1980 DCI Finals

Wow - BD Legend - right at my heart. Funny how time heals all wounds.

Um, LancerLegend, maybe your wounds are healed but :sshh:

Anyway, BDLegend has made it easier to heal totally.....almost. :)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - BD Legend - right at my heart. Funny how time heals all wounds.

Um, LancerLegend, maybe your wounds are healed but :sshh:

Anyway, BDLegend has made it easier to heal totally.....almost. :)

:silly:

That was a really nice thing to say BD Legend! I think had you guys said it that night after retreat would have helped the folks out east heal a little sooner....but better late than never.

:)

"Spitfire" is indeed on the Allentown video. Excellent lineup including Crossmen, Defenders, Northstar, Boston, Skyryders, Spirit, Cavaliers.....Madison, 27th, Garfield, Bridgemen....et all

"Danny Boy" was brought back for that exact reason....Nobody would/could warm up to "Spitfire" after all the years of Danny Boy and Whitewater was an abysmal performance so the decision was made after that to try and generate some GE and excitement.

G, is the 1980 Allentown video still available?

That was a really nice thing to say BD Legend! I think had YOU GUYS said it that night after retreat would have helped the folks out east heal a little sooner....but better late than never.

:)

thanks............but although others may feel the same, I am only speaking for myself about this. :P

Edited by Blue Devil Legend

Speaking from a non-marching member level, I have to say this:

I personally liked 27th show better than BD in 1980. BD was almost a "clinical" show...albeit an excellent one - my personal opinion here! It simply did not "wow" me like Lancers did...and Spirit and Bridgemen. My band director was OBSESSED with Blue Devils and would play their show over and over. Me? I'd keep saying to him, "Show 27th...show Bridgemen...show Spirit"; I don't think he agreed with my choices of drum corps!

Even now, with my Legacy DVD, I watch 27, Bridgemen, Spirit. They are still my favorites from that year.

Lancerfi:

Whether or not anyone from our guard will admit it, I know the guard they always felt they wanted to be judged against was 27th. They were times when they joked about SCV's guard, but there was never anything but respect for you and your guard mates.

I also remember our two brass lines warming up together in Alton in 77 and your corps giving our corps a "talking" Doris. Good times!

Rocketman

ampssuck

Thanks Rocketman:

Rocketman - nice guy

(do you get the "Rocketman - nice guy? :P you usually say how you're feeling, or whatever, so I did it for you this time??) I know if it's funny I shouldn't have to explain it right? :(

What's a "Doris", should I know this? :huh::huh::huh:

I believe we felt the same about Phantom of course, along with the all male guards. I believe we felt we should be as good as or better than...it's just an opinion, and a very biased one at that about the male guards. The Phantom guard was so hard core, and I loved hard core, as well as making very difficult things look so easy. B)

And I have to tell you, I have more respect for your all female guard now. There is just something about still having all females that just reminds me of the old days! However I respect all guards mixed or not, just a little more for all the same.

I know, discrimination, but before you say anything, that's how it was back in the day. They weren't allowed in 2-7, and we didn't feel that we needed to have them for their upper body strength.

I did find it very enjoyable in 94 marching with a mixed rifle line. It really was a unbelievable. :silly:

I know we had men in 86, the last year I think. Maybe LancerLady or LancerLegend can answer if it was just the one year!

Lancerfi:

Thanks for the kind words. Even though I'm "old", I "got it."

Hard Core! That went both ways to be sure. 27th and Regiment were hard core. Yeah, there was Madison and Cavies but, they were suppose to be hard core and, in some cases, they fell short of that definition.

I, along with another brass player, am willing to admit we were guard rejects that had to settle on playing horn. We would have rather been in the guard, less wimps than the horn line I guess. I would never use the "D" word. That's just how it was back then and I have no problem with it then or now.

Doris = Pink lawn flamingo. Someone from 2-7 had rigged the beak with rubber bands and string so that it was more of a puppet. One of our contra players (the other wannabe guard guy) carried it inside his cape during performances.

If I can find a picture of it, I'll put it out there.

Rocketman - Not too old

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman

I have the 1981......I think that's the one ~G~ is talking about. Now I have heard there is a copy of the 1980 Allentown as well.....I would LOVE to have a copy if you know someone who has it. :)

I have the 1981......I think that's the one ~G~ is talking about. Now I have heard there is a copy of the 1980 Allentown as well.....I would LOVE to have a copy if you know someone who has it. :)

Ohhhhhhhhh Rocketman, the pink flamingo, very intense. I loved that flamingo.

Rocketman - not old at all, and remembers more than LancerFi..

They showed the guy who invented those about a month ago, I just laughed, and thought about "our pink flamingo"-I don't remember which state it came from....I'll need to look into that. I can tell you that someone from the south procured it for us... :sshh: :silly:

Malibu, I want to see 80 Allentown, to see the fire, then see the ashes a week later! :huh:

Please if anyone knows anyone who knows anyone with 1980 East Finals, I'd love to see that!! I would pay for a copy and for S & H.....

Thanks.

N

Rocketman wrote: I, along with another brass player, am willing to admit we were guard rejects that had to settle on playing horn. We would have rather beein in the guard, less wimps than the horn line I guess."

Um, that was noooooooo wimpy horn line...oh what a sound, so deep, so dark, so rich, so beautiful. And your setting up for OTL/marching onto the field, legendary as far as I'm concerned!!

Rocketman you break my heart. Don't you just hate when you want to be in the guard and can't? We had sooo many horn people that wanted to be in the rifle line (silently), however in 94, they got their chance and I was happy for that!

You should have run, not walked to Revere for 1994. You would have had a lot of fun, that's if you could have put on another corps uniform...including busby....at least the red jacket would have been close!!

Edited by LancerFi