They Have Drumline Parkinglot...

L1STEN2311

if there is someone out here who wants to start a hornlineparkinglot website, perhaps you could ask drumcorps international if he or she has to be worried about copyrights. I think it would just be good for drumcorps because you want to see something like hornline parking lot in real life because it's great! I think the biggest problem is finding someone (or more than one) who wants to create a website and has time to update a website once in a while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once a creative work is expressed in a tangible medium... it is copyrighted... the owners dont even have to register it. and since i am sure they right down their chord progressions, that would be considered expressed. It is copyrighted. Infringement only occurs when the owner of said copyright has a problem with what you are doing. so as long as they ok it... you are in the clear, which i am sure what drumline parking lot does.

I too would LOVE to see this happen

Oh and as far as visual basics... they would be considered choreography and therefor covered by copyrighted as well, you would need permission for them as well.

Just because something is performed in a public space, it doesn't mean you gain the right to infringe on their copyright. making a recording for sole personal use really isnt copyright, because you arent gaining anything... but this site probably would be gaining money... atleast to pay for the site costs... it would probably be infringing

Edited by SWEuph04

once a creative work is expressed in a tangible medium... it is copyrighted... the owners dont even have to register it. and since i am sure they right down their chord progressions, that would be considered expressed. It is copyrighted. Infringement only occurs when the owner of said copyright has a problem with what you are doing. so as long as they ok it... you are in the clear, which i am sure what drumline parking lot does.

I too would LOVE to see this happen

Oh and as far as visual basics... they would be considered choreography and therefor covered by copyrighted as well, you would need permission for them as well.

Just because something is performed in a public space, it doesn't mean you gain the right to infringe on their copyright. making a recording for sole personal use really isnt copyright, because you arent gaining anything... but this site probably would be gaining money... atleast to pay for the site costs... it would probably be infringing

I disagree, and I'd like to know where you got your information on intellectual property law (for my own curiosity). If what you're saying is true, then whoever owns the rights to Clarke, Arban and the like should cash in on the millions that corps owe them for every warm-up book they publish for their membership.

Also, you can re-create music (and other media) for educational purposes generally (band directors xerox charts for their members so the originals won't get trashed, all the nintendo "roms" on the internet are distributed under the guise of educational purposes). A disclaimer on the site saying that its material may only be used for educational purposes (so that brass players can learn what a good hornline practices and sounds like) should clear most legal hurdles.

Yeah, they should. but maybe they have a website for horns that's not called hornline parking lot. But being a horn I think it would be coo lto have a website for horn players. Maybe there 's a website for horns that's not called hornline parking lot.

For DLP, if I remember right, they had something to do with Vic Firth (the percussion manufacturer).

The problem I see as a drummer is that while a lot of horn warmups are fairly "standard", a lot of them aren't as well. For instance, I doubt you could make a case that hosting the Cavaliers '02 "All Things Bright and Beautiful" 60-second is *not* violating copyrights, but I bet you could get scale exercises to your heart's content.

In most cases, you'd have to contact the individual corps that you get them from and just ask.

(I'm hardly an expert on the matter, but that's how I see it, anyways...)

Mike

• 3 months later...