Valve Oil / Slide Grease

euph4life

i hate those freakin valves. the third one always stuck during the ballad and made me sound like a dying cow. i remeber once i actually during the show had to grip the third valve and pull it up. thing is i always cleaned that freakin baritone inside out. you could lick that thing. you would probably die because of the vavle oil but you really could lick it if there wasnt any valve oil and i swear it wouldnt taste like anything. i dunno whats the big deal about yamaha baritones. they sound good. thats about it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with Yamahorns are that at first when you buy them, they are a pain(trust me, I know). But once you break in the valves, its smothe sailing, as long as you maintain them at least twice a week. At least they are lighter than the Dynastys.

Yea, i played on a Yamaha marching bari in H.S., and my second valve was like yours Miar. I even took it in to get professionally cleaned, and it still was sticking. It would get 3/4 of the way down just fine, then jam hella fast. I would have to pull it up as well...big pain in the ###. And then the braces supporting the horn were coming off. I could take two of them out and put them back in as i pleased. And it was a pretty old horn, so i think it got over broken in =)

Back at 'Coats, we used some stuff called Alisyn Synthetic Valve oil... that stuff was AWESOME!! do they even still make it?

Is anyone else bothered by the comments like "Put it in the leadpipe and blow to get it on the valves."??? I personally can't stand it when I see people turn the horn upside down and put the oil in the bottom of the valve. Take the friggin valve out and put it on the outside of the valve. If you put it in the hole on the bottom, most of it collects on the bottom of the valve and doesn't get to the valve walls. Sheesh.

Sorry... it's a pet peeve of mine :D

Al Cass..

Yeah, definitely the best stuff.. Yeah Massachusetts!

Back at 'Coats, we used some stuff called Alisyn Synthetic Valve oil... that stuff was AWESOME!! do they even still make it?

I've known people who swore by the stuff, but I can't stand it. I personaly don't think it's worth the $5 for a 1/4 ounce. Not sure if they make it anymore.

Can't stand Al Cass either, but will settle for it if I'm out of juice. :P