Remember When....

The full retreat may be the most visually impressive moment of the evening, and if the corps play together, it's a real treat.

It's the pit (and now sound) equipment that takes the longest to load out, but they're excused from the finale.

Bring back retreat. Surely, the audience deserves at least that much.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The full retreat may be the most visually impressive moment of the evening, and if the corps play together, it's a real treat.

It's the pit (and now sound) equipment that takes the longest to load out, but they're excused from the finale.

Frank,

I'd really be curious to know if the rationale posited for the rule was ever fulfilled in the reality of the season. I know drivers who posted here were in favor of it before the season, but I wonder if the reality of the season-long experience made them happy with the rule.

I agree, I really miss the full corps retreat.

5. It took 4 strappin' guys to play timpani and timpani had cranks?

The smallest girl in our line played timpani. Sandy might have weighed 90 lbs, never complained, and made us all ashamed to ask for water.

5. It took 4 strappin' guys to play timpani and timpani had cranks?

And sometimes the timpani cranks were disconnected, so it only looked like the players were changing pitches. I judged percussion in the Garden State Circuit late 70's-80'ish, and it happened more than once! Old time judges who were not really listening to the pitches would give the line demand credit for changing pitches by watching the players crank. That was the rationale for disconnecting the cranks, as one instructor told me after I caught him out. :)

And sometimes the timpani cranks were disconnected, so it only looked like the players were changing pitches. I judged percussion in the Garden State Circuit late 70's-80'ish, and it happened more than once! Old time judges who were not really listening to the pitches would give the line demand credit for changing pitches by watching the players crank. That was the rationale for disconnecting the cranks, as one instructor told me after I caught him out. :)

hahahahaha good story.

IMO only Truman Crawford could come close to topping Mr. Jones, or Mr. Royer. Col. Crawford worked directly with approx. 100 corps in his lifetime, and had a lasting impact on each of them.

On a side, I met Gail Royer face to face in 1978, and was awed to be in his presence. When I told him as much, he said to me, with genuine modesty, " I'm just an average guy who loves his drum corps."

They just don't make 'em like that anymore..... ^_^

Agreed, Royer was a one of a kind.

Yeah, I thought that narrow wall in back looked familiar. The West Allis track was torn down about a year ago: another historic drum corps venue bites the dust. Although it was the sardine can show, it was a big-time show in its hey day in the 60s to early 70s.

Are you sure, Dan? Found this link on the Wisconsin State Fair website regarding "The Milwaukee Mile". looks like they have a full season of racing planned.

http://www.milwaukeemile.com./

Garry

Yes, I believe it's '73 during "Young Persons Guide".

Hmmm, wonder when the last show was there. Anyone know?

Maggie,

I'm not absolutely positive, but from my recollection the last "major" show on that track was 1973--it was just after DCI in Whitewater that year. The top 5-6 DCI finalists were there, and, of course, you guys won West Allis. In my years in Scouts, I don't recall performing there after 1973. Anyone else want to chime in?

We were there in '76, Guerno. '77, too, if I recall.

Ken Kile

Contra 76-77