Valve Oil / Slide Grease

euph4life

I go with Fast Al Cass... works great and is pretty cheap also.

my biggest tip though is NEVER get water based valve oil... during those hot summer days it will dry up within minutes.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you Ed that you should oil your valves often...when I used regular natural valve oils, i'd always wipe down and re-oil the valves at least every week, even when they were fine. However, I've been using the AliSyn for a week or so, and the impression that I've gotten from other people who use it (my teacher included) is that the oil is very different than most valve oils, and you should only really reapply every few weeks because it is so thick and stays on for so long.

And mrshowfan, is your name in reference to Mr. Show with Bob and David?

Me and my family are obsessed with that show....the DVDs are like the Bible to us.

Ryan Beucke

Beucke47@potsdam.edu

do you know where I can find some of this???

Ryan Beucke

Beucke47@potsdam.edu

do you know where I can find some of this???

This place appears to have some Alisyn oil:

http://www.hamilton-musical-repairs.com/Brass.php

Or you could just do a google search.

Edited by mrshowfan

Heres something that I came across that seems like usefull info

http://trumpet.dana.edu/misc/voil.html

I like Al Cass however BiNak seems to work the best in hot and cold weather. Clean valves before applying any oil and you shoudn'y have any problems.

I prefer Crisco and Wesson. Cooking spray works great, too. Sometimes.

...but only in a frying pan.

You can get the AliSyn from Woodwind and Brasswind, it's a little pricey for a tiny .6 OZ bottle, but it will seriously last you for years. It isn't the fastest oil, as you can see from that lnk that was posted, it's very thick...but I didn't find it to affect my playing.

I applied the Pro Oil Hybrid, and I've been using it for the past week...so far, it's the best valve oil I've ever used! It stays on much longer than Al Cass or any of the other common valve oils, and it's very fast. It basically has a lot of the benefits of the AliSyn oil, except it's faster and it's compatible with other natural oils, which is good in the event that you run out of oil or lose your bottle on a gig because you can just use whatever someone else has without gunking up the valves. I'm deffinitly going to stick with the Pro Oil, and I might order one of those huge bottles just so that I always have enough. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Ryan Beucke

Beucke47@potsdam.edu

Just a question... This may be dumb... but someone mentioned it. What is RAMD?

Isn't it memory for your computer? I think it's called DRAM.

It's a yahoo group with characters. Much like DCP, but without moderation or organization. Hard as #### to follow, also.