely enjoyed PR's new sound.

5) SCV was great. They had an amazingly well integrated book (as always) but what got me was the tenor line. They were playing some notes...more than recent years I think. Absolutley incredible cymbal line as always.

6) Boston's battery impressed the heck out of me. I saw them live and thought they were good...but I came away thinking more of them after watching the video. The judge was in perfect position for the 15 person snare line....great stuff there. I personally think they would have placed higher with a little bit more from the pit and more consistent heights toward the end of the show....still, wow, watch out for them in 2004.