Valve Oil / Slide Grease

euph4life

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The clear is for tight valves.The red is for really fast valves or valves that are worn in good.Hope this helps.

More information here.

http://www.aminortuneup.com/lubricants.htm

Professional quality horns have valves which are carefully honed to more perfectly match their valve casings. They are generally lapped by hand using a procedure which yields a much smaller gap between the piston surface and the valve casing. This, in turn, results in a tighter fitting valve. There are significant benefits to this approach, but some precision valves are so tight that, without a special valve oil, the valves tend to seize in the casing after a short playing time. In other words, very small changes are exaggerated when playing a professional quality horn. Musicians who make their living with their horn require an oil that not only is exceedingly fast and smooth, but also an oil that must not slow down during their performance. To meet the challenge, the paradox of two competing properties: high speed and endurance, had to be solved. In 1991, MusiChem embarked on a new research program based on 20 years experience, laboratory testing of numerous candidate components, and intensive field testing by more than 50 world class musicians working in all kinds of playing conditions.

The oil that resulted from this unparalleled effort employs synthetic and non-synthetic components, hence the name PRO-OIL HYBRID was chosen. The current formula (141-A7) is the first in a generation of maximum performance piston valve oils. This colorless and odorless oil does not contain kerosene, silicone, or Teflon, and therefore will not cause a build up. It is sold in a protective clear package, and contains important information about cleaning the valves and valve casings prior to the first application of HYBRID. When it comes to professional quality hyper-tight piston valves, no other valve oil compares to PRO-OIL HYBRID (141-A7). PRO-OIL HYBRID is guaranteed to be the fastest, longest lasting piston valve oil in the world or your money back. No other company can or does make that claim.

PRO-OIL RED (2 oz)

$4.00

(8 oz- $8.00)

Most production horns, generally have valve/casing clearances with wider tolerances than more expensive hand crafted professional horns. The demands on these pistons valves are less severe than for tighter fitting professional horns, and PRO-OIL RED formula is perfect for these horns. This oil has a low viscosity (hence it is fast), but it also has a relatively low evaporation rate (hence it lasts a long time).

The original formula (introduced in 1972) had a cinnamon fragrance. Two changes were made in the past few years: it is now odorless because the fragrance was removed, and the lasting quality of the oil was improved by incorporating some ideas discovered during research on Hybrid. Like all other MusiChem products, this formula does not contain kerosene, silicone or toxic components. It is equally effective on both nickel plated valves and Monel valves. With the singular exception of our HYBRID Formula valve oil, PRO-OIL Red is faster and lasts longer than any other piston valve oil on the market.

Edited by camel lips

BTW

Chris Comer at A minor Tune up is one of the nicest, most knowledgeable person I have come to meet in this industry.I would recommend him for all of your repair needs and concerns.

You can contact him at his email address.

aminortuneup@yahoo.com

he also post's on this oard from time to time.

I just got a bottle of the Hybrid Oil, and next week I'm going to take my horn home and give it a bath and try the oil. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Let us know what you think.

I was a firm buyer of Al Cass, and do buy it when I can not find my favorite brand: Alysyn. I got it for about a buck because I worked at a music repair store. I rarely have to oil my valves, maybe once every two or three months. I am a looking at it right now and on the back it says:

USE SPARINGLY

(only use a few drops)

Manufactured by:

Aerospace Lubricants, Inc

Columbus Oh.

I dont know if they make it anymore, but its my fav.

I did use blue juice, but my valves got a bit stickier. It could have been because I didnt wash my valves inbetween the switch over from Al Cass to Blue Juice (or Pro-Oil)

I was a firm buyer of Al Cass, and do buy it when I can not find my favorite brand: Alysyn. I got it for about a buck because I worked at a music repair store. I rarely have to oil my valves, maybe once every two or three months. I am a looking at it right now and on the back it says:

USE SPARINGLY

(only use a few drops)

Manufactured by:

Aerospace Lubricants, Inc

Columbus Oh.

I don't know if they make it anymore, but its my fav.

I did use blue juice, but my valves got a bit stickier. It could have been because I didn't wash my valves in between the switch over from Al Cass to Blue Juice (or Pro-Oil)

I don't know how to say this without it coming out wrong.I consider anyone on this board to be a member of my family.

BUT!

I don't ever want to buy a instrument from you.Oil should be applied to your valves at each session.

WHY?

First off oils tend to break down any loose particles that may be in the horn.Also Oil tends to get gummy.Then there is the heat factor that valves produce from being repeatedly pushed up and down.Heat breaks down oil faster than anything.

Oil also mixes with your saliva and the natural condensation that your horn builds up internally.Oil and water do not mix well together.IT is important before each session to wipe down your valves with a rag (preferably cheese cloth) and oil them.Even better to do it at the end of a session so all of the gunk that built up during a session gets out of the horn.

Hope this did not come off as something offensive.Just educational.

I agree with you Ed that you should oil your valves often...when I used regular natural valve oils, i'd always wipe down and re-oil the valves at least every week, even when they were fine. However, I've been using the AliSyn for a week or so, and the impression that I've gotten from other people who use it (my teacher included) is that the oil is very different than most valve oils, and you should only really reapply every few weeks because it is so thick and stays on for so long.

And mrshowfan, is your name in reference to Mr. Show with Bob and David?

Me and my family are obsessed with that show....the DVDs are like the Bible to us.

Ryan Beucke

Beucke47@potsdam.edu

Ed. Good words of advice. I think when I used Al Cass, I did oil my valves every time or every other time I played the horn. When I use Alisyn, they never feel like they need oil. But then again, I dont play my horn as often. And I wash the horn out every 3 or 4 months.

So I will agree with you on that. Better safe than sorry when it comes to oiling your valves.

And yes, my screen name is in reference to the show, Mr. Show