Valve Oil / Slide Grease

euph4life

Alright, this might seem trivial, but I am curious about this now....Blue Juice, Fat Cat, or what?? I have a bottle of both, and i am using Fat Cat, and Fat Cat slide grease. Im not sure how well they will work out though ( i just finished cleaning my horn and putting it on for the first time). I had the thought of asking you all. If you know of any good oils/greases, let me know please. Thanks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More Importantly, make sure that you clean your valves and slides often. Sometimes no matter what kind of oil/grease you use on them they will still stick. Keeping them clean is equally as important if not more important then what you are using to lube them up with.

blue juice blue juice blue juice blue juice. do i need to say it again? ok blue juice. that is the best stuff ever. keeps the casings from getting so dirty. but yeah follow the rules for oiling valves. take em out wipe off and juice to your hearts content. dont be lazy and shove it into the little hole in the bottom.

it smells good. it smells really good. my valves always smell like blue juice and they always will until i stop using the horn.

as for the grease, i dont think it matters all as long as it is done often enough. all of them work pretty well. even the generic ones.

BLUE JUICE :)

Edited by miar

Blue Juice will never touch my horn.

Too much gunk in the works.

Al Cass IMO is the best. Its really quick, and allows for good protection of the horn. I use it all the time, just squirt some on the valves, then squirt a bit down the lead pipe and blow through the horn, it greases everything protecting it from Red Rot and stuff like that. I guarantee if you do this, you will never have troubles w/ your horn again.

Keeping them clean is equally as important if not more important then what you are using to lube them up with.

I keep my horn clean, which is why i said this is almost trivial...just for protection for the innards of the tubing, and if any make the valves move faster (more slippery) also how long they last.

then squirt a bit down the lead pipe and blow through the horn

I never thought of that. Ill try.

Does anyone have any comments on Fat Cat though? I'm just curious.

Edited by euph4life

Frank Ponzo had a post on RAMD a while back on what he uses. I tried it with excellent results. After cleaning the horn apply a small amount of 3in1 oil to the bottom quarter of the valves, re-insert and work the oil in. Remove the valves and add Al Cass in the usual manner.

I've been using a Getzen Melli for the last 10 years and have never had valve response like I do now. Frank says he's been doing this for the last twenty years.

You might try it. :music:

My personal favorite is Blue Juice. Miar probally remembers how stuburn those Yamaha's could be during marching season. Blue juice is proven to be better than your local brands. As for Fat Cat, Ive never even heard of that.