1980 DCI Finals

Unfortunately, the 1981 Whitewater show on the Legacy DVD was not a great show for 2-7, execution-wise. I DO agree that the 1981 hornline was the best the corps ever had. I suspect that "Danny Boy" was brought back for finals after a season of "Spitfire" being unappreciated at critiques (just speculatin', folks). Any '81 Lancers out there that can shed some light?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the tape of the show when they still used "Spitfire" in the show. I think cause in 81 Montreal didn't do the finals. So I guess we have the show from Whitewater.

I'd have to check, but isn't "Spitfire" on the '81 Allentown video? IIRC, the rifle line wore the same uni as the flag line in Allentown.

Aaaah....I'm getting old and can't remember a thing! :P

"Spitfire" is indeed on the Allentown video. Excellent lineup including Crossmen, Defenders, Northstar, Boston, Skyryders, Spirit, Cavaliers.....Madison, 27th, Garfield, Bridgemen....et all

"Danny Boy" was brought back for that exact reason....Nobody would/could warm up to "Spitfire" after all the years of Danny Boy and Whitewater was an abysmal performance so the decision was made after that to try and generate some GE and excitement.

Edited by GMichael1230

Unfortunately, the 1981 Whitewater show on the Legacy DVD was not a great show for 2-7, execution-wise. I DO agree that the 1981 hornline was the best the corps ever had. I suspect that "Danny Boy" was brought back for finals after a season of "Spitfire" being unappreciated at critiques (just speculatin', folks). Any '81 Lancers out there that can shed some light?

Maybe, but it was still incredible to me. You are right about the speculation of why "Spitfire" was left out. It was about all those critiques' I asked George B. about it one time. Even though I wasn't an 81 Lancer, the horn line that year, was my favorite.

Edited by Lancerlady

I have both Whitewater and Allentown, and I have to say that I had forgotten that Allentown was so early in the season. It looks a lot closer to Finals than the July date ~G~ mentioned. I thought it was like a week or two prior to finals. Not bad for what was then not even the middle of the season!

But, I was talking about Allentown 80, not 81...I'd like to see the difference between the outrageous and the flat. The win versus the loss. Yes, we were exhausted in Birmingham, etc. but I had 2 great shows each night...however something was certainly not as exciting about the later. 1979s many ovations were more than we got at 80 finals, and I guess that tells a lot!

Lancerfi:

Whether or not anyone from our guard will admit it, I know the guard they always felt they wanted to be judged against was 27th. They were times when they joked about SCV's guard, but there was never anything but respect for you and your guard mates.

I also remember our two brass lines warming up together in Alton in 77 and your corps giving our corps a "talking" Doris. Good times!

Rocketman

ampssuck

Wow - BD Legend - right at my heart. Funny how time heals all wounds. As an instructor for 27th in 1980 - I hated you. I had to hate you in order to fire up my troops. I had to hate you and your evil empire to motivate my kids and to give them the confidence they needed to get over the hump. Both corps had kids that could perform but in the end, mine needed confidence - which BD and SCV has always exuded.

I'd give you a big hug now brother.

It was often said in our "inner circle" that if we had won, it might have changed the landscape of drum corps for years. Afterall - it was a "west" dominated culture - save Madison in 75. 27th was strong, Bridgemen, Spirit, Cadets were lurking, many other eastern corps were gaining strength. 27th was able to infuse corps directros with the hope and faith that "you could reach the mountain" with enough hard work.

We knew the deal all year long. We would take you in drums, you'd win horns - we'd win GE and Guard. And if we marched well - we'd take M&M. It wasn't that we needed to win these captions outright - we simply had to have bigger spreads to lessen the imapct of your monster hornline.

Truthfully, we did loose. We did not play to win, we played it safe. Visually, we were also devastated by our Visual Analysis mark, which had dropped from Allentown to Finals.

Lancerfi:

Whether or not anyone from our guard will admit it, I know the guard they always felt they wanted to be judged against was 27th. They were times when they joked about SCV's guard, but there was never anything but respect for you and your guard mates.

I also remember our two brass lines warming up together in Alton in 77 and your corps giving our corps a "talking" Doris. Good times!

Rocketman

ampssuck

Thanks Rocketman:

Rocketman - nice guy

(do you get the "Rocketman - nice guy? :P you usually say how you're feeling, or whatever, so I did it for you this time??) I know if it's funny I shouldn't have to explain it right? :(

What's a "Doris", should I know this? :huh::huh::huh:

I believe we felt the same about Phantom of course, along with the all male guards. I believe we felt we should be as good as or better than...it's just an opinion, and a very biased one at that. The Phantom guard was so hard core, and I loved hard core, as well as making very difficult things look so easy. B)

And I have to tell you, I have more respect for your all female guard now. There is just something about still having all females that just reminds me of the old days! However I respect all guards mixed or not, just a little more for all the same.

I know, discrimination, but before you say anything, that's how it was back in the day. They weren't allowed in 2-7, and we didn't feel that we needed to have them for their upper body strength.

I did find it very enjoyable in 94 marching with a mixed rifle line. It really was unbelievable. :silly:

I know we had men in 86, the last year I think. Maybe LancerLady or LancerLegend can answer if it was just the one year!

Edited by LancerFi

--double post--

Edited by LancerFi