Valve Oil / Slide Grease

euph4life

If you really want some slide grease that is the slickest stuff known to man try out some Kleen Bore TW25b.

This a product marketed to owners of high quality firearms but works equally well on Trumpet and Bugle slides.

You can get some here

http://www.shootersoutlet.com/eshop/catalog/69.htm

Edited by camel lips

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Vaseline Petroleum Jelly for slides........been using it for almost 50 years.

It's cheap........and it work's. Buy one jar for slides.......and another for the other......... b**bs

Never used Blue Juice but heard good things about it.

I used to use whatever generic bottle of stuff I could get, but now I only use Al Cass. It's always worked for me, no complaints here.

I agree though that you need to clean your horn every once in awhile (not right before a performance!)

For slide grease, I just use Selmer. That's what the local shop had. I usually add a drop of valve oil to the first and third valve slides as well, so they move much more freely.

I've used a few different things but I always end up coming back to good old Al Cass. It's cheap, it works, and it's available everywhere. If you keep your valves clean and don't mix oils it really doesn't matter what you use in the long run, anyway.

Hey, I just read this thread on sunday, and read what Pittman said, and then monday, I was practicing in a room, and there on the piano was a very old bottle of AliSyn oil. It looked like it was at least 10 years old, because the oil was pretty yellow, but taking it to be a sign of fate(I have a 1 year old Yamaha YEP642-S with tight valves and I've been pretty unhappy with my oil choices so far), I immediatly cleaned my pistons and valve casings that night and tried it, applying only a few drops to the bottom of the pistons and then working it in. So far, I've had the most consistant valve action ever on that horn, especially on my somewhat problematic 2nd valve. I talked to my teacher, and he said he also used to use AliSyn for the summer when his pistons got swollen up, and condoned, so I just ordered a bottle of it from WWBW. So to answer your question, yes they do still make it, and yeah, I think it's awesome too. A little pricey for such a small bottle, but considering how long it lasts and how little you use, I think it'll last for a long time (####, this bottle looked like it was from the 80's, and it was still 1/3 full).

For really tight fitting valves I suggest you take a good hard look at Pro Oil.

Its a synthetic blended oil and has made a big difference in the way my new Kanstul feels.