Biggest Downer

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You turned 45 last month? Congratulations, LancerFi! Gawd, you're such a young thang compared to my 56. But then, I'm a kid compared to some of the oldies around here.

RON HOUSLEY

ffernbus3, we're still the same era really! I was very surprised when someone called me a baby boomer about 5 years ago. I thought that ended in the 50's, maybe 57. Everywhere I looked it said it ends in either 1963 or 1964....very surprising indeed! I consider my 2 sisters who are 11 and 7 years older than me to be the true WWII boomers!

Anyway, my husband is older than you!! :P You're not old!!!!

Someone I marched with in both the Reveries and 2-7 lost a sibling in a car accident while out of state at a show.

I cannot elaborate more than that. If that person is ever on here and would like to talk about it, it would be fine, but I don't feel it's my place except to say that a car came over a small hill but it was a fast moving street/highway. One of the saddest parts is that other members were there as was the Dad, the Dad is the part that gets me.....he was there walking with the members. Both parents were on that mini-tour....

R.I.P N....

I've got a video of 82 Valley Fever at the BDB show in Pleasant Hill. The corps looked HUGE and pretty killer with those cadet unis. I was amazed to see the corps using marching tymps that year, too.

I've also got a video of the 82 Valley Fever at Precision West. Big difference from 82 to 83.

I had two significant "big downers while marching"...and they were both in 1986 with VK.

Don't know EXACTLY what happened, but there was a disagreement between a few of the staff members and our director about something "behind the scenes" that was or was not being taken care of in a timely manner (and if I say it was the lack of air conditioning on the staff bus, I'd probably be right...right?). I seem to remember we lost some staff members who decided that just before tour to "quit". That was EXTREMELY disappointing, but I know that there was a line in the sand that season with some of these staff members, and management crossed it, and they stuck to their guns and quit. Unfortunately, it sort of rocked my boat and the corps' boat as well. Squeaked into finals that year--as a gift I'm sure.

Second downer of the season and my career--our finals performance in 1986. As I was conducting, I couldn't believe the wrong notes coming from our pit, and some of the dumbest marching things I'd ever seen. I was young and immature at the time, and you could see in my conducting that I was NOT a happy camper at all. VERY frustrating.

There is a third downer, but it WASN'T while marching. I've told this story before on DCP and RAMD. But I was going to a staff meeting for a band I was writing for, and on this summer day I got into the neighborhood of the staff member about 30 mins early. So, since I was in the area, I just thought I'd go get a quick bite to eat and see the old VK bingo hall and Knott and Ball. I came across probably one of the saddest sights in all my ears. There was a wrecking ball and tractors tearing down the strip mall where the hall was, with the big bowling alley next door. There was literally a big tractor RIGHT in the middle of the bingo hall ripping it apart. I couldn't believe my eyes. Yes, I knew VK had folded, but it was still a heart-wrenching sight to see a place you sort of "grew up in" being razed. It sucked. And keeping the tears from flowing was quite hard to do.

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

I've got a video of 82 Valley Fever at the BDB show in Pleasant Hill. The corps looked HUGE and pretty killer with those cadet unis. I was amazed to see the corps using marching tymps that year, too.

I've also got a video of the 82 Valley Fever at Precision West. Big difference from 82 to 83.

Cool beans, Rob! <Oh man....now I'm doing it! :P >

Please share! My younger brother and I marched together both of those years. He'd love to see it too.

If memory serves, John is a big dude!

Anyway, I have lots of respect for what he was able to accomplish with us that year, too bad it didn't come to fruition. What do you guys do now?

Sorry for the delay in answering. Yes, I meant Gary Meeghan. Although I was taught by Jack Meehan in 78. Let me tell you what it was like to have a guy like Gary working with us east coasters. Culture shock to say the least.

Anyway, John has gotten a bit smaller these days. But he's still got the fire in the belly. I wouldn't mess with him. We both did 94 in Foxboro with 2-7. In fact, if you've seen the video, John is caught giving one of those motivational speeches. Something about whipping the **** out of the hand flags during drum solo. A classic John Bodie moment. I was John's protege during my time with 2-7. To the point that by my 3rd year (1980) I was helping teach certain segments of the drill while he worked on some difficult passages with another section. He was always good at finding and then pushing people's buttons. He found mine quickly and pushed them often.

I have many, many JB stories but I don't want to get off topic. I know he still yens for those days with VF ("The Feev" as we affectionately called them). If we weren't in so much trouble staff wise ourselves, who knows, he may still be out there (probably teaching BD now).

ffernbus3, we're still the same era really! I was very surprised when someone called me a baby boomer about 5 years ago. I thought that ended in the 50's, maybe 57. Everywhere I looked it said it ends in either 1963 or 1964....very surprising indeed!

According to Wikipedia, the "baby boomer" generation runs between 1946 to 1964. So I'm a baby boomer, but my husband (born in '67) is not. B)

Back to the original topic, I guess I would say that the biggest bummer for me was my first year, '78, watching a season that had started with such excitement trail off into competitive obscurity. I got really sick and tired of people saying, whenever I mentioned the years I marched Oakland, "Oh, the down years!" :(

Biggest downer after marching was finding out that a friend of mine from university, who also marched corps, had died. (Ryan, you know who I'm talking about.) He died on Dec. 12, 1990 . . . and I still miss him. :(