Biggest Downer

For me it had to be 1979 when our corps missed finals by a very low margin. Yeah, I know you've heard the same kind of story, but what make's ours unique is it is still being talked about.

It hurts when many corps in the competition had not beaten you all summer long only to beat you when it really counted!

Aaah! Now I've got to go take a pain pill!

I know that feeling really well, about how some corps you were beating all summer ended up taking the spot..

1985 hurt, but 1986 hurt worse, I believe the margin was closer in 1986 (2/10ths I believe). Plus, not to mention it was my age out year in Madison and then turning around and hearing your corps was folding.

That's as bumming as it gets. :(

Not to mention I was on tour with Memphis Blues in 1983 when we folded after DCI Birmingham. Man that was a bum. :( :(

Oh and I won't forget the main bum of all..not being able to march the 1994 alumni show with the 27th Lancers, but at least my hubby and I both have that in common. So we both sit there and cry when we watch it...:(

And I try to think what Terry told us this past summer, that they dedicated that show to all the Lancers that weren't able to be there. And that makes me smile. :)

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that feeling really well, about how some corps you were beating all summer ended up taking the spot..

1985 hurt, but 1986 hurt worse, I believe the margin was closer in 1986 (2/10ths I believe). Plus, not to mention it was my age out year in Madison and then turning around and hearing your corps was folding.

That's as bumming as it gets. :(

Not to mention I was on tour with Memphis Blues in 1983 when we folded after DCI Birmingham. Man that was a bum. :( :(

Oh and I won't forget the main bum of all..not being able to march the 1994 alumni show with the 27th Lancers, but at least my hubby and I both have that in common. So we both sit there and cry when we watch it...:(

And I try to think what Terry told us this past summer, that they dedicated that show to all the Lancers that weren't able to be there. And that makes me smile. :)

I remember when I marched Anaheim Kingsmen in 77. We missed Finals by a very slim margin as well....the up and coming Garfield Cadets got the Finals spot that night....We had worked extremely hard that year and had a few drill changes for second tour....it was a bitter sweet year. There was a change of leadership as well for second tour....these changes could have crippled any other corps, but we recovered....just not enough to make Finals....the show at Mile high was great though, and it was great to see another California corps get the glory!

I remember when I marched Anaheim Kingsmen in 77. We missed Finals by a very slim margin as well....the up and coming Garfield Cadets got the Finals spot that night....We had worked extremely hard that year and had a few drill changes for second tour....it was a bitter sweet year. There was a change of leadership as well for second tour....these changes could have crippled any other corps, but we recovered....just not enough to make Finals....the show at Mile high was great though, and it was great to see another California corps get the glory!

I remember that....we came in like 9th in drums, I think 10th in horns....but failed miserably in MM....wasn't there a tie for 12th?

Same thing with us too, except we had changed a lot of our drill second tour in 85, if we just would've kept what we had and worked on it, maybe...but also in 85 we didn't have a lot of staff, we basically taught ourselves alot of the tour. But in 86 we had some changes in the drill too but we were used to that, I remember we changed endings of songs up to the week of semifinals. Then going after Blue Devils in semifinals didn't help much either. I don't remember how that happened? :sshh:

Also for me, I would've accepted it better had those bottom corps beaten us during tour, but they didn't (in 86), so that was puzzling to me. :sshh: Oh well what can you do about it? :)

Edited by Lancerlady

I remember that....we came in like 9th in drums, I think 10th in horns....but failed miserably in MM....wasn't there a tie for 12th?

I really don't remember....what I do remember was that it had something to do with the Bridgemen DQ....that kind of screwed the numbers up a bit....that was a messy year for scoring....the changes we made for for second tour put us in a position to make finals....some of the GE judges suggested the changes and after they were implemented it started to reflect in our scoring....I truely believed we would make finals after our prelim performance.....SHOULDA, WOULDA, COULDA....! B)

Same thing with us too, except we had changed a lot of our drill second tour in 85, if we just would've kept what we had and worked on it, maybe...but also in 85 we didn't have a lot of staff, we basically taught ourselves alot of the tour. But in 86 we had some changes in the drill too but we were used to that, I remember we changed endings of songs up to the week of semifinals. Then going after Blue Devils in semifinals didn't help much either. I don't remember how that happened? :sshh:

Also for me, I would've accepted it better had those bottom corps beaten us during tour, but they didn't (in 86), so that was puzzling to me. :sshh: Oh well what can you do about it? :)

Yeah....these types of years were bitter sweet....ups and downs all year long....when the show would click it would send us through the roof and we would be motivated to no end....our winning ways began @ DCI West in Boise, ID that year......we did great at that show and that pumped us up all the way to DCI prelims....that was the same show that SCV beat BD....I may be wrong....but anyway, there is nothing like struggling with a corps and working hard to move on up....winning that way is all the more sweet IMO

Edited by felixh

There was; here's the 1977 prelims standings from corpsreps.com (I assume they have Bridgemen listed first because of the disqualification issue):

3 Bridgemen 90.000

1 Blue Devils 91.050

2 Phantom Regiment 90.700

4 Santa Clara Vanguard 89.850

5 27th Lancers 88.650

6 Madison Scouts 86.650

7 Blue Stars 85.850

8 Cavaliers 85.450

9 Seneca Optimists 85.000

10 Crossmen 84.850

11 Freelancers 84.500

12 Garfield Cadets 84.450

12 Kilties 84.450

14 Kingsmen 83.600

15 Oakland Crusaders 82.900

16 Guardsmen 82.800

17 Boston Crusaders 81.150

18 North Star 80.600

19 Squires 79.250

20 Troopers 78.800

21 Royal Crusaders 78.550

22 Argonauts 78.500

23 Spirit of Atlanta 76.350

24 Wausau Story 74.350

25 Velvet Knights 74.250

26 Colts 73.100

27 Marquis 72.600

28 Northstars 70.900

29 Fox Valley Raiders 70.300

30 Emerald Knights 70.150

31 Gauchos 68.550

32 Seattle Imperials 67.250

33 General Butler Vagabonds 66.850

34 Pioneer 65.950

35 Bluecoats 65.500

36 Saints 65.250

37 Silver Sabres 63.950

38 San Jose Raiders 63.600

39 Geneseo Knights 60.000

40 Black Knights 59.700

41 Blue Knights 57.900

42 Argonne Rebels 56.550

43 St. Francis Xavier Sancians 55.950

44 Sword Excalibur 53.250

45 Seattle Cascades 52.300

Edited by byline

Keith, do you remember some of the names of people that came to us?

Just wondering...maybe I thought they were from some where else, or maybe I turned 45 last month and I'm kind of old.... :P

Sorry I took so long to respond.......Colleen Grapes was her name, in the rifle line.