1980 DCI Finals

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a copy of the 1981 broadcast they showed on the tv....I never saw a 1980 broadcast..would love to see that.

~G~

If I'm not mistaken, Jeffsjetta said his dad taped it and for the last year now, he has been trying to find it.

LancerFi, I too would pay for a copy. I'll never forget the chanting from the crowd that night, "EAST, EAST, EAST!" :P

BDLegend, by the way, if you think maybe we should have won, imagine just how Great with a capital G you were!!! Just a thought....seamless, beautiful, wondrous, the total package, a great show-1980 Blue Devils!

Um, that was noooooooo wimpy horn line...oh what a sound, so deep, so dark, so rich, so beautiful. And your setting up for OTL/marching onto the field, legendary as far as I'm concerned!!

Rocketman you break my heart. Don't you just hate when you want to be in the guard and can't? We had sooo many horn people that wanted to be in the rifle line (silently), however in 94, they got their chance and I was happy for that!

You should have run, not walked to Revere for 1994. You would have had a lot of fun, that's if you could have put on another corps uniform...including busby....at least the red jacket would have been close!!

Lancerfi:

Yeah! I guess the horn line was a good alternative to guard. However, in 1978 I started a winterguard just so I could march in it. I loved winterguard.

Tell you what, had I not been on the west coast for the 2-7 "Super Corps", I'd have given it serious consideration. The busby thing though....... I don't know.

Rocketman - Guards R us

ampssuck

BDLegend, by the way, if you think maybe we should have won, imagine just how Great with a capital G you were!!! Just a thought....seamless, beautiful, wondrous, the total package, a great show-1980 Blue Devils!

thanks Nancy. :D

• 1 month later...

BD was on a mission in '80. You guys were absolutely flawless that year. Finals must've been unnerving for you though. It was SO close.... B)

I must admit. I secretly wanted to march in BD!

BD was on a mission in '80. You guys were absolutely flawless that year. Finals must've been unnerving for you though. It was SO close.... B)

I must admit. I secretly wanted to march in BD!

lol....well I secretly ALWAYS wanted to belong to a SCV tenor line, some of the sweetest books I have ever heard. ^OO^

For me, the 1980 showdown between Blue Devils and 27th Lancers is the epitome of great corps vying for the title. That's one of those years in which I hated to see either corps come in second. The only other year I felt that so strongly was in 1987, Garfield vs. Santa Clara.

As a person sitting in the audience, I remember being affected differently by the two performances, and I think it has everything to do with my expectations, and maybe nothing at all to do with what happened on the field. Perception vs. reality.

With Two-Seven, I didn't feel that the corps played it safe . . . because there's no way you could call such a daring and challenging show "safe." But I guess what I expected from that show was a blazing display of emotional intensity thrown in with that high demand and impeccable visual execution. What I felt at the end was . . . well, not exactly "flat," but not that exhilaration I was expecting, either.

OTOH, with Blue Devils, I never expected blazing emotion, because they dazzled with the smoothness of their performance, and a kind of restrained intensity. On the surface, it seemed like aloofness, yet it rarely hit me that way because that kind of "cool" was so integral to their style. Everything in that Blue Devils show just seemed to lock into place with an almost-audible "click." And, as much as we all remember Spirit's horn line that year, I also remember Blue Devils' horn line. What a supremely satisfying listening experience!

So I guess that after I watched both corps perform, I felt that Blue Devils had exceeded my expectations, while 27th Lancers had fallen slightly short, only in terms of my own emotional satisfaction. I wanted Two-Seven to blow me away . . . and, for whatever reason, that didn't happen. So I believed that Blue Devils had won, even before I heard the scores and placements.

I hope this doesn't sound like a bunch of disparaging comments about Two-Seven, a corps I have great affection for, and who I miss with all my heart. The thing is, I really wanted Two-Seven to win. I wanted an East Coast corps to shake things up in DCI's competitive hierarchy. (And, ironically, that did happen a few years later.) But I think my own expectations for each corps, which were different, played a role in how I perceived their finals performances. I guess I believed that if Two-Seven had given a "knock 'em dead" performance (whatever that highly subjective phrase means), there would've been no question of them winning. But because they left the door open, Blue Devils were able to capitalize on that and do what they did best: seamless sophistication.

Edited by byline

Yeah, LancerFi has said many times, that they left their best performance on the practice field prior to finals.

Why Z. made them do sooooo many run-throughs we will never know!

I truly think, had 2-7 come out with the "punch" they were capable of, the crown would have been theirs......but they looked tired and the performance showed.

But hey, I would have love to been in that top 3!

But hey, I would have love to been in that top 3!

Same here. Actually, I wouldn't have minded being among any of the corps on the field that night. Spectacular competition, with truly memorable performances! One of my all-time favorite years.